WA Washington State Get-Together - 2011 - Discussion Only - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Lightbulb Washington State Get-Together - 2011 - Discussion Only

Well, it's never too early to start planning ahead. Some things we should open for discussion, (but not limited to,) are:

Do we want to move the event back a few weeks (from early June) in the hopes of improving our odds at having more a more decent weather window?

Do we want to alternate venues? (i.e. Western WA coast, Eastern WA high desert, etc.)

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Let's come up with some new ideas...

Greg
Old 08-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Thumbs up The next Washington meet - NOG

Hi Greg,
We have really enjoyed Taidnapum park and also Grayland State Park. We are open to new ideas or one of these. They weather hasn't been that bad for us not to have a good time.
Deb & Chuck
Old 08-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Hi Greg,
We have really enjoyed Taidnapum park and also Grayland State Park. We are open to new ideas or one of these. They weather hasn't been that bad for us not to have a good time.
Deb & Chuck

Greg,
Sandy and I feel that no Washington site is immune from bad weather, so cold weather or hot can diminish the fun, but not destroy it. Given our choice, we would rather be cold than hot. We can put on more clothes to escape the cold, but we can't excape the heat of eastern WA. We loved Taidnupam for the beautiful shade trees, the clean restrooms and showers, the newness of the park, the friendliness of the staff.

Our first-ever gathering was the 2008 WA at Grayland. It got us hooked. The only reason we were not at the 2009 gathering was that we had pre-booked an Alaska two week cruise/tour (also our first, and probably the last).

I personally liked the early-June time frame, as most of the other gatherings tend to fall on the week of the third Thursday, so I have missed two months of Woodturning club meetings and Saturday sawdust sessions because we were either coming a day early or needed two days to get to the event comfortably.

Also, we have to admit that Grayland is very vulnerable to Tsnamis, because you would need to drive clear back to the east end of Aberdeen before you get out of the Tsnunami zone. At least at Bandon, there is a chance of susrvival either running up the escape route hill which starts near the amphitheater, or drive back north a few miles to a safe elevation.

Just a few of our thoughts about the questions you posed in your posting.

Mike
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #4

Washington
Registry
Wink

Well, there's no place on earth that is totally safe when a disaster strikes. True, there isn't much one could do at Grayland Beach if a tsunami were to strike, any more than you could run out of an old unreinforced brick building when a large earthquake occurs. That's life...no guarantees on anything, least of all natural events. But, fortunately they are rare, (although we are probably due for a big one sometime in the future). That said, it could happen tomorrow, or a hundred years from now. I will take a chance and "risk" going to the coast. You can always take along one of those little NOAA weather radios if you have worries about "the big one" sneaking up on you. There are also hurricanes, earthquakes, landslides, dusty wind storms, flash floods, plagues of locusts, and oh yeah, drunk drivers, etc. out there too. I worry more about getting hit by some drunk driver or a texting teenager than I do about tsunamis. If you let the thought of something terrible happening take over your life, it will cripple your ability to enjoy the world around you. At Taidnapum, we could also conceivably have one of those Cascade Mountains rogue windstorms, which could possibly drop one of those big fir trees on your trailer, but I don't think that the odds are necessarily stacked against you for that happening either. (Although I did have an alder tree branch land on my trailer roof at Ellensburg last year during a windstorm. It was about 6" thick at the butt end, weighed about 60 lbs., and came down about forty feet from above. It punched a hole in my trailer roof behind the A/C unit. Took me a week of fiberglassing up the damage from that one.) But I still go back to Ellensburg.

Anyway, it's not about the hazards of the venue, but whether or not we (as a group):
1.) want to stay where we are,
2.) go somewhere else,
3.) go back to a previous venue, or
4.) suggest a new venue.

This is only the discussion phase, and no firm decision for 2011 has been made. That's what we're discussing here now.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Greg,

As a professional engineer for nearly 50 years, I was trained to examine all the options and weed out the lesser choices, then consider the remaining choices to determine the best of the best. From my personal point of view, tsunami risk is important. You see, Sandy has two titanium knees, and cannot run at all, nor even walk very far, especially over rough ground. There is no way to escape for us unless we can drive out of the danger. That is not to say we would necessarily opt to stay home from a WA gathering on the coast, but it certainly will be a consideration for us.

Sandy also does not take the heat well at all. It takes only mild heat that you and I could handle easily for her to turn beet red and begin to suffer from heat exhaustion. We would very likely not attend an Eastern WA. gathering for that reason.

In addition to trailering, I also enjoy woodworking in general and wood turning in particular. This year I have missed my May, June and July club meetings, two due to Gatherings and a third (June) to travel to SoCal to visit my 95 year old Mother (her choice of visit time). If the WA Gathering is again in early June, there will be no conflict for us, and we hope to come.

These are our considerations from our point of view.

Thus, 1): We would be happy to stay at Taidnapam
2): We would be happy to go somewhere else (in western WA)
3): We would prefer not to go back to Grayland (but would consider doing so) if Grayland were chosen.
4): Our experiences at other Western WA RV campgrounds are very limited, so we have no alternative campgrounds to suggest.
5): We hope the event will continue to be held in early June, as it was this year.

Mike
Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
we're good with Taidnapam, but would like a week or two later. But we'll try to work with whatever the group decides. Think this a great gathering and will make them all if we can.
cheers
Ian
Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Hi Greg and fellow Crampers!
Simon and I were moving house and missed June 2010, but we'll make every effort to go anywhere at anytime in June to connect with all of you. My preference is for BEFORE school lets out, but whatever... is fine. Greg, just throw the dart and let us know where it lands! *wink

Cheers,
Sharen & Simon
Langley on Whidbey Island, WA
Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
BTW, I haven't been on FRV lately. What the bleep is a "Senior Member?" Is that another reference to the year I was born??? lololol
xo
Sharen
Old 08-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathGal View Post
BTW, I haven't been on FRV lately. What the bleep is a "Senior Member?" Is that another reference to the year I was born??? lololol
xo
Sharen
We have apparently been here to long!

A meet in the Cascade's area would be nice.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
A week or two later would be fine by us. We had reserved a space this year but had to cancel last minute due to a scheduling conflict. Later would help to avoid that next year.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
From a purely selfish point of view we would love it if it was moved further into June as we have a long standing previous annual event we attend the second weekend in June each yr. so have not been able to attend the WA event. I know this yr. a few campground hosts I talked to said June was a slow month, no doubt due to the weather, so even a post school-out event may not be a problem, schools get out at all different times.

If eastern WA was to be considered I would suggest May, it is lovely there in May, we often go east in May for vacations due to the warmer (but not yet hot) weather, wildflowers, etc. But it sounds like most folks would prefer to stay west.

Statistically, June is a rainer month than May, but as we all know, it can vary year to year. It would be interesting to find out if later in June is in fact less rainier than early in June.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
I agree with you Penney. We had a small campout with a few folks from here about the 3rd week in May this year at Maryhill State Park in south central WA on the Columbia river. It was a little windy and chilly since it was in the Gorge but the scenery was beautiful and dry. Things had greened up by then and with the wildflowers in bloom, it was gorgeous.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Not to butt into the conversation, but Escape Trailer Industries is putting on their second gathering June 3 - 5th at a very large campground in Osoyoos, BC. If you choose the same dates, you'll be competing for participants. If you choose the weekend before or after, you may get folks that have traveled a long distance to participate at both. Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
For us, early is better, after the first weekend in June we get real busy working. I too like it before kids get out of school.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #15

Washington
Registry
Update: So far, the running "opinion poll" tally, to date, is as follows:

VENUE:
Taidnapum - 3
Grayland Beach - 0
Other Venue (Eastern WA/ Cascade Mts. area) - 2

TIME FRAME:
First weekend in June - 3 (this has been our past time frame)
Hold it a few weeks later in June - 3

I will keep this updated as this thread progresses...Keep 'em commin'!

Greg
Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Finke View Post
Update: So far, the running "opinion poll" tally, to date, is as follows:

VENUE:
Taidnapum - 3
Grayland Beach - 0

TIME FRAME:
Hold it a few weeks later in June - 3

Greg
Greg,
I don 't think we voted on the time for the Washington meet 2011 to be held. We would like to attend the Escape trailers 2011 meet and it is June 3-5, 2011, and we would also like to attend the Washington meet for it's 3rd year. If they were on 2 different week-ends would be our vote so we could attend both.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile venue vote

We like Taidnapam. It is a little out of the way, but doable.
If you are looking for things to worry about, some hikers found bear sign there this year.

(I was hoping to get some interest in the Winlock Egg Festival. This is held the third weekend in June. We went to Winlock but there seems to be no camping nearby. Ike Kinsewa is the closest state park. It is exceedingly difficult to drive around town towing a trailer. The humps crossing the railroad tracks caused us to bottom out, and the narrow streets were difficult to navigate towing Homelet.

Winlock Egg Day Coronation

Washington has so many nice parks. I would like to see gatherings a couple of times a year, maybe spring, summer, fall?

Spring or fall would be good in eastern WA avoiding the heat.
Also it is known for having sssnakesss.

Any season is good in the west.

We should endeavor to be near the greatest number of members.
There should be interesting things to do in or near the park.
(This year, several abortively tried to ride the Mt Rainier train.)

We don't want to conflict with Oregon or BC gatherings. The calendar on this website should help with that.

Otherwise, have at it.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Thumbs up

Washington has so many nice parks. I would like to see gatherings a couple of times a year, maybe spring, summer, fall?

Any season is good in the west.

We should endeavor to be near the greatest number of members.
There should be interesting things to do in or near the park.
(

We don't want to conflict with Oregon or BC gatherings. The calendar on this website should help with that.

Otherwise, have at it.[/QUOTE]

Roger,
Good idea having more than a once a year Washington NOG! Oh, don't forget last year's first NOG meet at Maryhill State Park on the banks of the Columbia river started by Paul & Norma, it was a lot of fun.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #19

Washington
Registry
Lastest Update: 8-30-2010

VENUE:
Taidnapum - 4
Grayland Beach - 1

TIME FRAME:
Hold it a few weeks later in June - 4

Also!!! It has been recently brought to my attention, via PM, of possibly naming one of our get-togethers in memory of Pete Dumbleton, who recently passed away. Perhaps we can add an additional (2nd) get-together during the year, not to conflict or compete with our currently established one. Any suggestions on when a second WA get-together would be a favorable to most folks? I mean, who wouldn't like an additional camping trip each year? Just a thought...

Greg
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
HI Greg,
We like Taidnapum and love Grayland -
Mid June would be our preference - we're going to try and follow Deb & Chuck up to B.C. for the Escape rally.
We don't have anything planned this September - how about an early September 2011 Pete Dumbleton Memorial where ever we don't go in June?
Closed Thread