South Padre Island Campground - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2003, 08:54 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
South Padre Island Campground

We just returned from a quick trip to south TX and during a drive to Port Isabel and South Padre Island we noticed a really nice but small campground that had opened near the entrance to Andy Bowie Park on the gulf side of the island. Haven't found any info online yet and didn't have time on this trip to stop and pickup rate info. Great looking clean CG with paved sites and possibly full hookups. And the view is magnificent to say the least. Sure would be a great place to stay on our next trip there. I'll try to get info to share with everyone or if you have been there let us know. Thanks!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:23 PM   #2

I think the location of this CG is actually at Adolph Thomae county park. I found info saying it had 35 sites with full hookups. Looks like the right place but can't be sure since the names are similar. I haven't gotten any rates yet either.

Old 07-14-2003, 01:53 PM   #3

Debbie ... there is a county park on the southeast tip of South Padre. And a commercial campground on the southwest tip.

We usually stay at the Outdoor Resorts campground in Port Isabel ... or dry camp up on the Island itself.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:29 PM   #4

South Padre

We stayed at Outdoor Resorts last June in a condo - didn't have a travel trailer at the time. We enjoyed ourselves because of its good location and all the stuff to do plus everyone there was very friendly. But when we get our Scamp we'll be looking at camping again. We prefer quieter camping areas such as the resort as opposed to the places geared toward all the kids. Love kids - just don't want to put up with them on my vacations anymore.:)

Old 07-14-2003, 06:38 PM   #5

I think that county park is called Isla Blanca Park. It can't be the one Debbie's describing, though - it has way more spaces than just 35... and I wouldn't say it had a nice view... It's not a bad park, for being near the Gulf beach - I like it because it gives the trailers some shelter from the incessant wind (we've only been there in winter, and it was COLD). But it is sardine city... no shade to speak of, etc.

What Debbie has described must be something else... :sunny

Old 07-14-2003, 06:43 PM   #6

Mary, you are right that it is not Isla Blanca. The one I was trying to get info on is farther north around the convention center and the horseback riding place and past most of the hotels and such. It is right on the gulf side beach - well protected by small sand dunes but still right there on the water. There is other camping on the beach but it is dry camping and on the bay side.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:58 PM   #7

My parents have camped every fall for about 15 years at Outdoor Resorts. They stay two months and have built up quite a "community of friends" there. They love the spot.

Nancy

Old 07-20-2003, 10:47 AM   #8

Small world Nancy and Debbie!

The Port Isabel Outdoor Resorts has really nice RV spots in our opinion ... and to further what Mary said, is out of the incessant wind.