VA Virginia Rally ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita Spirit Delux
Virginia
Registry
Virginia Rally ?

A number of Virginia members have contacted me about having a rally in Virginia. I'm all for having one but have no idea oh how to set it up. If someone with experience would step up and get it started I would be glad to do anything I can to help. Some one suggested the James River State Park as a central location. My wife and I will be attending the rally at Tremont Campground in Tn this April. Hope to pick up information on how to organize a rally . Tom & Sandra
TomB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Why don't you leave home a week early and join us at Jane's mini Uhaul rally in Columbia SC , April 13, 14, 15 ? We've been to several teardrop gatherings / rallies the past 4 years. Some have just the right amount of organization, some too much, some not enough! Mary & Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB44 View Post
A number of Virginia members have contacted me about having a rally in Virginia. I'm all for having one but have no idea oh how to set it up. If someone with experience would step up and get it started I would be glad to do anything I can to help. Some one suggested the James River State Park as a central location. My wife and I will be attending the rally at Tremont Campground in Tn this April. Hope to pick up information on how to organize a rally . Tom & Sandra
Tom, sounds like you have a group to start with so set a date that will suit a couple of them, and get your reservation then tell that group on such and such a date we will be in James River State park in site #44, anyone want to join us?? some times you get 2, and some times you get 15. They should all contact you to know how many will be there and their site number everyone is responsible for their own reservations. We've done this in Florida and try to plan an outing once a month, we had one the 1st week of Dec and had 10 units another one over New Years and had between 15 & 20 we keep them more as gatherings than rallies with very few organized activities but we do eat together quite often with everyone bringing something, works out well. We do have a few folks who want to keep the numbers down but my wife and I enjoy meeting new folks so we kind of cheat a bit. My way of cheating is to post our next gathering under my signature on the forums I belong to, this brings in a few visiters who are in Florida from out of state. In the summer months we do very little camping in Florida as most of our group get out and go north for a breather. We do favor State Parks as we resident old folks get half off which makes it cheap. If you have any questions give me a yell and I'll try to answer them. We lived in Rocky Mount and Roanoke for 25 years, I worked in Salem, Va. loved the place. last Sept we were at Smith Mountain Lake State Park for a week, we will be camp hosts for the month of May at First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach. best regards, Bill
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If someone with experience would step up and get it started I would be glad to do anything I can to help.
To start a gathering, all you really have to do is decide a place and date(s). I'd suggest someplace where people can make reservations. Nothing worse than driving for hours and finding a campground is full. Beyond that, it's however organized or unorganized (which is different than disorganized) as you'd like to have it. If you wish to have potlucks, people just need to be given the time and place to hold the meals.

The important thing to remember is you won't be able to please all the people all the time when it comes to the date and place. You can only do the best you can. Once you get a gathering setup, stay with the date year-over-year. That way people can plan ahead.

This is the way we hold the Oregon NOGs and seems to work well for us.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
James River SP has 31 sites, the last three weekends in April (Fri& Sat) there are currently at least 20 sites available. JRSP is first come on picking specific sites. Sure would like to take a look at Ruth's Lil Snoozy but I think she said she works every other week end. Looks like all that needs to be done is pick a date.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Once you get a gathering setup, stay with the date year-over-year. That way people can plan ahead.
I'm not sure I agree with that initially Donna. Maybe after 2-3 years and some feedback from the people that were there. The same goes for the park.

I see Jim is seeking feedback:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ite-48233.html

Last year that meet conflicted with bolerama. Offset by a weekend and some campers could have hit both with some travel and self time between. I'd suggest any new meet consider what is going on elsewhere within reasonable travel distance. Then pick a date that would allow one to travel to or from the other meet. Especially in high season.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Many have suggested a calendar in the past that can be posted so we can see on the calendar the various rally's and location. that way if one is planning on organizing one, they can see what and where others will be around the time they wanted to pick a date. We have one now
If you go to calendar at the top of the page here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/c...o=displaymonth
you can see the various rally's planned both time and where. This should help you in planning.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #8

Name: James
Trailer: u-haul 13ct
Virginia
Registry
Hi Tom
I have thought of trying to organize the rally myself at JRSP but after april22nd most of my weekends are tied up for a few months. I thought it would be overly ambitous to think I could pull it off by then. I even came up with a scavenger hunt as an activity for participants and maybe see if anyone would be interested in a pot of stone soup. So I was thinking of maybe in the fall perhaps the weekend following the laborday boom, you know how VA summers can be oppressive we don't even have ariconditioning . Any thoughts? I wish you luck if you have the gathering before and my thoughts will be with you guys. If in the fall maybe we could help host the event. Or maybe a second one will be in order by then. I'm thinking of going to the tremont gathering, my uncle ownes the place and i've never been there, can't think of a better excuse.
lanegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that initially Donna. Maybe after 2-3 years and some feedback from the people that were there. The same goes for the park.
Hey, whatever works for you! I can only tell you that folks have complimented the NOGs on the fact, they know when the event(s) will be held... although we change the place every time. If you are looking to have fairly local people come, it's far different than those that are driving greater distances, because they have to plan and budget further in advance. The NOGs have brought people together from all the western states.

BTW: The Oregon NOGs are always held the last full weekend in April and the second weekend in October. Just in case you care to plan ahead and attend one of them
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #10

Virginia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanegr8 View Post
Hi Tom
I have thought of trying to organize the rally myself at JRSP but after april22nd most of my weekends are tied up for a few months. I thought it would be overly ambitous to think I could pull it off by then. I even came up with a scavenger hunt as an activity for participants and maybe see if anyone would be interested in a pot of stone soup. So I was thinking of maybe in the fall perhaps the weekend following the laborday boom, you know how VA summers can be oppressive we don't even have ariconditioning . Any thoughts? I wish you luck if you have the gathering before and my thoughts will be with you guys. If in the fall maybe we could help host the event. Or maybe a second one will be in order by then. I'm thinking of going to the tremont gathering, my uncle ownes the place and i've never been there, can't think of a better excuse.
James....contact me at. I'm12fish@psknet.com about setting up a fall rally.
TomB
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Virginia Rally

I'm interested in a Virginia rally. I'm up for it. I could try to organize it, in my own disorganized way. James River State Park is lovely, great kayaking and drifting in the water there. It's hot in the summer, but the water is fun to play in.

Or, how about Chickahominy Riverfront Park?? It's a pretty park, there is a great bike trail there. It is on the river. There is boating, fishing etc. This is very close to Williamsburg.

If I can get some feedback, I will start organizing. Need opinions on when and where.

June 1st or June 29th works well for me, and well for the park. The park is a busy park, so we have to make sure there are no activities running at the same time.

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #12

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Quote:
James....contact me at. I'm12fish@psknet.com about setting up a fall rally.
TomB
Tom, James, Ruth, I am up for it anytime soon, James River, Cave Mt Lake
I can be PM anytime. Just say where you are going to be and when.
The fall does not work for me as I go to Camp in West VA every year there for a week. We don't have to be a big event necessarily, just get to meet each other and enjoy camping together. Just a thought
Diane
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #13

Virginia
Registry
Its a long way from Salem but we will be at Buggs Island Lake at North Bend Park loop B sat nite till mon afternoon. It would be great to see ya. We go out every other weekend maybe next trip can be up in your neck of the woods.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Cave Mountain Lake area

One of the recent postings mentioned Cave Mtn. Lake ... I [IDuckDuckGo'd it and it looks like a wonderful area! We might be able to join you with our little Trillium.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #15

Name: DP
Trailer: Looking to buy...
North Carolina Tar Heel Fan
Tom,
Our summer work schedule leaves limited opportunity to travel. However, if it were to be scheduled in the Fall my wife and I would enjoy such a trip.

Just my two cents.

Pat
Camping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #16

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
I'm interested in a Virginia rally. I'm up for it. I could try to organize it, in my own disorganized way. James River State Park is lovely, great kayaking and drifting in the water there. It's hot in the summer, but the water is fun to play in.

Or, how about Chickahominy Riverfront Park?? It's a pretty park, there is a great bike trail there. It is on the river. There is boating, fishing etc. This is very close to Williamsburg.

If I can get some feedback, I will start organizing. Need opinions on when and where.

June 1st or June 29th works well for me, and well for the park. The park is a busy park, so we have to make sure there are no activities running at the same time.

Ruth

Ruth. ...How do I send you a pm on this forum?
TomB
Old 04-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You may want to check the rally calendar for those dates to see if there are other events nearby or in your area.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tom: to send a PM, click on their name at the top left and that will bring up a list that includes send private message.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #19

Virginia
Registry
JRSP Sept

Hey Guys
I just checked the reservations for James River State Park for September and both The weekend of 9/13-16 and 9/20-23 and it appears that no reservations have been made as 29 sites are available both weekends. I did notice that there is an ohio rally the weekend of 9/20-23 don't know if we should take that into account when planning our event.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #20

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I'm a whopping 40 Miles from Either James River,Stainton River or Twin lakes State park-80 From Pocahontas,.Love them all,Never been to Holliday, just N.E, of Appomattox.
I'm south of Appomattox out in the woods---I have a great Boondocking field-AS LONG AS IT DOESN"T RAIN.it'd all grass but Can get soft. if someone wants to Boondock.NOT a problem except (2) weekends in May I will be elsewhere,11,26 of may* Gone. I have (1) 20 amp circuit there 50 amps 120 ft down to the house..not a real problem,
sparky1 in s.va.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally