Miltary members rally? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13 ft / 2003 Honda Element EX 2wd
Seeing all the campers both retired and active duty in my travels across the US, I thought it might be a cool idea to invoke discussion into the idea of planning a rally in the future at a military base or Armed Forces Recreation area. There are many really nice ones to visit. I recently spent an extended weekend at Naval Air Station Key West and really enjoyed it with some of the retirees that were there.

Any thoughts on this?

Gary Michalosky
Parkland, FL
Gary Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

That might work depending on the Base. I haven't explored the possibility much since I know more civilians than I do Military folks right now.

ET1 Simson, USNR-Retired
Old 03-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #3

Well, chalk up one other interested party on this post!! I'll give it a week or two and see if this draws any momentum..

I am heading to "Uchee" RV park at Ft. Benning this weekend on a pre-scouting run before planning a family outing there next week. They can support upto 200 sites for a rally there, which is what prompted my quere for one. I'm curious to see what type of rallies we can have there, but betting it will be mainly military and sponsored guests!!

Quote:
That might work depending on the Base. I haven't explored the possibility much since I know more civilians than I do Military folks right now.

ET1 Simson, USNR-Retired
Old 03-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The PX/BX sells a book and map showing what each base has including the Camp Grounds.

I parked at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station Camp Ground for 5 years. What a great place.

I camped at Fort McCoy, WI once and it was another great place and they let Cillyvillians camp there also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #5

Yes!! I have the holy book of military travel know as "the Military road atlas" published by "military living" (www.militaryliving.com). I've been using them since 1991 and they've been helpful!!

I just did my scouting run of Uchee Army Campground (www.ftbenningmwr.com) and found it to be a very well established CG! I loved that they have a 60 channel CATV and telephone hook-up on each campsite (full hook-up ones) and is included in the $19.00/day fee!!

The campground is located on Ft. Benning, but is not in the gated area and is easily accessible if your bringing sponsored guests, which means one doesn't have to worry about getting a base visitor pass just to use the CG!!

I already booked a week long campout starting this Saturday evening, March 31st through Friday, April 8th, which I am bringing my son and some of my extended family. There is much there to entertain for a whole week. Anyone interested in heading that way next week give me a shout on my direct email "garymic1@aol.com". I'm still running on my blackberry so this is touch and go still over the next couple weeks!!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
There is also a discussion group on Yahoo about military campgrounds.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...mping/messages

Tom Trostel, MSG, USAR, retired
Old 03-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #7

Thanks Tom for the info! I enlisted into that forum, looking at it, it appears to be a somewhat new forum.

Like I said, I;ll hang out on this topix for a couple weeks to see if any momemtum grows.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Talking

Quote:
Thanks Tom for the info! I enlisted into that forum, looking at it, it appears to be a somewhat new forum.

Like I said, I;ll hang out on this topix for a couple weeks to see if any momemtum grows.
Gary, I've always wanted to take advantage of the camping bene and we haven't gotten around to it yet. There are a number of places I'd like to visit and we will when we have the time.
To prepare for that eventuality, I bought a book on-line a year or two ago that listed every military facility and decribes the accomodations available. There are literally hundreds. Most however, haven't got the space available for more than a few campers. Seems to me that book was not the one you mention but I cannot recall the name at present. I just went looking for it and wouldn't you know it's one of the things that made the trip north with herself to our new digs in Johnson City, Tennessee.

Perhaps if you send her a PM she can look up specific bases that you may have questions about if your Atlas is at all deficient on campground information.

Did you know that there are actually lighthouses available for retirees and active duty to stay in? How cool is that?

Doug
BM2, USCGR, ret.

Still waiting for someone to buy this lovely home in Miami...
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #9

The book Doug is referring to is entitled: Military Living's Military RV, Camping & Outdoor Recreation around the world - including golf courses & marinas. It is dated 2004.

This is a nice little book that includes a map of each state showing the locations. In the descriptions of the facilities it includes any special restrictions and eligibilities. Some areas are more open to guests and some are very restrictive.

I'll be happy to look up places if you want any information.

Kathy
(in Tennessee)
Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #10

. Doug and Kathy,

Oh yes, I spend the bucks and got an updated Military Living Road Atlas a couple months back. I was mentioning how I have used it well since 1990.. Thanks for the offer!!

You are in Miami and haven't been out to a military CG yet? You have to spend an extended weekend at NAS Key west!! I was just there a couple weeks ago and met some really nice people who are full-timing it, it's a lot of fun and certainly am looking forward to the full week with my son at Uchee Creek starting this Saturday!!

I'm had just returned back from a 12 month tour in Kuwait in January and I'm burning up my civilian vacation and comptime before going back to work in May. I'm heading back to Tamarac, FL after April 8th..

Gary Michalosky
USCGR PS1,
NCWRON 26
Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #11

Talking

You are in Miami and haven't been out to a military CG yet?

Part of the problem is that both herself & I are still employed full time. Put's a real crimp in the Trillium time.
The other complication is her job (and home) is in Johnson City, Tennessee and I'm still in Miami working for the U until you buy my house. (Kendall... "A" Schools... great neighborhood... convenient to the Turnpike and Bahama Breeze) Our trailer is also currently in TN as they made me keep removing it from the CG Comm Sta down here where it lived. (Darn hurricanes.)

I'd love to drag the trailer to Yorktown. I did A school there back in 1972 and it's still one of my favorite places. Fabulous bike riding and great kayaking. They had a little campground out by Wormley Creek that was idyllic.

I see you're a Coastie too. If you'd been around about fifteen years ago, I'd likely have been your coxswain on drills out of Station Miami Beach. Drove boats down there for 28 years.

Glad your deployment is ended and we'll hope it's the last time you have to wear khaki boondockers.

Semper Paratus
Doug

(For a COASTIE, a VERY special deal on the house!)
Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
www.militarycampgrounds.us is a great site for military campgrounds in the U.S.
Bill Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #13

Talking

Quote:
www.militarycampgrounds.us is a great site for military campgrounds in the U.S.
Thanks for the link, Bill. That's the first time I've seen that site.
Unfortunately, now I'm all depressed. I checked my little "secret stash" of a great campground and discovered that it's been closed. Got damaged in a hurricane a few yrears ago and the Coast Guard never reopened it.

EVEN THERE hurricanes are the bane of my existence!!!

Oh well... Cheatham Annex is pretty nice as well. (Just bigger and full of squids.)

Doug
Special military discount on the house in Miami.