Boler jalousie dinette window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Boler jalousie dinette window

Hi all, we're finally making some choices on our slow-going Boler restoration, and need to make a final call on our missing side window. So, this is a feeler to see if anyone in our same predicament has gone the replacement route and ended up with a spare rear dinette window (18"x25"-ish, if I remember correctly) in the aluminum Jalousie style.

If a trade would help sweeten the deal, we have removed a handful of original parts (to a '76 Neonex Boler, at least) that will not be reinstalled: Suburban furnace (we removed before testing), original sink/faucet, power converter (also untested), stove (in sad, rusted condition), and a new Elixir ceiling vent that was never installed.

Thanks for any leads.

-- Jess
Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
What color is that? It looks like.... Eggplant!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #3

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
What color is that? It looks like.... Eggplant!
Eggplant would be cool... This is just brown.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
OLD Jalousie windows

I looked all over and couldn't find any to replace my 1979 Scamp's rear side window (exactly like an old Boler's). SO, I stopped on the highway, when I saw 3 old stick-built trailers in the back yard of an old auto shop. Two of the trailers had jalousie windows. Although both trailers' windows did not match up with my missing piece dimensions, I took the window out (he gave it to me FREE, as he was just going to sell the trailer as metal) and brought it to a friend who had some welding skills. He cut off a portion (about 1/3 of it's length) and following the old frame as his template, finished off the edges of the frame, like in the remaining windows. Many of
these older jalousie windows were made exactly the same way but in different sizes. I took it to a auto glass shop and had them cut me a tempered glass to install into the new frame. I paid just $20 for my friend to clip off the excess frame and finish the edges and another $50 for the glass and installation.
If you have access to tempered glass and could install it yourself, it'd be a lot less $$$.
Worked for me!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #5

Kansas
thanks for the tips bbuehler -- I like your approach (especially the free part). Still, we need to get the gaping hole in the side filled before our summer trips, and might end up in a time crunch that doesn't allow for such resourceful scavenging! And you're right about the other trailers -- I realized after posting that I probably should have just requested an older jalousie, not specifically boler.

Also, regarding the color -- Sam says above that it's "just brown," but I have to admit that odd color has officially grown on me!

-- Jess
Old 05-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

Kansas
Whoops, forgot to update this -- we now have all of our windows in place and couldn't be more relieved!

Tags
boler