1977 13' Window Frames - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #1

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13"
Missouri
1977 13' Window Frames

Hello

I am looking for the front and back window frames for a 13' 1977 Scamp - not worried about the condition of the acrylic in them/ i plan on installing new plexi
the original frame have a flanged aluminum track with rounded corners

or what does one do...

- they are not available from scamp anymore - I looked into the rubber gasket system - but it will not trap the factory iinsulation around the inside of the windows- any internet links would be greatly appreciated for someting would work!

Thanks
Kent in Missouri
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
You would probably be better off just redoing the ones you have,unless they are in really bad shape.It is a lot of work if you have heavy caulking on them but they look great when finished.Another option I found when I had my front window out is making it a solid one piece window using the original frame.You can just remove the 2 vertical bars and put a solid piece of plexi in it without modifying the frame at all.I installed my plexiglass that way just to see if it would work and it did.I ended up taking it back out and going with the functional window in the middle so it would look more original.I will be doing the one piece in the back window since the levers and locks are missing.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

Missouri
Thanks - I believe that is the way to go - looks like if i remove the small metal bar at the seam it will spread enough to get the bars and old plexi out - then i have to brass wire brush and strip off all the old gunk to get it all really clean for the powder coater.

What method did you seal the new acrylic in - Is there a rubber bead or sealant that goes back in around the grooved slot for the window? I plan on using 1/4" Cyro AR for the new one piece pane.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

South Carolina
Registry
I used the seals listed in this thread.http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42049.html
I cleaned my frame with a wire brush that goes in a drill.Much less work that way and the aluminum looks great now.You wont be able to use anything that thick in the original frame.The plexiglass I used is around 1/8 thick,maybe a little thicker.If I can find the label I will let you know.It was the exact thickness as the original plexiglass.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #5

South Carolina
Registry
I used .118" in mine.That is what was in it originally.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

Missouri
Yes thats what in it now the old panels - with rubber beading - I have enough cyro abrasion resistant acrlic left over from another projecyt - I am hoping to use it - its expensive and will hold up good to scraths and the wesaather - hope it fits, if not i will go the the 10th inch plexi with new beading

thanks for your help - the windows is the biggest pain in my whole restoration project getting them corrected.