mexico - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
mexico

Is there anyone out there who RV's in Mexico?

My folks did for years, but I guess those days are over.......
richard Trafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We used to fly down every winter (not with the trailer, obviously,) for about a month from mid-Dec to mid Jan, but we stopped going several years ago when all the out-of-control drug violence, "narconista" turf wars, highjackings, bombings, drive-by shootings, etc. started really getting out of hand. The cops are all afraid to do anything, or on the take, so don't expect a lot of help from them either. There are now armed gangs of thugs and druggies that actually set up illegal roadblocks and steal from you anything they want with impunity. Refuse their demands and they won't think twice about leaving your carcass in the roadside ditch. Until the country gets its collective act together, I'll spend my Yankee tourist dollars here at home in the USA. I especially wouldn't even dream of taking an RV down there, particularly through the Mexican border states. I'm sure there will be some who will say they've done it for years with no problems, but not me, thank you.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I'm setting up to take my Bigfoot to Mexico this winter
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Thanks Greg:
It's what I thought.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Greg:

I forgot to tell you, (and I see you are from Washington)
I'm from Bellingham.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Since your avatar says "New Mexico", is it safe to assume you were once from WA, but are now in NM?
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
"Tioga George" was in Mexico for several years with his motor home, but I think he may have quit it, too. He recently had some troubles with thieves and with a police shakedown.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #8

Greg:
Grew up in Bellingham, went to WSU until I transferred to Oregon, (UofO) and then
never looked back...Bend, Eugene, Pendleton etc.
Been in New Mexico last 20, and worked with Federal Bureau of Prisons, (BOP) with Mexican
Deportables.

I have many many Mexican friends, and they all say the same. "Don't come yet"

What part of WA. you claim as home?

Richard
Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

Mike:
The safest way is to "fly in" I guess, which defeats the whole purpose
of trailering..............

Richard
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #10

An alternative opinion:Mexico Travel Advisory: Hysterical or Legit? | The People's Guide To Mexico
Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
There used to be trains that allowed you to load your RV on that then went down into Mexico. Don't know if they still have them.

As for myself I don't think one individuals experience good or bad is a convincing argument. I do know I have never heard of criminals setting up road blocks for the purpose of robbery in the USA. Occasoional car jacking but even that is pretty rare and isolated.

Not saying Mexico is a bad place to visit, just saying there is some risk that is greater than I would face in this country. If nothing else I have a better idea of areas to avoid here.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Oh sweet! One person made it out alive, I'm good!

You couldn't pay me enough. Go read the stories of guys traveling for the baja 500 (including the engine stolen out of an airplane overnight, and having to dismantle the plane to get it over the border on a car trailer). Plenty of bribing, etc., in areas.

I would feel ok in most resort areas, but who's taking an rv to them? It seems to me an rv, even one of our small ones, would be painting a big red target for them.

There's enough of the u.s. for me to see.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Moreover, an accident in Mexico will turn into a disaster. First you have to have Mexican insurance and, if you do have an accident, both parties are usually hauled off to the local Police station where the officer in charge will determine who is at fault and, short of going before a judge, there is no way to get that determination changed. Soooooo you get hit by a local citizen who ran a stop sign and is a third cousin of the Police chief and guess who is at fault???? For this reason even the locals don't want to call the police when an accident happens.

Police pay is so pathetic in Mexico it should be no surprise that under the counter payments will usually trump being right or wrong.

Go to Mexico only after you have seen everthing there is to see in the U.S. of A. and everything in our northern provinces as well....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #14

I think RogerDat has the right idea with better being able to assess environments we are familiar with. Canadians who have not travelled to the US are familiar only with media reports of the large amounts of weapons, violence, and the high murder rate; yet anyone who has camped in the US knows it is a beautiful place, full of kind and generous people. I suspect it is the same for Mexico.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #15

While certain inner-city venues in the U.S. tend to generate the majority of crime statistics, it's still considered safe to travel throughout the U.S. and Canada. But, as far as travel safety is concerned, Mexico can never be called the "same" as it's northern neighbors.

Citing United Nations figures for murder rates for the the past 5 years we find, per 100,000 peeps:

Canada: 2006 = 1.6 2011 = 1.6 = No change
United States: 2006 = 5.7 2011 = 4.7 = 21% Decrease
Mexico: 2006 = 8.1 2011 = 23.7 = 290% Increase
Source: http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-...istics2013.xls

In the United States I'm savy enought to know that areas of certain cities aren't ideal tourist destinations, in Mexico, who knows ?????

And that corruption is the rule of thumb in the local police depts it's a no brainer, when you need help, there often isn't any. Even the locals often don't like to call the police when they need help.

I used to enjoy travel to Mexico but, just based on personal experiences, no mo for this gringo.....

Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
There used to be trains that allowed you to load your RV on that then went down into Mexico. Don't know if they still have them.
My brother and his wife did that trip a couple years back. Don't know if you can still do it. They really enjoyed it. I would imagine that if you do RV in Mexico, it would make a lot of sense for a group of vehicles to travel together in a convoy for safety and support.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #17

Traveling in a convoy would let you share the expenses of the armed guards and their "technical" you might want along with you in certain areas.

BTW: In Mexico the general advice from everyone, from the U.S. Dept of State to the locals, is "Never travel at night". Hmmmm. I wonder why???

Old 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #18

Apparently livestock is drawn to the heat of the roads at night, also, not all vehicles travelling have lights.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I kind of think it would be hard to not be considered an affluent and potentially lucrative robbery target in Mexico. Think about it. If you have even a modest $10k RV it represents 3 times the median income. When traveling one has money and credit cards, cameras, laptops and other expensive items.

I can still recall when the car rental companies in Fla. stopped putting the company bumper stickers on the back of all their rental cars. Too many tourists from overseas were being robbed. It was shortly after Fla. made it easier to get a carry permit for a hand gun. Tourists had money and would almost never have guns, that "Alamo" sticker and an accent made you a target.

In Mexico one will correctly be perceived as a "Have" and one that has the least probability of being around to pursue a criminal case in court or have the ability to easily navigate the legal system. And the chances you are armed is 0. Criminal does not equal too dumb to pick a good victim.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #20

And... if you were armed, the locals would lock you up for that, a serious crime in Mexico. It's a lose, lose situation.

Sing the song: So here I am, in the Tijuana jail, ain't got no one, to go my bail......
.... just send my mail, to the Tijuana jail!