NC/VA mountain campground wanted.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2003, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
NC/VA mountain campground wanted....

Hi, my wife and I would like to spend a few days camping in the NC or Va mountains in our Casita 17 SD. We want a site that has a view (mountains/lake/river) and is rather clean and quiet. We don't go in for activities typically provided for children at commerical campgrounds. Usually the more noise and confusion the less we like it. Anybody know of a good campground? We have tried Julian Price Memorial Park on the Parkway several times and loved it but now we want to try a similar place somewhere else. A private campground with a public campground orientation could be nice. Any suggestions?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:59 AM   #2

Lake Moomaw

on the northside of 64 near west va va boarder.
I have this on a list of places to vist tere are 3 camp grounds on the lake sorry i dont know the names . A freind went camping there last month and said it was great . there is a state run target rilfe range near the south easten part of the lake.
From the hot and steamy nothern adirondaks Al and Mac let me at those chimpmonks the Kat:cheers

Old 08-04-2003, 08:34 AM   #3

Thanks Al V

I'll check out that area for sure. Another camper has told me Lake Robertson near Lexington, Va. is a nice spot, as well as Douthat State Park north of Roanoke. :wave

Old 08-04-2003, 09:11 AM   #4

Go Camping!!

Mt. Rogers in Southwestern Virginia is always lovely, with alternatives for camping (organized areas or not) Lots of wildlife (assorted birds, deer, etc., AND ferral ponies).:wave

http://americasroof.com/va.shtml

Old 08-04-2003, 09:25 AM   #5

Camping yet?

Another fantastic place is Pisgah in the western highlands of North Carolina. The organized campground has no hook-ups, but you don't have to stay there, you can boondock (since you are anyway if you stay here) when you go into the forest and camp anywhere you want. This is another place that gives you that remote feel, but you are really not that far from civilization, it just seems that way.
:E :E

http://www.nps.gov/blri/pisgah.htm#pisgahtodo

Old 08-04-2003, 02:27 PM   #6

Beautiful place

:wave Tony,
We just came back from Lake Occoneechee State Park on Rt. 58 in Clarksville, VA. We fell in love with this place. I have a small 12' Homemade trailer, the sites are the best a State Park could have. If you love the wilderness and a VERY large lake for fishing, swimming, boating, (we hade the use of a pontoon boat, rental) and spent two wonderful days on the water fishing, and actually catching some good size bass & catfish. Look up the sites www.kerrlake.com and www.dcr.state.va.us and check out all the areas around them, many more campgrounds. Enjoy the sites.

Bob

Old 08-04-2003, 06:04 PM   #7

Good suggestions all!

I'm writing down these locations as fast as I can write. Thanks so much--I knew there were good places out there! :wave

Old 08-14-2003, 02:27 PM   #8

oh to unload or go!

Great sounding places and so close by , NO DC loops to go thur lol.
I might just restock lill trill and head back out and visit the rest of Virginia.:cheers