MT Must.think.summer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Casita 17LD
Montana
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Cynthia in Montana
Must.think.summer

At the first 2020 snow in Montana (Billings area) one starts thinking of next summer! Is anyone entertaining some sort of social thing? Who has done a rally in the past? Where? I can be a great worker bee toward this, not a leader our first year. Thanks.
Cynthia in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Let the 2021 planning begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia in Montana View Post
At the first 2020 snow in Montana (Billings area) one starts thinking of next summer! Is anyone entertaining some sort of social thing? Who has done a rally in the past? Where? I can be a great worker bee toward this, not a leader our first year. Thanks.
I normally start to plan (and order things) in January after the holidays. But this year I have already started to plan a South Dakota trip and order things for the scamp for next year. Only thing different so far is that I can store the deliveries in the Scamp instead of on my living room floor. Let the planning begin, we need to make up for 2020. I did go on one trip this year but got sick in the smoke and cut the trip short. Lolo pass was 34 degrees when I was there in September just after the snow.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We had snow last week and more predicted for tomorrow so my mind is on getting my snowblower in working order
We had multiple camping trips and rallies booked for this past Summer , all of which were cancelled
As much as we hope and wish that 2021 will be better , we are going to hold off making any plans / reservations till late next Spring
Right now my pessimism / common sense is overriding my optimism
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Well this isn't a rally but we will be Scamping in the Green Oasis RV park in Greybull Wy May 20-25. We are staying there as it is close to the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Refuge and plan on spending time viewing the mustangs as well as the scenic beauty of the area. Maybe some shed hunting as well.
George n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #5

Montana
Registry
Great way to group

Post like yours is a good idea. We aren’t all that far from Greybull. Anyone else out there?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Thinking winter

Quote:
At the first 2020 snow in Montana (Billings area) one starts thinking of next summer!
A lot of my summer camping is related to ham radio outings, but I got a call this week from a group that wants to use my boondocking lot for "winter field day".
They want to set up the tents and camp in the WINTER. Not for me, but I'll stop by and see them.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #7

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I expect Montana this summer to be just like last summer. The vast majority of people, feeling the only socially acceptable way to get together is camping, will be out flooding public lands, along with half the population from all the other more populated western states fleeing to Montana.

Regardless of vaccination, I think it is possible to hold an appropriately socially-distanced camping event, but you need to work at it. And if there are lots of other people around, and lots of children, you can pretty much forget about it. That was my experience last spring when people were first testing out getting together in public. I camped with friends, and though there were a lot of other people around, a lot of places in the west are still pretty well dispersed. So our nearest neighbors were no closer than 75 yards. Neighbors were far away (by 6-foot covid standards), and as adults we could refrain from sharing food, and hang out together outdoors. Fairly safe.

But the kids! Cross pollination happening all over the place. Of course all the parents could have been really strict and kept their kids in camp and miserable, and of course that would have been the responsible thing to do, but I'm sure many of us have noticed (and taken part in) plenty of "well we're attempting to be responsible but letting our guard down more than we should" kind of activities.

Anyway, I camped just as much last summer as any other, and the same will be true this summer, though it'll be my usual of getting together with a couple families or friends, not rallies.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:01 PM   #8

Montana
Registry
Maybe a non-rally

Ahhh, free range parenting!
We hit Three Forks, Fort Benton, the Slippery Ann in the Missouri Breaks for elk watching, & lots of other short trips around Montana last summer. Felt pretty safe— highly recommend that for anyone this year. The campgrounds & fairgrounds, etc, are not stacked up on each other. Guess we could post an itinerary & see who shows up for coffee.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #9

Montana
I think smaller, less formal gatherings are still going to be the responsible thing for this year.

And yeah, "free-range". Nothing like the old days...Most of my friends have to keep their kids pretty well supervised at home, but the place I'm thinking of where we camped last spring is wide open and flat. Great visibility. They keep much looser control of their kids at that site. I imagine if any of my friends gave their kids the freedom I had growing up, they'd be in jail. Too bad.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:49 PM   #10

Montana
Registry
Must.think.summer

Can’t stand it any longer. We left to go camping today! Billings, Cheyenne, Dodge City, So Padre Island. Snow blew off roof in Cheyenne.
Attached Thumbnails
4DC61513-2049-4AB2-8FA9-5755D831AF0B.jpg  
Old 02-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #11

Michigan
Us too!!!! Gotta get out of the frozen north for awhile. We are leaving tomorrow headed for North Padre Island, near Corpus Christi.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Can’t stand it any longer. We left to go camping today! Billings, Cheyenne, Dodge City, So Padre Island. Snow blew off roof in Cheyenne.
The weather is back to normal in south Texas. 70’s and sunny. Last week you would have thought you were still in Montana, single digit temps and lots of snow! Enjoy South Padre!
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:24 PM   #13

Montana
Registry
Thanks! So encouraging. Hope to see lots of FGs in the sun.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #14

Montana
That's great.

I'm still undecided on a southern Utah trip this spring. Even if I go, I'll likely leave the trailer behind.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It’s 41 deg F today with bright sunshine . The snow is melting off the roof and water is running in the ditches . I see no reason for us to dig our trailer out of storage and drive 2000 miles in search of warmer weather .
By the end of March we will have daytime temps in the 50s , plenty warm for us
We already have a trip planned for early May , tee shirt and shorts weather .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #16

Montana
Registry
It has been just gorgeous for driving. Almost to San Antonio——-1200 miles done & have not seen a single other FG traveler. Where is everyone?!? Get out there, folks! George & Mary, how far did you get?
Old 02-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #17

Michigan
We arrived Thursday the 25th, 1650 miles. We too did not see a fiberglass RV of any kind on our travels and are the only one set up here. We have not seen snow for days and couldn't be happier!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #18

Montana
Registry
Must.think.summer

Corpus Christi Thurs nite, morning haze- —but it doesn’t shovel! No FBs in So Padre KOA or anywhere else so far. Will see what the week brings. OMG, the rigs down here are ginormous!!! Enjoy your break.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've asked before and got no answer. What's a FB?
Old 02-27-2021, 04:16 AM   #20

Montana
Registry
Must.think.summer

Oops. FB is my typo for FG. Sorry.