Spring Break getaway - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2003, 02:08 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Spring Break getaway

Camp Casita is back from its third trip! :cblob We went to Williamsburg, VA, March 11-14. And we only saw 4 RV's the whole day.:chin We saw snow almost the whole way down there, no flowers blooming, trees JUST starting to have swollen buds, but pansies were planted in many public spots.
I used this site's references :) to find the Anvil RV campground. We got a 20% discount for it being off-season and got to occupy 2 spaces (easy parking). It was VERY handy to Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown, just off routes 60 and 64. The one drawback: a major railroad track was just 50 yards away! The bigger rigs' owners said it shook them all up at 2AM, but we did not feel anything (Is that due to the sleek aerodynamics of the Casita??), just very noisy! :drums This destination was my choice, and we did tourist things. We expected to find Bush Gardens open since on the web it said March-Oct, but it only opens the Sat. close to St. Pat's Day since Ireland is one of its countries. Anyway, with my bad knees (surgery for replacements was to be next month, but it got cancelled since the doctor is having his torn rotator cuff repaired), we left a day early because I could not take one more step after 3 days.

Casita report: very easy to pack and head out, especially since we only packed for breakfast, lunch and snacks and cocktails. Easy handling! No problems! :steer
EXCEPT:
when we got home -at midnight- Bob forgot to unconnect some wire to his vehicle's alternator from the Casita and forgot to turn the fridge to OFF from DC, until morning.
ALSO:
we rode down with the bathroom window up a little bit AND the Fantastic Fan open a wee bit (enough so that the knob rotated off!)
the grill/candle lighter gizmo would not light, so we could not start the hot water until morning as Bob did not want his hand match-close to the starter. We later realized the gizmo DID work, it was just too COLD at first! :o

So, some beginner mistakes, but nothing stressful. And the cutest thing was something Bob said the day we unpacked: "Now I feel like Charles Watts - I had a good time and I don't know when I can make the next trip! I have to figure that out!" :wink

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:58 PM   #2

>>knees

Ouch! Hope that all gets resolved for you!

>>third trip

Sounds like a good time! How much brass did you buy?

>>next trip!

Well, I've booked Easter/Summer/Labor Day trips already. Reservations made! Tell Bob to do the same! (It helps with the shaking!)

>>hot water

We carry a little electric teapot, that holds and boils about a quart of water when you plug it into electricity. That way, even if the water heater is off, (or our long-handled lighter quits lighting)(and I carry spares!) ... anyway, with the hot water heater off, by using the electric teapot, Pam can make enough water for washing faces, hands and occasional dish.

>>cocktails

My kind of people!

>>trains

Seriously, we've camped in sites that back right up to busy railroad tracks. Usually the tracks are elevated a bit. I don't think our little fiberglass wonders shake that much either. Trains sure did catch your attention ... atleast the first few ... then even the dog got used to it.

So Beverly, where's the fourth trip gonna be?

Old 03-18-2003, 10:01 AM   #3

Oh, I wanted to mention the heater. We sure needed it the first night (on very low because we like cold air), and I was all comfy because I was the one along that edge of the bed, but Bob got chilly over by the wall/window.

Those of you with the king size bed won't have this problem. We are wondering if Charles' idea of using a ceramic cube heater would give us better heat distribution?

The other 2 nights the heater never came on, in that same setting, because it got so much warmer! And a heavy rain one night: I just love drifting off to sleep to that sound.:bed