1991 16' Scamp - Kansas City - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Due to weight concerns for my current tow vehicle, I am selling my Scamp.
16' model, mfr: 12/1991, VIN - 1S7-R1610-8-N01-24806,
no title available for state of KS (under 2K#'s), $5000/best offer

Located: Lenexa, KS (SW ‘burb of KC), owned since Nov. 2001

VIN breaks down as: 1S7 (gov't # for Scamp), R-Recreation, 1610-16', 8-gov't #, N-year 1991, 01-state (MN), 24-2400# axle, 806-sequence count

It needs some rejuvenation on the fiberglass exterior to make it shine. I cleaned out all the drain passages of the windows with an air hose. Then walked around the camper and noticed the small yellow side light up front with a cracked reflector. I noticed the spider web on the face of the fiberglass. It's on street side front up near the roof curve and about as big as your palm. There are 2 other areas with surface spider webs about 2". My wife recalls them being there when I got the camper couple years ago. The 2 are off the aluminum channel holding both top and bottom halves together. They are almost symmetrical up front. These areas only appear to be in the very surface of the camper and not breaking through the whole fiberglass shell. Underneath the rear window in the 'shelf' on the outside, the shell is cracked through. It’s no bigger than your thumb nail. There are pics in the album on these areas. We had hail several times here and that must have caused the cracked yellow lens as well as the rear window shelf crack. I also noticed 2 rivets missing their heads on the street side on the lower portion. Shouldn't be a problem to replace them. They are both to the closet down low and opposite sides.
The rear bed/table cushions my wife made years ago. The bottoms are a little big but do fit. Some of the rat fur is coming off the ceiling and pushing it you can here the stickiness of the glue, just needs a little spray adhesive.

Pics are in the album: Scamp Pics

Note: When I had the front window replaced couple years ago, I had a new gasket also installed. They also resealed the gasket to the window. Over this past winter, I had some slight leakage in the front window. It comes out on the rat fur on the bottom of the
window. We've had some significant rain here now. The front upper bunk is wet and lower is dry. The floor is dry. I've taped the top of the window and the lower middle seal to see if these are the areas for leaks. I'm thinking the water is getting past the edge of the seal against the camper, then comes down where the 2 end faces meet each other.

There is/was water damage to the floor area underneath the water tank (back curb side) under the table seat. Someone on the Scamp list stated his tank leaked ever so slight that his floor was also damaged. His water tank had small cracks in it. I never used the holding tank. When I started working on the Scamp in 02, I repaired the floor with wood hardener, then sandwiched it between 2 pieces of wood. I sealed the 2 pieces and used undercoating on the underside.

It's setup with couch/bunk beds up front, 2 closets (no bathroom), rear dinette/bed, heater w/thermo, cold AC, hand pump sink with water tank, no grey tank just outside drain, 1 upper cabinet, rat fur/insulation on the ceiling and walls, newer cushions/fabric, yr old front window, 3 burner cooktop, bad refrigerator, 4 stabilizers, newer style taillights, full propane tank, charged battery, 25 amp power converter w/ batter charger, newer tires/wheels, height adjustable 2" ball tongue coupler, swing tongue jack w/wheel,
7-way & flat 4-way electrical trailer connector, electric brakes, awning, and a great axle as it stands up and not resting on the axle. My wife did the cushions and fabric couple years ago along with the curtains.
The power converter I installed is a Magnetek with battery charger, 25 amps, Model 6325, Series 6300 A. It charges the battery as well as run the ac, 120v fluorescent light and the 12v lights. Refrigerator doesn't work, the heater w/ thermostat worked great 2 years ago when I last used it. AC works great and I readjusted the drain hose to drain properly. I added screen mesh to the refrigerator grilles to keep the bugs out. There is a brake system on the camper but never used it. Battery is stored in my basement during camper storage and charged every couple months. It's installed and ready to go. All 12v lights work. I've also got an extra bunk rod for some reason. It is missing a grille to one of the burners on the stove. I should have it someplace though.

I did weigh the camper as is for sale and it weighs 1820#s total with a tongue weight of 260#s.

Thanks for the interest.
Mike Moran
913-248-1577 Hm. CST
816-823-1327 wk.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #2

If my pricing is high, let me know. I placed the amount based on Ebay sales and other Scamp listings on Casita and Scamp forums. I know its high, but how high?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #3

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
It's very hard to say. The main thing holding it back (guessing) is the lack of a bathroom. It's got the privacy room (or at least it would with the shelves removed), but a whole lot of folks are real attached to that built-in pooper idea. I'm not, but I know I'm in the minority in that.

Given different circumstances I'd be pretty darn eager for some of the trailers that have been listed lately (I've wanted to pick up a 16 and mod it for a wider rear bed for some time). But with changing circumstances here at home it just kills the feasibility of that for me (although if someone wanted to swap for the Esterel I'd be very very tempted).

"value" is one of those things that's purely determined by a single seller and a single buyer at a single point in time. Your trailer is in nice shape. Fixed up nicely and doesn't show any of the feared ill effects of a former gov-surplus. If it were me, at this point, I'd load it up on eBay and see where the chips fell. Course - I did that with my PlayPac last fall and it didn't do as well as I'd have liked.

mkw
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #4

Ebay is the plan for this Sunday since a 13' Trillium (DesMoines) came available on Ebay. That's 3 hours from here.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #5

A little early than Sunday, but I posted my 16" Scamp on Ebay. Scamp

Been having some front window leakage during the winter. Finally took some steps to figure out where. Placed some tape on top of the window and at the center bottom. This stopped the leak. We've had couple inches of rain and drizzle here in the KC area for a couple of days. Went to see today if this stopped the leaking. It did. The towel was completely dry.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #6

Bump to top. Price has been reduced $4400.

Front leak has been identified. Easy repair. I've started on the repair by adding caulking behind the seal and the camper and resealing the base ends.

I'm heading to Canton, OH on Tuesday, 5/16 through the 70 corridor from KC. KC to St. louis, to Indianapolis, to Dayton, to Columbus, to Cambridge, to north to Canton. I can deliver along that route.

Thanks.

Mike

Tags
scamp