1984 U-haul 13 for sale, $2200 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've always been intrigued by the extra-durable nature of the U-haul trailers, so I bought one this summer with the thought that I would make it my regular trailer and sell my Boler. However, I spent some quality camping time with a close family member in the Boler this summer, and for sentimental reasons I am going to keep it (unless I eventually go to a larger trailer). So the U-haul has to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	24063

This trailer is clean and campable right now, and I have a clear VA title. The tires are good (they still have the nubbins on the sides), and there is also a spare on a U-haul rim. These are the less common rims that do have the nubbins for hubcaps on them (eg. baby moons).

I apologize in advance for the photos being a bit dark - I live in the woods!

The inside of the trailer is bright and shiny, thanks to the double hull. It's still in pretty much stock, original, U-haul condition. Original ice box; original stove and vent hood (marked "U-haul); original sink and faucet; original upholstery in good condition. The curtains are later additions.

Name:	kitchen_upper.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	24068

The front couch does have its original backrest and folding bunk hardware.

Name:	bunk_up_from_bed.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	24067

The original dinete table, which drops down to make the double bed:

Name:	dinette_drivers.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	24066

The propane tank is the new style, and in excellent condition. Safety chains are new.

Name:	front_drivers.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	24065

There are original U-haul locker liners in some of the lockers (U-haul did not use them in all of the lockers).

Name:	bin_with_liner.jpg
Views:	124
ID:	24069

On the outside, she could use some sprucing up. The gelcoat is a bit oxidized, and there is an area on the driver's side that does not quite match in color. On the other hand, the original logos are all there. Not perfect, but kind of neat in their Americana U-haul-ness

Also, the windows need re-sealing. Before I bought the trailer it was stored under cover, but after I got it I noticed a small amount of water coming in when it rained (I didn't have it covered). No huge amounts, just a teaspoon or so.

Being ever the one to eliminate variables, I put 3M All-weather tape on the top edges of the windows (in the photos it looks like duct tape but is actually a 3M tape that is meant to be used outside for long periods of time). This solved the leak(s) and although I had the trailer outside all summer it has stayed dry.

However tape isn't a permanent solution, of course. The windows could be taken out and re-sealed. The front and rear windows have clamp rings.

The side windows have rubber seals, or if a buyer would prefer to replace them, Scamp has side windows available at a really good price that I believe would fit the existing holes. As a bonus, one could then get jalousie windows if one wanted to (the windows from Scamp are around $140 apiece; I have a soft spot for jalousie windows because they can be left open in the rain, but the originals are sliders, and Scamp also has sliders available). I don't necessarily think they need replacing; I'm just mentioning options.

Name:	door_side.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	24064

Also, the top outer plastic cover of the Pla-Cool evaporative (swamp) cooler on the roof is broken. I was not sure if this would cause a leak, so I taped plastic on the roof over the cooler. The coolers may still be available to buy new (I'm not sure), or, the opening can be fit with a standard 14" vent (which was put in many of the U-hauls when they were new - I suppose it depended on what part of the country they were outfitted in). Since the swamp coolers are really only good in dry climates, I would put in a vent in this part of the country; but I didn't want to decide for someone else.

The door latch works, but I do not have the key. It's a Bargman L-300, which is still available to buy new. Or, one can buy just the lock cylinder, for about $15. Here are part number and prices from one supplier:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-door-lock.htm

I towed the trailer home over the road, and all the lights do work - even all the clearance lights. It towed very smoothly, even behind my 4-cylinder car. There are stabilizer jacks built in to the back bumper mounts (stock).

Let's see, am I forgetting anything? Oh yes, while the trailer does have the original furnace and converter, I have not used them.

Name:	<a title=furnace.jpg Views: 69 Size: 61.4 KB ID: 24070" style="margin: 2px" />

I'm pricing this trailer affordably, as I'm hoping that someone who is on a budget can buy it, enjoy it, and fix the things that need fixing as they get to them. I know that when I was looking for my Boler that's what I was hoping to find. I didn't want a real "project," that would keep me from camping for ages; but I also couldn't afford a $4,000+ trailer, either. I don't want anyone to come into this thinking I have perfect trailer on offer, as it does need some attention; but I don't see it as a full-on project-type trailer, either. I want the buyer to be happy and feel like he or she got a great deal

A couple of things I like about the U-haul are that it has a really strong frame design (it provides support right out to the sides of the trailer), and a "killer" back bumper; and that the double-hulled design makes for an interior that is bright and shiny and easily cleanable

Right now the trailer is about an hour east of Richmond, Virginia. I'm open to delivering the trailer for a committed buyer. Especially somewhere along the I-95 corridor between Richmond and Maine, and/or between here and Indiana (where I have friends). We'd just have to make mutually agreeable arrangements.

Any questions? Just ask, either here or via PM (private message). You can send me a PM by clicking on my name and then finding "send message" on the drop down menu. Or if that's confusing, just respond here and we can take it from there.

I'll add more photos in another post, as I've reached the limit for this one.

Raya
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Here are more photos of the 1984 U-haul for sale:

Again, sorry for the darkness of the photos. It's a bright sunny camper when it's not a cloudy day in the deep, dark woods

Here is the front couch:

Name:	front_couch.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	24078

Here is the bunk up. When you make it into the couch back, the bunk support legs fold cleverly up under the bunk top and hook there, so you don't have to find a place to stow (or lose) them:

Name:	bunk_up.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	24073

Here's a shot of the double bed (dinette folded down):

Name:	bed_drivers.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	24072

Here's the ceiling. The square thing is the inside of the Pla-Cool evaporative cooler, which is where one could put a standard 14" vent, or a Fantastic vent (or a new swamp cooler). The outside plastic hood is broken on this one:

Name:	ceiling.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	24074

Here is the closet door and part of the dinette wall (sure is hard to take photos inside a 13-er)

Name:	closet_door_and_wall.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	24075

Inside the closet:

Name:	closet_inside.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	24076

Documentation:

Name:	documents.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	24077

More in an additional post, out of room on this one.

Raya
Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #3

Here is a last photo post for the 1984 U-haul 13:

Here's the upper part of the kitchen, with the original "U-haul" logo cupboard doors

Name:	kitchen_upper.jpg
Views:	62
ID:	24079

And the lower kitchen, with icebox and storage cupboard:

Name:	kitchen_lower.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	24080

Original sink (obviously!). The faucet is designed to work for city water or hand pump functions:

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	24081

Original propane stove:

Name:	stove.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	24082

"Vacation Adventure"

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	24083

I sure got a lot of attention towing this camper. More than my Boler, which surprised me. I guess it's a combination of the "Americana" aspect of U-haul, and the general small cuteness. A toll booth attendant even held up a long line of cars just to talk to me about it (I was hoping all the people behind me didn't think it was ME, digging for change or something )

I hope she finds a good home and can bring someone some happy camping memories

Raya
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Looks in good shape. Better than the one I bought.....
Old 10-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi Raya, Sent you a message with contact info for a possible buyer. Hope it works out. Stephen G
Old 10-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Hi Raya, Sent you a message with contact info for a possible buyer. Hope it works out. Stephen G
In just under a week since we brought ours home I've answered queries from at least 10 people either interested in the type or looking to acquire one,.I cant imagine yours lasting long on the for sale forums....these things are people magnets
Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #7

Stephen, I sent your friend the photos.

Bruce -- they are magnets, aren't they? It's kind of fun. I'm not sure why a moving trailer company would elicit so much cheerful Americana attention, but maybe it's like childbirth, where you forget the pain later on and only remember the good parts Actually, I bet it's tied into the American (US) love of mobility, moving, fresh starts, and exploring.

I forgot to mention that the original U-haul solar panel is up on the roof. Since I don't have a battery in the camper I can't vouch for it's working, but it is there and hooked up.

Raya
Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Raya, is your Uhaul still for sale? If so, how much does it weigh? Thanks,
-Drew

Old 10-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #9

I'm posting to say that I've sold the U-haul. A fellow spoke for it on Friday evening, but we didn't get together until today. I just got back home from delivering it (we were about four hours apart and so we met halfway)

I'll let him introduce himself, if he chooses to (he has applied to join the forum but is awaiting approval), but I will say that it was a pleasure to meet him. He's a friend of an existing forum member who PM'ed me to mention that his friend was interested and to let me know he was "one of the good guys." After meeting with him I couldn't agree more

I hope he has lots of fun with the U-haul, and perhaps he'll stop by the forum, too.

As always, thank you to the forum for providing this venue, and I will be making a donation to FGRV as a "Thank you."

Drew: The U-hauls are rated a little bit heavier that the equivalent Scamp/Boler/Trillium and have an empty weight of 1250# I would guess that's mainly due to the extra frame members U-haul added to the typical frame (there are tubular support bars that extend around the perimeter of the trailer).

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if many actual Bolers/Scamp/Trilliums end up weighing about the same, because they often have a 3-way refrigerator, which is not included in their published weight (because it was an "extra"). The U-hauls all came with iceboxes, which don't add much weight (and are included in the 1250#).

If you're cutting it really close on weight, I'd recommend a Boler/Scamp/Compact without a 3-way fridge or other extras. I think they probably would be closer to 1000#, but I would always want to weigh an individual trailer if I were looking for that ultimate low weight.

Raya
Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Drew:

There is a Uhaul listed on craigslist right now in Atlanta: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/rvs/1415030589.html

CindyL
Old 10-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #11

Thank you both very much for the info!
Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #12

hello I'm interested in the U-haul camper ,I live Big Sky MT.If it is still for sale please call chad[at]406-600-6769 since I do not have easy access to a computer ,thank you hope to hear from you.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #13

Chad,

Don't know if you'll see this then, but I sold the U-haul (as mentioned in my October 11 post).

I'll say it again now though since this will bring the thread to light again.

Good luck in your U-haul shopping

Raya

Tags
u-haul