Leech Lake Mn Camp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
leech Lake June 18 through june 22 planed Scamp factory tour visit to headwaters of the Missisippi river and friday night potluck. for reservations call 1 877 444 6777 or visit www.reserveusa.com and ask for reservations at the Leech Lake Recreation Area. Any questions E Mail lthree@lakedalelink.net
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Only for Scampers? How about us lonely little other fiberglass trailers here in Mn?
It sounds like fun!
Is this a regular campground? I did not find it online.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:40 AM   #3

Anyone who even thinks they have a Fiberglass camper is welcome!!
This is a Corps of engineers camp "Leech Lake Recreation Area".
Old 10-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Lyndon,We're in !
What loop/site numbers are you thinking? This is at Federal Dam-correct? Already looking forward to it.
Tony and Darlene (mt_horebites)
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Boy, wish I could make this gathering but at the moment I can't get out of town until June 22nd. Things could change before June arrives and maybe I'll be able to leave home earlier in the month.

I plan to be in the Backus area on June 26th. On the 27th I'll have the factory lift my trailer a few inches and put in a new convertor.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Lyndon,We're in !
What loop/site numbers are you thinking? This is at Federal Dam-correct? Already looking forward to it.
Tony and Darlene (mt_horebites)
We have started in the Picnic loop sites 61 through 75. See you there!!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Questions: This is Monday through Friday with the pot luck on the last night? Just want to make sure we are working on the same year calendar.

If we don't have snow on the roads tomorrow maybe we will drive over to look at the campground. Anything anyone wants to know? We have never driven down to Federal Dam so it will be an iteresting outing. We don't fish, nor do we camp much in our home state, so have never looked at this place.

Towns aren't close by up here, so you all might want to plan on having food on hand. Maybe another group meal could be done? If we decide to come along I'll get more active with the gathering. Hopefully that week of June will not be too hot, too bugy, or too rainy.

Should I check out how far away the bicycle trail is, where one can get meals, groceries, etc? Let me know.

Nancy in northern MN
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Questions: This is Monday through Friday with the pot luck on the last night? Just want to make sure we are working on the same year calendar.

If we don't have snow on the roads tomorrow maybe we will drive over to look at the campground. Anything anyone wants to know? We have never driven down to Federal Dam so it will be an iteresting outing. We don't fish, nor do we camp much in our home state, so have never looked at this place.

Towns aren't close by up here, so you all might want to plan on having food on hand. Maybe another group meal could be done? If we decide to come along I'll get more active with the gathering. Hopefully that week of June will not be too hot, too bugy, or too rainy.

Should I check out how far away the bicycle trail is, where one can get meals, groceries, etc? Let me know.

Nancy in northern MN
Nancy any help you can give us would be fine I am just acting as Jerry's computer contact I. Will be passing this on to Jerry. see there are 6 sites taken up so far
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #9

Our outing revealed a nicely kept campground. Site are easy to get into. Whoever took sites 62, 68, & 71 got pull through sites in case they don't know. Whoever will take site #72 will have someone's back yard behind them.

Summer 2006 there was some problem with elec and water due to a lack of funding. Have heard that it should be better in 2007, but this might be something you all want to look into closer to summer.

You who have self contained units will appreciate that as the toilets are few. There is a large new building that appears to be a shower and restroom facility.

Was relieved to find gas and groceries are about 21 miles to Longville or 26 to Cass Lake. I would personally drive the additional miles to go to Walker as I perfer that atmosphere.

Will write more later about things to do in the area.

By the way, does anyone know the day of the Scamp tour? I don't think I want to camp 5 nights. We ususally use our Scamp for road trips not camping. If I want to bond with mosquitoes and ticks I can just walk out my door.

Nancy from north MN
Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Is this a densely wooded campground? I have camped at Thomson Causeway in Thomson, Il which is an Army Corp of Eng campground right on the Mississippi River and sites are quite open, some with cement pads, all Level. If you are looking for a place to camp in that area I would give this a top rating as to cleanliness, etc. Also Grant River Rec Area in Potosi, Wisc is good. Hopefully there won't be any electrical problems. Nancy in Wisconsin
Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:24 PM   #11

Nancy,

This is not heavily wooded. The undergrowth has been removed. The poplar and maple trees are not huge. Sites are gravel pads. It was a grey/brow snowy day that we drove down and it would look so very different with green grass and leaves. Then one could see all the waterfowl and the feel would be much nicer.

This is an area that fishermen would be especially fond of, however I am going to post in the future about canoe and bike possibilities. If women were interested I even have a fabric outlet I could write about. It would help if I knew what interests people.

Leech lake is huge. This area of the lake is very marsh like. Leech lake produces some very nice quality wild rice and after taking my trip around the lake I now understand why.

Here is a link to a topographical map. The campground sits on a higher piece of land than what is around. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lon=...08&lat=47.2447

Hope this helps people, and I will try to answer questions that I can. Our excursion reminded me of the old program "Northern Exposure".

Nancy in northern MN
Old 12-01-2006, 05:40 AM   #12

Only 4 sites left in the picnic section . I am sure we will use some of the others also.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #13

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/chip...eation/biking/

For anyone interested in bicycle trails in the area you should check the above link. The Migizi Trail is just east of Cass Lake, MN near the rest stop. It is a scenic trail, a longer loop than I am up to. Nearby is the very scenic Norway Beach Visitor Center and campground. There is also a 2 mile trail through this property. Norway Beach is on the north side of Hwy 2 and Migizi is on the south side of Hwy 2. This could be a nice day outing for folks at the Leech Lake Camp. Grocery store in Cass Lake, but not much for dining.

Nancy in northern MN
Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #14

http://www.pinerivermn.com/Wood_Tick_Tour.htm

A possible day trip for those going to the Leech Lake Camp could be the Wood Tick Trail. This is short dirt road going east west below Hwy 200. It is a good road to see wild life on and it has some pan fish lakes for those who want a little lake for their canoe.

From the above link you can go to the left to the section with maps to see a map of this spot as well as maps of other places.

Nancy in northern MN
Old 02-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 1987 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We have site 72 so I guess we'll have someone's back yard. Looking forward to the get together and summer. Hope to make it up the Gunflint Trail before or after the rally.
Jim Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #16

Jim and Autumn,

I would try for the Gunflint at the end of the trip, saving the best for last?

The Leech Lake Camp starts on Monday and ends on a Friday?, so you want to take that into account as far as finding a camping spot on the North Shore on the weekend.

If this drought we are having doesn't break you also might want to check how things are on the Gunflint before driving up there. Wouldn't think June would be a problem, but we sure are dry and last year they had some fires up there. The dry weather should not bother the Leech Lake camp. The only good thing about the drought is that we don't have so many mosquitoes.

Nancy
Old 02-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Jim and Autumn,

I would try for the Gunflint at the end of the trip, saving the best for last?

The Leech Lake Camp starts on Monday and ends on a Friday?, so you want to take that into account as far as finding a camping spot on the North Shore on the weekend.

If this drought we are having doesn't break you also might want to check how things are on the Gunflint before driving up there. Wouldn't think June would be a problem, but we sure are dry and last year they had some fires up there. The dry weather should not bother the Leech Lake camp. The only good thing about the drought is that we don't have so many mosquitoes.

Nancy
Thanks for the heads up. We will definitely check the weather and reservation availability before embarking. Do you know of any must stay at spots along the Gunflint?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #18

Regarding the Gunflint Trail. It has been years since we were up the trail. What one wants to see and do depends on what one likes. I thought you had probably been there before, if not my memory is that Bearskin Lake is pretty and a million years ago Four Lake was a nice place to camp. Gunflint Lake near Grand Marais is also very nice. I believe the fire may have been towards the end of the trail, but I'm not sure on that. If you haven't been on the North Shore before there are many, many things to see on the way. You may want a few nights on the way to Gunflint. Hope this link will work for you.

http://www.gunflint-trail.com/planner/camping.html

Nancy
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #19

Thanks alot. We drove around Lake Superior a few year back, but didn't include a trip up the trail. We stopped for lunch in Grand Marais and loved the ambience. We also heard about the trail. Now that we have more time, we're heading back.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #20

Off topic again. Jim and Autumn, Gooseberry Falls is far too popular on a weekend. We avoid weekends. If you are able to walk stop at the parking lot at Tettegouche State Park (parking lot is off highway and is free) take the hike to Shovel Point. It is lovely. If you are able to camp at Tettegouche you can do more hikes to the waterfalls, there is the tall one and then there is the two step falls (many stairs). Both of the trails can be reached from the Campground. This campground will be booked for weekends so if you are interested you must make reservations. One must pay park fees to get to the Campground and the Superior Hiking Trail link up near the campground. Because some hiking is required at Tettegouche there is not such a mob as at the more popular Gooseberry. Gooseberry parking lot is also free in case there isn't a mob there. You could drive through to see if the large lot is packed.

If you are unable to hike just sit back and enjoy the scenery from the car. If you are able to hike let me know because there are so many short hikes worth while along the shore.

Nancy