OR 2006: Dutch Oven Workshop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2006, 11:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Dutch Oven Workshop

Lori & I have volunteered to put on another Dutch Oven Workshop this year.

Last summer we went to the National Chuck Wagon Cook Off in Ruidoso, New Mexico sponsored by the Hubbard Museum & the Smithsonian Institute.

We had so much fun and the food was great. We have many new ideas. Would you like to help us put it on?
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Lori & Michael! The Great & Powerful Nancy of Oregon advises you are willing to do a Dutch Oven Workshop in July and suggests we sign up here . Sooooo, could you please add Leslie de Beaux to your potential list of students. Thank you - LdB
Old 02-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi, Lori & Michael! The Great & Powerful Nancy of Oregon advises you are willing to do a Dutch Oven Workshop in July and suggests we sign up here . Sooooo, could you please add Leslie de Beaux to your potential list of students. Thank you - LdB
OH, good, glad to have Leslie.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
The Great & Powerful Nancy of Oregon advises
Oooooooooooo!

It's going to be a great workshop! So buy a Dutch Oven if you don't have one, get on the workshop list and get another fun hobbie (obsession!) going.

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
It's going to be a great workshop! So buy a Dutch Oven if you don't have one, get on the workshop list and get another fun hobbie (obsession!) going.
Nancy
Maybe we can get Michael and Lori to quickly put up the kind/brand of DO to purchase. There's a lot of junk out there and no one wants to waste $$
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #6

Sure, we’ll do our best to give some insights.

(please give me a little time)
Old 02-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
I'd love to signup as well. Count me in. After tasting the food prepared at the Fall
NOR OR meet, I'm hooked!

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #8

Quote:
I'd love to signup as well. Count me in. After tasting the food prepared at the Fall
NOR OR meet, I'm hooked!

Sharon
OK, got ya down.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Me 2 - Me 2
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Maybe we can get Michael and Lori to quickly put up the kind/brand of DO to purchase. There's a lot of junk out there and no one wants to waste $$
Dutch Ovens are made from several materials: Cast Iron, Aluminum, & Enamel over Iron. Also, Dutch Ovens are “Kitchen Style” & “Camp Style”. Lastly there are different levels of quality. We would recommend, if you decide to buy a Dutch Oven, get an American Made one. They are far better quality. (cheap cast iron cracks and sometimes has Hot Spots)

There are many sizes of Dutch Ovens, so what size should you get? What Style should you get?

It really depends on what you want to cook, how many you want to feed, and what options you want to make available.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12DO3_4qt.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1494

We recommend the 12DO3 Kitchen plus the 10" camp lid for the best all around Dutch Oven for two people. You can use the flat bottom DO in your oven at home & you can switch lids and place legs under for camp cooking. (all I could find is a 12" lid photo, but you would get a10" lid.)

Name:	12in_deep_camp.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	1496

For four people it seems the 12" camp DO works best. I recommend getting the 12" deep because you can then bake breads as well as all other dishes.

My favorite brand of Dutch Oven is Lodge Dutch Ovens. They really make quality Ovens.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions.
Attached Thumbnails
12in_lid.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
yoo hooo Mike, why don't you plan a trip to Rock Crusher sometime, maybe like next year, we don't want to rush you
Old 02-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
wave yoo hooo Mike, why don't you plan a trip to Rock Crusher sometime, maybe like next year, we don't want to rush you
It’s on my list. All I got to do is get my wife to retire. She loves to work (and it gives me medical insurance )

Some day we will be there.

...back to your scheduled programming.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:59 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita
Hi Mike,

Please include Jim and I in your Dutch Oven cuisine class.
BTW, we purchased a fairly cheap-o aluminum model that seems to do OK... our other was soooo heavy. The problem is that since it doesn't have legs we had a friend make a little traingular stand for it so it can have coals all around. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this little stand... otherwise it would have exceeded the cost for the Lodge cast iron oven.
Thank you.
Linda C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Please include Jim and I in your Dutch Oven cuisine class.
BTW, we purchased a fairly cheap-o aluminum model that seems to do OK... our other was soooo heavy. The problem is that since it doesn't have legs we had a friend make a little traingular stand for it so it can have coals all around. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this little stand... otherwise it would have exceeded the cost for the Lodge cast iron oven.
Thank you.
We used Aluminum for years when we use to do a lot of river canoeing. They do work well. They are not quite as forgiving as cast iron though.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #15

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Please plan to post pictures and recipes for those of us who can't go to Oregon. I love the food cooked in a dutch oven but never had much luck with cast iron. Everything seemed to rust on me. This may just be a reflection of my homemaker skills. Also, they are too heavy for me to carry so I might consider aluminum. Perhaps you could do an experiment at the gathering and prepare the same recipe in different ovens and see how they compare.

Good luck with the gathering.

Kathy
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #16

Kathy,

Too bad you won’t be there for the Workshops. We cover all the issues you are discussing. We even show how simple it is to clean up gooey, sugary, drippings left over from pastries cooked in the Dutch Oven.

We’ve been cooking in both Aluminum, & Cast Iron for over 30 years. Each has its place. When weight is an issue, like Canoeing, Aluminum is great. It is harder to use.

We also know that there are many other styles and techniques, other then ours, of cooking in a Dutch Oven. We have competed and taken first place in Dutch Oven Cook Offs judged by 5 star restaurants. We have been asked and demonstrated Dutch Oven cooking for the Paso Robles Pioneer Museum Annual Pioneer Days. And we were asked by the Church of the Latterday Saints to teach their folks these skills even though we are not members of that church. Over the years, we have taught hundreds of Boy Scout leaders and Boy Scouts, just to name a few.

At gatherings, like the Oregon Gathering, we always meet new people and learn from them new techniques. As you can tell, it’s just a passion of ours.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Michael and Lori,
Please add our names to your rapidly growing list of participants! We can't wait!
Jeanne and Steve

Name:	dutchovens2004b.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1519

breakfast cooking at the 2004 Oregon Gathering
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #18

Jeanne and Steve, looking forward to meeting you.

We’ll be in touch with all who sign up and work out a plan. Be thinking about what you would like to show and what you would like to learn.

This is going to be fun.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Michael and Lori,
Please add our names to your rapidly growing list of participants! We can't wait!
Ditto!

Maybe Nancy better not schedule any conflicting workshops for this time slot?

I'm interested in Dutch Oven cooking for one or two. Most recipes I've seen seem to be oriented towards the "family size".
Old 03-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Boler (The Arctic Eggloo)
Hi Mike, Lori!

Just want to make sure I'm on the list!!

Jamie
Jamie H is offline   Reply With Quote