Northern Oregon Gathering - Fall Event - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #121

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Gina an alternate route is great but it's hard to have one for Salem, Ore. Going back down I-5 to Redding and over to the coast would add a day. I wouldn't have gotten there until tomorrow. Everyone'll be heading home Sunday hardly worth the effort.

The only other route would be up 97 and over the Cascades which might not work either, without snow.
I did my best effort.

Oh, and I noticed on my way home that both Sonora & Tioga passes are closed now. They must have gotten some snow.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #122

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hey everyone, I had to come home for a class tomorrow and then will head back to the gathering in time for the pot luck and stay until Monday.

I am so sorry that you won't be able to make it Joy. Everyone was so excited to see you but we all understand about the weather.

It was such horrible weather yesterday that it is humorous to think about today. We had to dig ditches to drain the area around the early bird pot luck and even with three easy ups we all got our share of water. Mud was everywhere and at one point the table was covered with white hail. We had lightning and thunder and pure down pours. But we also had some wonderful food and good catching up with old friends.

Tomorrow night we will do the big pot luck and deside about the April gathering.

At the campground there is no internet and no cell servise. We had to drive six miles to make a call. Hope you made it home safe Joy, I will share this with the group tomorrow evening.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #123

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
You did the right thing by turning around, Joy A. The I-5 route over Deadman and Siskiyou Summits can be a white-knuckle experience when there is snow on the road, especially the steep descent into Ashland. The 97 route from Weed to Klamath Falls has even higher summits, unfortunately. Getting through those mountains during a winter storm often requires careful timing and some good luck. Sorry it didn't work out.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #124

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Joy, my alternate route starts at Stockton

I cut over to the 101 and head up to PLnd via the coast... sort of like going around the block to get to the house next door.

well, mud and hail just help re-enforce WHY we all got these rigs.. it's a different sort of fun! Hope y'all stay warm and reasonably dry.. sigh.. Oregon sunshine in the fall.. my favorite.

I wish I was there.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #125

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Gina, Stockton, that's where I come to the 1st major road.

Bob, yes I know. I've been to Oregon many many times in the winter but without a trailer. The names of the summits have never stuck with me but I do know there are several more high rises on I-5 that can also have snow. I never considered any alternate for going to Salem, certainly not 97 or 101. It was timing and luck I'd need to have and surely didn't.

Linda, looks like you posted in the pm Friday so the weather you were talking about was Thursday. It was Thursday night and Friday morning when I was encountering the snow in No. CA.

I hope most of you will be at Bullards next July. I've got my reservations. See you there.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #126

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Home again, home again. What a great time! Joy we really missed you, but are glad you made the decision to not press on. We understood OSP had closed the Siskiyou pass Thursday night because of snow and ALSO Hwy 20 from I-5 to Bend... same reason. We didn't get snow, although it did hail and RAIN Thursday night. Couldn't dampen our spirits however. Good friends, good food and great times. Can't wait to see some pictures to renew the memories.

I'll start another topic about the Spring NOG.... time to start taking reservations!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #127

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Another great time was had by all. I think that everyone owes us early birds a big thank you for weathering out the rain on Thursday and running it out in time for the weekend. Louise, thanks again for the waterfall hike. I'm sure that John and Mailie both felt alot better knowing that we weren't out there alone. Sharon, you may have created a monster in sharing your martini recipe with Mailie, she can't wait to try it out here at home. I gotta admit though, it was good. Yum Yum. See you all at Waterloo.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #128

It was a wet night for the early birds.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2889__Custom_.JPG   DSCN2891__Custom_.JPG  

DSCN2890__Custom_.JPG  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #129

But the sun was shining on all by the next day
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2905__Custom_.JPG   DSCN2906__Custom_.JPG  

DSCN2923__Custom_.JPG  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #130

Things were cooking 'round the campfire that night.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2900__Custom_.JPG   DSCN2899__Custom_.JPG  

DSCN2901__Custom_.JPG  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 AM   #131

For those that didn't make it out to the falls...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2938__Custom_.JPG   DSCN2946__Custom_.JPG  

DSCN2982__Custom_.JPG  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:21 AM   #132

Good friends and good eats while Donna gives out prizes.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2962__Custom_.JPG   DSCN2963__Custom_.JPG  

DSCN2964__Custom_.JPG   DSCN2965__Custom_.JPG  

DSCN2966__Custom_.JPG  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #133

More good food for breakfast and one last chance to visit. Is this all we do is eat???
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2971__Custom_.JPG   DSCN2972__Custom_.JPG  

DSCN2973__Custom_.JPG   DSCN2974__Custom_.JPG  

DSCN2978__Custom_.JPG  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #134

Good Bye Silver Falls
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2987__Custom_.JPG  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #135

Trailer: 2008 Escape
Quote:
Good Bye Silver Falls
Wow, Wayne
Thank you for all the neat pictures. And thank you very much for the hike. It was good to see the falls again. The "Tardis" looks great. We do miss it, but it is great to have visiting priviledges at the NOGs. Maybe we will see you at Bandon yet.

We did manage to get our Bandon site. We'll be in A13. Yeh!

Thank you to all the NOGers. We really had a great time.
Cheers,
Louise and John
Louise B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #136

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot

Thanks for the photos, Wayne. What a fun time we had. Thanks to all of you early birders who helped deplete the rain and cold. Thanks Sharon and Adonna for the camp fires and gathering sites. Once again, Donna, it was the best. The food and company was superb! I hope everyone had a good journey home.
Sharen - another synonym for you - neener, neener, nee-ner

Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #137

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=141...amp;ref=profile

Hello Silverfalls Crampers!
The above link is to my Facebook profile where I've posted photos from Silverfalls - Char, Dennis, Adonna, Gil, Kathy, Kathy, Linda, Dave... you're in them!

Simon and I had too much fun entirely. After a wet arrival on Thursday, we enjoyed delightful sunshine through Monday. It wasn't until we returned to Seattle that the skies turned gray and opened up with heavy rain as we boarded our ferry back to Whidbey Island.

If you are going to make this that much fun, you're going to have to endure us with some frequency. We're signed up for Waterloo for April (A-15). My mission is to find some RR caps at Thrift Shops, you know, for the Train Games!

Here's a pix of what Keeper awoke to on Saturday morning: frozen water in his dog dish!

Warm hugs to all and special thanks to Donna D for Not Organizing this Gathering. And to Adonna and Kathy for their sweet generosity, especially for the blackberry schnopps and vanilla ice cream. Who knew such GOODIES were hiding in those lil glass eggs! Now how about those waffles?!

Sharen Heath
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM1206.JPG  
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #138

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Oh, one other thing about this wonderful cramping weekend in Silverton, OR, to those who pointed us in the direction of The Oregon Garden AND The Gordon House (Frank Lloyd Wright), a big thank you. We so-ooo enjoyed both.

The Oregon Garden... That was a green-neck heron not a kingfisher on the lily pad. Thank photog Bob for that important distinction. Kingfishers, says Bob, always dive, never sit in wait of their breakfast on a lily pad. Bob promised he'd post a link to his garden photos. Make sure he does because he's great!

And if you want to learn more about the relationship of the town of Silverton to The Oregon Garden AND Moonstone Hotels AND its founder, Dirk Winter, a little googling turned up this. VERY INTERESTING!!! It's also got some nice Django guitar as backround music to the web site. http://www.simplysharing.com/assurin...dirkwinter.htm

Simon and I love it when our NOGs are near fun towns and interesting sites. Again, to all, many thanks.

- Sharen Heath
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #139

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Hey Folks,
Silver Falls Group Photo
Group Pict

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #140