AB Southern Alberta Gathering anyone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Name: Alberta
Trailer: 1976 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
Southern Alberta Gathering anyone?

We are way down South! Hoping to find or organize a trip this summer. Anyone interested?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
We will be finished with the Good Sam rally in Madway, BC on the 24th of June and looking for someplace to go after.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Marwayne Alberta bolerama July 19-22 2012
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I would be interested
Southern Alberta needs an event.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Where in S Alta?

I could do it from the BC coast and visit the "outlaws" in "Leftbridge" on the same trip?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
No time to organize something like this, but sure would be into attending if it were to happen.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Signature song for the event?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
How about "writing on stone" provincial park . If you haven't been there, its great! I haven't been in years but would love to go back.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
How about "writing on stone" provincial park . If you haven't been there, its great! I haven't been in years but would love to go back.

I could do that!

Also Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump

Or Claresholme area - love to see that Lancaster again!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #10

Registry
Writing on Stone is a great place to visit. In fact, I was there on the May Long when we canoed the Milk River from the Milk River town site to the park. Not sure that is has the room to support a rally, as it is booked up much of the summer. If it was doable, it would be a good place to go.

Something more central might be nice, but to be honest, I know little of the camping on the prairies. Most of mine is done to the west, either at our rec property NW of Sundre, or throughout the mountains.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Nanton has a nice campground (location of the landcaster bomber) with a group area. Dinosaur Provincial Park (N.E. of Brooks) also has a seperate group area. There is also a selection of group camping areas in Sibbald Creek and Kananaskis area. Not sure of the availability of any of these areas.

I don't have much time to help organize this year but would definitely be able to help organize something for next year.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I don't have much time to help organize this year but would definitely be able to help organize something for next year.
It would be tough to get something going for this year anyway. Most folks have the summer season pretty much planned out already. I know I do.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It would be tough to get something going for this year anyway. Most folks have the summer season pretty much planned out already. I know I do.
I agree Jim, we just got home from a 7100km Yukon/Alaska adventure and have the next 4-5 weekends planned with some shorter trips, but always want to open the possibilty to something in the fall.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #14

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1985 13ft U-haul
Alberta
Hi All
I would be interested in something in September. There are several places in southern AB that could possibly accommodate a gathering. My first choice would be Sandy McNabb,it is about 30 km southwest of Turner Valley or about an hour SW of Calgary. It recently went through a major overhaul about 2 years ago which added power to all sites and a new bathhouse. Both group A & B have power which is rare for group sites, one is more open while to other one has a few more trees. The link is below.
http://albertaparks.ca/sheep-river/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

There are several other places that could possibly work as well, I have included their weblinks:
http://albertaparks.ca/wyndham-carseland/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/cypress-hills/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/oldman-dam/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/bow-valley-pp/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/beauvais-lake/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/little-bow/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/indian-graves/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/chain-lakes-pp/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/etherington-creek/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/kinbrook-island/information-facilities/group-use.aspx

http://albertaparks.ca/dinosaur/information-facilities/group-use.aspx
skeithczayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #15

Registry
Great list, Shelley. Sandy McNabb has certainly changed from what it was like when I used to camp there, and in the backcountry to the west, about 35 years ago. The list only 10 sites per group, do you know if they would allow more without hookups?

While I imagine most of us could easily do a weekend without hookups, there are sometimes a few folk who need it for medical reasons.

I will be at the Canoe Meadows group site the weekend after next (July 20-22) with the Bow Waters Canoe Club.

I have only been to a few rallies, and all but one were the Escape Trailer ones, and they were in regular sites, not group sites. A loop, or a bunch of conjoining sites were reserved for them.

Still not certain what my September brings this year, as there are a few tentative plans, from a canoe trip to a Scotland trip. All ideas at this time. If there was a rally set for Southern Alberta (other than Labour Day), and we were free, we would certainly come.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #16

Registry
Anyone still interested in a rally in Southern Alberta? If so, I would be keen to help out what I can. Work and life has me very busy right now, but I still need to find time to play.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I am definitely interested in a Southern Alberta event Jim. We should work with the organizers of the Alberta Omelet events to make sure we don't conflict with their schedule, but now is the time to start the planning.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #18

Registry
That's great, Ian. I guess the two main things to determine, are the site and the time.

As far as time goes, just about anything would work for me, though long weekends would be toughest, but not at all out of the question.

As per Shelley's post, there are lots of Provincial Group Campsites available, though none have services, other than the odd one with power in the cook shelter. This would not at all bother me though, but others may be more reliant on power.

There are places like Little Bow, that have a group site with no power, but do have sites available with power for those that need it.

Maybe a good choice would be a private campground somewhere that could reserve us a block of sites.

The best times to book are likely outside of the summer months, as campgrounds would be busy and booked up then.

I really don't know that much about camping in Alberta outside of the Forestry campgrounds though.

Any others with interest, as well as thoughts and ideas?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I am also fairly open on time and agree that pre or post summer is easier to find camping spots. One big challenge will be to determine how many may attend, big difference if only a dozen trailers show up vs last summer's Marwayne event where 64 trailers arrived.

Reserving a block of sites guarantees location but can also "stick us" with a large bill if no one shows (I speak from experience on this point)

Power is a nice to have but I would say most would want decent washrooms and preferably showers.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #20

Registry
Good thoughts, Ian.

I wonder then about something like Little Bow, that has a group site as part of the campground, and it seems you only need 5 people to book it, and then pay for extra units. There are showers and washrooms available, and power sites if needed too. LINK

Probably other sites like this would work too.