Michighan Non-event - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 07:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Red face

I am proposing that folks join Dale and I at Ionia Recreation Area in Michigan for Father's Day - we will be there the 15th -18th.
Possible pot-luck Saturday at 5 PM.

This is East of Grand Rapids- West of Lansing, not far off I-96. Quiet park with not a huge campground, but nice enough and usually quiet, but who knows....
Make Reservations through the DNR-

http://www.midnrreservations.com/cam...s/presults.cfm

We have reserved site # 78 and there seem to be quite a few available nearby as of today.

Oh, BTW this is one of Dale's Father's day gifts, so don't tell the grandkids where we are!!!!! (We promised to take them camping this year, but we're not quite ready for it.....)

Pat
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Casita ('Cassie')
Hello!

You have a neighbor in site #76! Unfortunately we can only spend one night (Friday the 15th) because we have father's day plans, but we'd love to meet you! By the way, there is a minimum two-night stay at this campground, so if anyone would like to take our second night, just let us know! We're all paid up, but we're not sure what campground rules are on something like this.

See you on the 15th!
MikeandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #3

I forgot to mention some important details about this park - Yes, there is electricity and all sites are Egg Friendly!
Within minutes of Greater Grand Rapids with lots to do if it rains - Ethnic Restaurants-shopping-Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park -Antique Shopping- Theaters- Flea Markets- and of Course the Grand Rapids Public Museum and Art Museum...........I'll have lots of local info for folks who want to go exploring........

Pat
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'll be there!

I don't own a rig...yet and I live within a half an hour or so from there.
Nice park, there are horse camps there also, dog friendly too.

I just saw a Scamp 5th Wheel for the first time today!
Scamp owner graciously showed it to me. And I gotta say this...its adorable!

Although I don't think I could full time in one!

Anyways love to see some of the other rigs, see ya there!
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Acorn 13 ft
Hello fellow Michiganders!

Just got my "new" '79 Acorn last Monday. Having difficulty finding someone to install a hitch on my 2000 Intrepid, so it is not likely that I will able to join the festivities in Ionia over Father's day. I am looking forward to staying in that park and paddling around sometime soon though. I would also love to get together at a future time with you kindred spirits.

Have a wonderful time, and miss me. If anyone is so inclined, toss back a cold one for me!

Kat
Kathy Kulchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Having difficulty finding someone to install a hitch on my 2000 Intrepid,
Kathy, try your local U-Haul place, they install more hitches than anyone else!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 84 13 ft Sunline (stickbuilt)
How did this turn out?
Kevin & Georgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #8

Talking

Well, now I know what they mean .......throw a party and nobody comes
Maybe someone else can try again later in the summer.......
Friday we arrived at the park around 3 and by 4 pm were sitting in the shade with a cool drink, watching all the "big boys" try to get their rigs into their spaces. Kind of like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie roll pop?"- "How many attempts does it take to get that thing onto the pad? "
Then there's leveling, push out the extra room, get out the gas grill, put up the outdoor lights, allign the satelite dish for the TV, start a huge bonfire..... then go inside and turn the airconditioner up full blast! This is camping?????

It was hot and sunny all weekend, so we made good use of our new canopy shade and bottled water. We spent the weekend doing 2 of our most favorite things in life- reading and sleeping... and at times attempted to do both simultaneously
Even made it into Ionia on Saturday afternoon to do some antique shopping (lots of nice shops). Then back to camp for a cool shower and a nap......

We did not leave till Monday morning so we had time to engage in another well beloved pastime on Sunday- watching how long it took everyone else to pack up and close down their big rigs for travel ......then watched the long line as they had to wait an hour or more to empty their tanks.
Now I must admit that our old Casita did have a toilet and we did the yucky clean-out bit too , but we decided that it was not worth the effort it took to deal with it. There is a port-a-potty on board (it can be emptied into any toilet), but we have yet to make use of it. Public restrooms are soooo much easier ......

So much for a non-event. Sorry everyone missed it- we had a great time!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Pat, thanks for trying to get us in the Midwest together!

We planned our first ever garage sale that weekend because there was a Family Fun Fest down the road that was sure to bring loads of people in the area. Since we live in the sticks, we had to take advantage of the traffic.

Michigan summers are so short, ours is just about packed full...showers, weddings, more showers, relatives coming to town, quick trips without egg, and our family vacation in the UP. Then it is back to school for the almost 6 year old and back to hibernation for Mike and I.

I also love watching the big rigs wrestle with the complicated set-ups. There are not many big rigs where we camp (no hook ups at 12 mile beach in Grand Marais) but a couple manage to squeeze between the trees. Last year we watched a 30+ foot motorhome crunching the second half of the rig with a tree. No damage to the tree, quite a deep crunch in the rig.

Glad you had a great time! Next year when our egg is mostly done (I hope) we can go to a weekend rally.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Darn! I really did want to come but forgot that my nephew was having his graduation party Saturday.

But glad you had a good time

Plus I have been working my fanny off getting my house ready to be shown.
After wasting time trying to sell by owner, I finally had a light bulb moment and listed it last Friday.

Please PRAYfor me to sell it as you know the market and economy in Michigan is "problematic"

When I sell THEN I can buy my rig and get on the road!!
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote