Mountain Ranch Rally , So. Cal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
UPDATE: OWNER HAS AGREED TO US USING THE PROPERTY!!!

A *DEFINATE* private property rally opportunity has come up.

A relative lives on some church property here in the San Bernardinos. The property is owned by a church and is an old horse ranch of many many acres, tucked up in the woods in an area of Crestline, Ca. called Valley of Enchantment. (VOE) There are no more horses, but right next door is a horse ranch with rentals and trails up into the alpines. The location is at approx. 5000 feet, 1/2 hour north of San Bernardino, Ca. off of highway 18 and 138. Vegetation abounds, pine forest, oak forest and dogwoods, as well as grassy areas and a small stream. It is a quiet space as well.

From Los Angeles, or Orange County, plan on 1-2 1/2 hours drive east. Judge your distance from there!

It's on Sept 14-16.....AFTER Labor day where it's still nice up here, but all the kids are back in school (Yay!)

The property is not a campground, there are no cabins or groups we would need to share with. There is a private residence on the property, however, that we can see and need to respect. In front of the residence is a small common area with benches made from logs and electricity for lights etc.

The set up is similar to Cambria, in that there are no trailer spaces per se', but we will be allowed to park our trailers in any numbers of areas, either as a group, or if you prefer, away from the group. (Some places would require 4wd) Most everything is reasonably level, and there would be no massive blocking needed to level.

There is one area that is shaded full time that 16s could be backed into in a row, with plenty of space in between so you could have your own site, deploy your awning, set up xpens etc, have plenty of room, yet still be in a group. I have looked and basically laid out imaginary sites and we could fit 10 trailers there with no difficulty or crowding. This area would also be well suited for a central meeting area. You would have to unhitch and park your vehicles in a close by area if you wanted to be here. Tents can pretty much be plopped anywhere, if you don't have a trailer to bring.

There is also a large field which could easy accommodate a couple dozen trailers, but it is unshaded. It IS however, well laid out, grassy and level. There are plenty of other spots that are mostly shaded, but would only accommodate single rigs and would require some creative leveling. We are not restricted to one area, so.. do as you choose!

Water is easily available via two close by bibs (You would have to use your tanks, sorry) and there is a dump station with water on the property we would be allowed to use. There is even a porta potti/chemical outhouse available. Other than this, you would need to be 100% self contained. Electricity will not be provided. (Generators are allowed, however) There are no showers. It's boondocking with a fudge factor. (Small stores are in the area, just a few blocks down the road, as well as a large supermarket in Crestline.) Bring your own chairs, and tables if you have them. There is also LOTS of open space suitable for horse shoes, ring toss, football, landing the Queen Mary.. you get the picture.

Because it's a church property, we will have to respect their rules, no smoking or alcohol is allowed (Sorry!) and, unfortunately, this area is under strict fire restrictions, so no fires are allowed, but we can adjust! (Maybe a horridly tacky display of stupid awning lights to chat by!) Propane appliances are OK, as well as charcoal BBqs. Pets are very welcome under the normal "Rules" (Keep on leash or contained).. just like any other public place.. and pick up after them!

Close by are Lake Gregory (5 mins drive) where you can fish, hike or bike all the way around or just relax on the lake shore. This is an alpine lake and is about as rustic as it can get for Southern California. One small end of the Lake is set aside as a swim and water slide area, other than that, it is un improved, so to speak, to keep the natural surroundings. You can not put a private canoe or kayak in, however, the county of San Bernardino has graciously provided overpriced Rentals :-P and you may paddle to any area of the lake you wish to fish or just cruise. No motors are allowed. As mentioned above, the crowded county park area is at one end of the large lake, most of the lake is uncrowded and quiet with TONS of shoreline to explore without the "Flatlanders" touristy stuff.

Lake Silverwood is also just a few minutes away, it does allow motors and has a day use area and fishing. Geocaching abounds in the area as well. For those less rustic, Lake Arrowhead is about 20 mins away, with all the shops and upscale places to eat that one would associate with a high rent resort district. Big Bear Lake is a short day trip away as well. The area is packed with forest service roads and old mines and ghost towns for those that like bumpy exploring, and there are 3 Fire Look Outs that are open to the public anywhere from 20 mins to a couple hours on mountain roads away. You can also easily drop into the desert and see Palm Springs, Pioneer Town, Joshua tree.. but these are long days.

There is also easy hiking opportunities within walking distance of the property. Camp Seely (Where a large chunk of "The Parent Trap redo was filmed) has a lovely trail right on a large creek in cool pines and oaks. I can do the hike easily, and it is wilderness hiking, away from everything, yet just a minute or two from the property by car. (If you are a movie buff, this is the town/area where most of "Next" with Nicholas Cage was filmed, as well as a few Star Trek episodes, and various other name dropping tv shows and movies)

Cost will be $10 per nite, per trailer, from Friday thru Sunday nite, if you choose. Come for all the days, come for one..(Max is 3 nites) Large trash must be taken with you. Once it is determined that there is interest, we can get the details about pot lucks and a group meal on saturday.. (There is a guy up here that has a portable BBQ that looks like a locomotive that caters if we wish. Good eats!)

WE are responsible for cleaning the area when we pull out, bring rakes, trash bags etc.) (You will be paying an intantly refundable deposit SEE PAYMENT DETAILS) This is someones home and we need to leave it as clean as we found it. We are also responsible for our own individual insurance. Remember, this is NOT a sanctioned campground, it is private non profit property and we will be making a donation to the church, NOT renting space.

Here are some pictures of the area. (Also, follow the links above)

Lake Gregory

Click image for larger version

Name:	LAKEGREGORYVIEW.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	9589
[attachment=11937:atta
chment]

Please post here and tell me if you have interest in attending. We can only realistically have a max of 20 units, so act quickly!

ALL ARE WELCOME! TENTS, MHS, CHILDREN, DOGS, WOMBATS AND EVEN CATS!
Attached Thumbnails
lakegregoryclouds.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
We have a tentative trip planned for Labor Day, but it may fall through due to weather conditions, in which case, this sounds terrific--it would be great to meet more of the forum members and see some from the OR Rally (I believe we got to see inside your trailer, Gina, but we didn't get to meet you).

What a beautiful spot you've found!

Val
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #3

Registry
Hi Val,

Sorry I missed you. I was no doubt running around trying to drum up change for gas money to get home.

This would be after labor day, so... do both!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We have a show in that area the fourth weekend of the month so if we came down early we could do it the weekend of the 14th and just play for a few days until we headed back into the big city to work.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #5

Registry
That weekend is entirely possible.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We won't be home from vacation till about labor day,dunno may be home before then, playing it as we go kind of thing. The weekend of the 14th is a no go, I have a baby shower to attend. The weekend of the 22nd maybe a wedding reception dinner (date is up in the air at this point).

*sigh* toooo many thing going on! Not enough time!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #7

Registry
Dang Lizbeth!..

Thats the date we got
Old 08-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Which date?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #9

Registry
Sept. 14-16

We have the property officially! Title changed to reflect

I will be posting a map shortly. Payment total will be announced (and where to send payments) when I arrange for the BBQ.. that is if folks is interested. Should we just plan on doing our own in a big group?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
<strike>Robert will have the Odyssey in Malibu. I can't tow the Fiber Stream with the Geo Metro.</strike> <strike>I'd have to <gasp> use the tent.</strike>
Robert's taking the Geo and Tent to Malibu. I get the Odyssey and Fiber Stream.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Gina

Thanks for setting this up...

Jim and I would be very interested in your weekend in that beautiful area. Please put Jim and I (and Jerry) down for the rally.

Make that for 3 nights Gina- Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Thanks..
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #12

Registry
Glad to have ya!

Here is the sign up list:

1. Gina D. and Rotten Beagles, 17 ft Burro ~ Fri, Saturday and Sunday nites - PAID
2. Carol and Jim & Jerry the Cat, 17 ft Casita ~ Fri, Saturday and Sunday nites- PAID
3. Linda and Dale and Dallas the Cat, 17 ft Casita ~ Fri, Saturday and Sunday nite - PAID
4. Frederick, No Cats, 16 ft Fiberstream ~ Fri and Saturday Nites - PAID
5. Cindy Ross and Hubby, (?) ~ Fri and Saturday nite - PAID
6. Val & Kayla, 19 ft Bigfoot ~ Fri and Saturday nite - PAID
7. Chuck H. and Pups, 17 ft Casita ~ Fri, Saturday and Sunday nites
8. Bobbie Mayer, TW Campster ~ Fri, Saturday nites
Old 08-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #13

Well, count Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat too, (he met Gina at Bullard) in for that weekend. Friday through Sunday. I would think no, on the catering as there may not be enough people and we could just do pot lucks and hot dog roasts just as easy but we will go with the flow and do what ever works for everyone.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #14

Registry
Gotcha!

Yeah, I think thats a better idea. We each burn our own meat for an entree, then we have a pot luck table for the rest.

Opinions?

and Fred, you can share my trailer.. I owe you one from Bullards 06!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #15

Registry
OK, here are some rather complicated directions

Address: 22472 Waters Drive, Cedar Pines Park, Ca.

FROM anywhere in So. Cal, find Highway 30. It is just on the northern border of San Bernardino and has access directly from the 215, the 10, and now (YAY!) directly from the 210. The 210 connector is complete and it turns into Highway 30 at it's eastern terminus. All freeway.. all the way!

Name:	crestmap1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	9604

From Highway 30, you will take the Waterman Avenue/Highway18/Mountain Resorts exit. Go NORTH.
Stay on Waterman Avenue. At 40th street, it will become Highway 18. See that big hill?. Thats where you are going.. 12 miles up.

Name:	crestmap2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	9605

You will take the Crestline/Lake Gregory Regional Park exit at the crest of the mountain. You are now on Highway 138.
Continue on the 138 to the first stop. Go through the stop (After you stop, of course) and just as soon as you crest the "Hump" in the intersection, you will see a street angle off to the left. This is the continuation of Highway 138. Veer onto it. (Hey... you now know why I call this berg Hooterville)

Name:	crestmap3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	9606

It is a short but somewhat steep and windy downhill leg. At the "T" (Refer back to second map) turn left.
Continue to the stop at Waters drive. Turn left.
Continue on Waters to 22472. I will place a big sign out on Waters, on the right, to direct you into the property. It creeps up on you, but if you overshoot, there is a large church parking lot you can turn around in a block or so down the street.

If at looking at the map you think you can come up the backside of the 138 from the 15... fohged aboud it! That route is not easily navigated with a trailer in tow. Highly unrecommended. Very steep, very windy, single lane.. and is dangerous. It will only take 10 mins to get to Highway 18 from that point on the 15.. relax.. and enjoy, er, San Bernardino...
Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #16

Registry
Payments:

Please mail $10 per trailer/tent (Children's or guests tents in your site don't count) per nite of attendance to:

Gina M. Di Vincenzo
PO Box 1344
Crestline, Ca. 92325

Post and let me know when you have sent payment. Also, the owner has requested that each trailer bring a check for $25 as a security deposit. They will hold the check there and you will get your check back when you leave. Make check payable to "Celebration Centre". (Yes, spelled like the Canadians do LOL!)

I am pretty sure there are no rabble rouser's among us.. and your check will never get used (I am not sure about Fred tho.)
Old 08-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #17

So how much is the deposit check for or do we just leave it blank and they fill in the amount?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #18

Registry
Minor details!!! $25 bones.

Nope. no one writes a blank check
Old 08-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #19

Check to you will go in the mail tomorrow. You should see it in a few days.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Checks made out $30 for 3 nights... It will go out tomorrow.

I'm happy that you mentioned the road not to take... That's the one Jim was planning on taking... we won't be taking that road.

We looked at it on the map - looks very windy but looks like a main road. Very deceiving.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote