Northern California Get Togethers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Spacemaster Michiganti Lite 1987
Hello,

I was wondering why there are not any Nor. California rallies or get togethers. I just got a little Fiberglass trailer called a Space Master, looks like a spaceship with a popup tent on it. Pretty cool. Anyway looking for other like minded fiberglass campers out there to maybe get together on a camp anywhere in Nor Cal. Anytime is good for me.

Thanks
Rick
Lincoln, CA
Rick Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

There are several Oregon gatherings during the year, the biggest being at Bandon, if you want to drive that far (500 miles)

The Oregon/Washington gatherings are noteworthy for their lack of organization. Some one just posts, "Let's get together at a certain park on a certain weekend," and before long there are several, dozens, or scores of persons signing up. You could start a tradition in "Northern California."

BTW: I can never understand why Californians call the Sacramento - San Francisco area "Northern California," when they obviously are in "Central California," and the Redding - Eureka area being "Northern California."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ellen and Berry B. been thinking about getting something started in the Northern California area, they live in Eureka .... there... now there's three people. And I know Bob and Judy W. would go too. Now you're up to five!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
you could also start your own!

Thats exactly what I did after i got my first 13 footer. I threw a Rally in So. Cal and thats actually how I met many folks that became close personal freinds.. not just "The trailer people" I hang out with.

Try it!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Hello,

I was wondering why there are not any Nor. California rallies or get togethers. I just got a little Fiberglass trailer called a Space Master, looks like a spaceship with a popup tent on it. Pretty cool. Anyway looking for other like minded fiberglass campers out there to maybe get together on a camp anywhere in Nor Cal. Anytime is good for me.
I'm south of the place on 99 said to be the middle of the state but I would like to see pictures of your Space Master as I've never heard of one.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I'm south of the place on 99 said to be the middle of the state but I would like to see pictures of your Space Master as I've never heard of one.

Bobbie
Bobbie, Rick's post where he tells about his purchase here-ricks post a few post down from OP what we know as a Mity Lite
Plus if you look in the Sold archives you will see the sale ad with pics.

Isn't mid-state like around the Paso Robles area? I agree, that Sac/bay area seems a little south to be called Northern, but I know that it's referred to as Northern Calif. I remember thinking as a kid that the true north end of CA was forgotten, cause there is so much beyond what is deemed Northern that is within State lines.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Roger,
Well, to answer the No./So. California question, it's because we don't tend to segement the state into multi sections just No. and So.

The only people that call the central portion central is the TV folks. I'm from Monterey county and was always in Northern CA until the TV folks started calling it Central CA.

But the basic premise is:

LA is southern CA and anything north of there is Northern CA. And I'll stick to it until my dying day.

Rick,

On topic, why don't you start a rally? All you need to do is pick a place, not on holidays, hopefully not on weekends as it's hard to get into most places on weekends. If you do pick a weekend make sure we can make reservations, not a first come first served place. There is no need to make it a big deal just a simple get together.

I've held a rally at Dillon Beach north of Point Reyes for a number of years. I haven't advertised it on this site because I really didn't want it to get too big. I post it on the Yahoo Scampers site. Any way, I have PM'd numerous people from this site and to date none have come. So I continue to post on the Yahoo site and even on that site people in CA are looking for rallies but don't ever come to Dillon. We can't figure it out and I've stopped trying to.

So just pick a place. I'll come if I can and I'll let my regulars at Dillon know.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Roger,

But the basic premise is:

LA is southern CA and anything north of there is Northern CA. And I'll stick to it until my dying day.
LOL, Joy cause you live north of, growing up in Ojai I could swear we were in Southern. I guess I gotta remember I grew up as a blonde.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well, you not that far north so you could be a southern if you want.

Also it's quiet likely that my memory goes back further than yours to the time when we wanted to split the state just south of SLO. So that does put you in the South.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have been putting on Rallies in Central California for several years. Gina has been putting on Rallies in Southern California. No one has stepped up to organize and put together any in Northern California. Oh, I take that back Glen Gold put together a rally in Northern California in the sierras just north of I-80 if I remember correctly.

Joy is correct to a point. When I grew up in LA county, LA and everything south was Southern California. San Francisco and everything north was Northern California. There wasn't much more then farming in between. World War II era.

It seems the population & financial centers dictate what is what. I would say, as the state has grown up, it has evolved.

Now I live 200 miles south of San Francisco and 200 miles north of LA. The people here do NOT want to be part of either of those extremes. So locals call them selves Central Californians. My son lives in Discovery Bay, CA (half way between SF & Sacramento. He calls himself a person that lives in NorCal. Down in LA they are are SoCal. Now we are late to the Party, but locally for the last 5 years or so we have been called CenCal.

CenCal is basically from Salinas, CA east across the state and down to Santa Barbara, CA (plus or minus). Here near the ocean we are a subdivision of CenCal called the Central Coast. (I could go on but it becomes more political.)

Back to your regular programming...

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, you not that far north so you could be a southern if you want.

Also it's quiet likely that my memory goes back further than yours to the time when we wanted to split the state just south of SLO. So that does put you in the South.
Ummmmm, not anymore! Long ways away, though I have lived in the Southern, Middle and northern parts of Calif. Kinda east to in the Northern part of the state. Now I am east of by a few states. I don't remember them wanting to split the state. But figure that makes sense, since most people think the only towns in Calif are either La or San Fran. Hello, there is a big state in-between. One thing I have had to overcome when people find out I am from Calif is that even Calif has rural, mountain, quaint towns in-between.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You may want to do like the NOG... we move around. You could choose a place further north... to get the very northern Cal contingency, then next time choose something a little further south. Some folks will attend no matter where it is, others will join in when it's closer to home. You won't be able to please all the people all the time.

Works for us, may work for you as well.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
BTW: I can never understand why Californians call the Sacramento - San Francisco area "Northern California," when they obviously are in "Central California," and the Redding - Eureka area being "Northern California."
Roger,

The current wisdom I got was that from the Tehachapees south is SoCal, Tehachapees to Monterey Bay is Central CA, and SF Bay north is Nor Cal. Definately geographic divisions, as well as cultural. Although, as a resident of Santa Cruz, born in Palo Alto, I have always considered myself a Northern Californian.

BTW, when you get up near Redding you are no longer in Ca - you have entered the State of Jefferson. This according to friends in Mount Shasta City.

You can always tell the difference between a northerner and southerner in CA by the way they refer to interstates. A northerner will tell you to 'take 101', a southerner will tell you to get on 'the 101'. It takes transplanted southern traffic reporters a couple of weeks to catch on, but they learn..(LOL)

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Ellen and Berry B. been thinking about getting something started in the Northern California area, they live in Eureka .... there... now there's three people. And I know Bob and Judy W. would go too. Now you're up to five!
As soon as I get the Stream back together Connie and I are interested - Seven.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Rick
Lincoln, CA
Hubby and I would be interested joining a 'Northen California' rally. I could think of several campgrounds that would make a good meeting place. We're in the heart of Santa Clara Valley with our 2009 Casita.

Have never understood why we're refered to as 'Northen California'. To me Northern California starts 'north' of San Fransisco.

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #16

Quote:
As soon as I get the Stream back together Connie and I are interested - Seven.

Wow what great replies. I got the whole NorCal SoCal CentralCal CentralCoastCal JeffersonStateCal and a couple other CALS all answered. Now we just need to know is it FRISCO or San Francisco? I know that will stir the pot with some of us out there.

Fun to hear from all of you. I think I will try and put something together in the next couple of months. I am out this weekend on the maiden voyage of my little SPACEMASTER. Funny story already. We my wife and I were asleep around 1:00am the bed fell in under us. I guess the table top that fits in there is a bit small and can move so in we drop to the middle. So I set it back up and wham one more time. About them is when I told my wife. Can you spell EBAY! She had a chuckle and I figured out that I needed to put the table at the bottom end of the bed and the other boards at the top. Wah lah, perfect bed. So EBAY has to wait.

I also forgot to put the jack stands down in the back of the trailer and unhooked it from the truck. So when we got it the back went down and so did we. I had to jump to the front real quick and bring it down, go set up the stands and once again we were good. LIVE AND LEARN yikes.

My wife seems to like the camper and she does not really like camping, so so far so good. The camp site I am at has internet (which is funny I think) but hey I am entertained at least. It is a place in Arnold by Calaveras State park (full this weekend) called Golden Pines. I would recommend it as a good spot to come to. Not great, but pretty good. Nice people, decent ammenities. Our site has power and water. We are hooked up to the power.

This camper is like a combination of a teardrop trailer and a westfalia volkswager camper and an egg camper. What a goofy kinda combo, but it is working for us so far. I will post pics when I get back.

You all were right about weekend camping in CA. Crazy to get a reservation. Especially weekends and holidays. The weekdays are hard for my wife as she is working. I am the lazy one out of us both.

Any suggestions for sites. I will also check out the scamp site on yahoo and maybe join up at Dillon Beach.

Thanks. We get the funny stares at our camper and many comments for sure. Lots of fun.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Now we just need to know is it FRISCO or San Francisco?
Rick,

As a native of the SF Bay Area (even went to Giants' games in Seal Stadium) I can uncatagorically state that only foreigners, out-of -staters and some ignorant Angelinos would ever say "Frisco" when referring to The City.

Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are Angelinos...

, Very Much....

Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #18

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
To us who live in Oregon, Northern California is like Redding north. Gina mentioned several great campgrounds near Dunnigan area that we have wanted to try but haven't. Ellen and Berry probably know of some great campgrounds further north. We just can't think of the San Francisco area as northern Cal. But if you plan a campout remember that snow comes early to areas near the border. We would be interested too if work doesn't get in the way.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #19

Cool

Quote:
Hubby and I would be interested joining a 'Northen California' rally. I could think of several campgrounds that would make a good meeting place. We're in the heart of Santa Clara Valley with our 2009 Casita.

Have never understood why we're refered to as 'Northen California'. To me Northern California starts 'north' of San Fransisco.
Thanks for the response. Where do you think would be a good place for us Nor Cal group to camp? I don't know the camping scene very well, so I am open to suggestions. It would be fun to try something in Sept. Even if just a few of us show up that would be a good start. I suspect we should get a half dozen together based on some of the responses here.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #20

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Hi all, I'm new to the site too. My wife and I just bought a 13' Scamp last week. I grew up in the little town of Valley Ford, just 7 miles from Dillon Beach. We're still in the SF bay area and we'd love to join you for a campout at Dillon Beach or somewhere else. Just spent our first weekend in the Scamp up on the Yuba River and it was awesome!!
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote