MI Sept 7-9 2012: michigan algonac glassic egg scramble! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: what ya wanna eat????
roast goat 6 22.22%
roasted turkey,chicken 21 77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Sept 7-9 2012: michigan algonac glassic egg scramble!

ok we have two campers at least determined to get something together so this is the unofficial official announcement of the 2012 michigan algonac fiberglassic egg scrample and pot luck dinner.

where? Algonac state park. when? sept, 7th,8th and 9th. arrive friday evening to set up.
what? friendship, food, music,nature, the st. claire river with HUGE freighter ships passinf frequently right in front of us. nice little stores and shopping close by. even one of the last remaining quility examples of a lake plain prairie. now how can you refuse that?
the weather? should be mild and comfortable this time of year. specialy here in michigan where our weather is always so stable.(yes, that was sarcasm)
bring your bikes, hiking shoes, and a dish to share for a potluck dinner saturday evening.
there should be no problems making reservations. i will post a site map and sugjestions for sites in my next post. meanwhile. lets start a list of whom,(or is it who?) will be attending.
pam responded that she was up for it, and i john and my wife devon. so,,,,away we go!
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #2

Michigan
additional information

Algonac State Park Detail

i recommend the campsites right along the road, or the second row, as long as you don't mind car noise
Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Hi John,

I can't pass this up as I'll have to drive a whopping four miles to get there! I hope I have the Snoozy ready to go by then.

There are ferries to Canada in Marine City, 4 miles north and Algonac, 2 miles south. If campers BRING THEIR PASSPORTS they can make a quick trip to Canada.

We sometimes ride our bikes and cross from Marine City to Sombra, Ontario. It is a small village with a couple of restaurants and a tea room. Parking in MC and walking on the ferry is good too. The village of Sombra is right at the end of the dock.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #4

Michigan
very cool, well all you need to have finished is just enough to make it campable,,, glad you will be able to come.
think we might get a few teardrop campers to show up too.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #5

Name: Chuck
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17SD
Ohio
Are Buckeyes invited? We will be in Wayne county over Labor Day weekend for our grandsons birthday and would love to stay over.

Chuck and Kyle
ChuckR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

Michigan
as long as they have a green card we will let buckeyes in.

how cool looks like four or five trailers commiting already, next week we will decide on sires to reserve, i like the ones along the road but we have to check to make sure of whats available.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
Are Buckeyes invited? We will be in Wayne county over Labor Day weekend for our grandsons birthday and would love to stay over.

Chuck and Kyle
Oh my goodness a buckeye that can use a computer!!! You simply MUST come, I need photo proof of your existence for my fellow MSU Spartans. plus a few Ann Arbor friends I talk to if no one is watching.

Just checked with DW and she said that week end is good so count us in. That would be two of us and our furry schnauzer girl. The kid that minds when we say no so we still let her live at home.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
Algonac State Park Detail

i recommend the campsites right along the road, or the second row, as long as you don't mind car noise
Never been to the park so have to trust the voice of those who have gone before on the good sites. How bad is the car noise?

For those of us that are not fully self contained the sites more to the north (high 40's to low 60's) would be shorter walk to the bath rooms, always a plus.

Are we going to shoot for getting in the same general area of the park? All make our reservations between certain site numbers type thing or in a certain general area. I like that idea personally.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

Michigan
yes those are good sites and what i am shooting for. should be no problem that time of year getting what we want.
the car noise isn't bad. its just there. if you look at the area you will see that even though its the main drag, traffic is a lot less then you would think. and its a cruising threw area,,, not a lot of acceleration in that area . last year we were there and it never bothered me, and i'm a light sleeper.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Are we going to shoot for getting in the same general area of the park? All make our reservations between certain site numbers type thing or in a certain general area. I like that idea personally.
This is what I found when I used the reservation part of the park link.
Right on the river is pretty much gone. May be off season but appears to be a well liked location.
  • Riverside (across the street). 34,36,42,44,46,48,50,52,55,58,59
  • Along the N. edge I see several in 211 - 220 with 134 - 132 available across street.
  • 72 - 93 all available
  • 118 - 136 and on to 150 all available.
So John what do you think, where should people shoot for from what is currently available?

I used a link off of the park reservation link that allows checking availability of sites in blocks, those river front sites are pretty much gone. Go like your going to make a reservation, fill out the dates, number of people & equipment (no campers under 20' as an option except pop-up. Ha!) check the electric option.

There will be a "Check Site Calendar" link near the top of the list of 20 sites to a page. You get a grid with blocks of sites by dates from that link.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #11

Michigan
wow looks like we need to do reservations next week.
anything from 64 threw 94 or around those areas would be good, we stayed in 68 last year and was a good spot. mamma likes to be near the restrooms. but its all good. will look at it on monday and see what we can do. meanwhile i want to see how many will commit to give us an idea of how many sites we will need in a group if we can.
and if we end up not on the water,,, its not like its a long walk or anything.you can actually see everything from several rows in.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Algonac, Mich is not far from me......in fact I have camped there (many years ago). I will mark this on my calendar and will try to make it happen.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Shouldn't Buckeyes have to bring an extra beer to 'buy in'?

This is sure to become a glassic, all right (catchy name)! Sorry I live so far away and have to work, or I'd come too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Count me in! Denny, I'm looking forward to seeing your Snoozy!! I'm not fully self contained, but have porta-potty. All I need is electric for sure (no propane heat in mine, just electric heater).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #15

Name: Chuck
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17SD
Ohio
Cameras won't be needed. These Buckeyes missed the computer generation. And beer in a Michigan state park. Ya'all must be real rednecks. Down here beer isn't even allowed in a Ohio state park. And of course we have Golden Buckeye cards (the back of the card is green).

You guys are like our daughters neighbors. Always giving us a hard time just because they see our license plates. But they are getting used to us. We have even been thinking of moving. Have you ever heard of anyone retiring to Michigan? It Is taking a lot of thought.

Let us know if we should make reservations.
ChuckR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #16

Michigan
ok, i'm showing 6 committed and 5 nore maybe's so we better start getting reservations.
i think if it hasn't changed sites 64 threw 94 are all pretty much opened. i will try for site 74, or 76 as they are corner sites and might have a little more room for a saturday evening campfire and potluck dinner.

if anyone needs any help getting a reservation let me know. its pretty easy to do online at the michigan department of natural resources website. or by phone, i did a phone in friday for a trip next weekend and they were super helpfull professional, and for a guy that hates talking on the phone,, quite pleasant to deal with.

oh one thing,,, you buckeyes will need a michigan state park recreation pass i think, unloess the camping fees include that. if not its worth having in case you want to do more in michigan,,and of course,,,you will.

and let us not leave out any form indiana,,,,(the land of the stickbuilt) or "illanoy" ( i think thats how you spell it,,,right?), they are welcome to join us too.
just remember its all about fun.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
Sounds like fun and only a little over an hour from home. We will have our new Casita back from Rice Texas by then and we will plan on attending.

Bunny and Steve
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
This is sure to become a glassic, all right (catchy name)!
I like that Mike!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M K View Post
Sounds like fun and only a little over an hour from home. We will have our new Casita back from Rice Texas by then and we will plan on attending.

Bunny and Steve
Wow! Checking the profile blocks it looks like a great selection of "eggs". Casita's and UHauls and Scamps Oh My! and Escape and Snoozy and Trillium and... Too cool.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Do we all just call the campground and reserve individually on Monday?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote