Could Someone Help Me, Please? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi,

I'm new here, just tonight. I have been looking for a very lightweight little travel trailer to pull behind my 2006 Scion (box type) car. I am a single, retired woman with a little dog who loves to camp and I don't have much $$ to spend for this so I'm hoping someone could help me get something. I have been reading about the molded lightweight trailers and they sound perfect to me. I am not too particular except it must be clean, in good condition and SAFE to pull. I live in Portland, Oregon so it needs to be close to here too. Please help me find something. I'd love to be able to do some camping this fall. Thank you so much.

Doreen
Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Doreen, I've sent you a private message....
Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I think you're out of luck with that Scion. Upgrade your tow vehicle then get an appropriate trailer. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi,
I have been looking for a very lightweight little travel trailer to pull behind my 2006 Scion (box type) car.
I also want something very light. This is about the lightest one I've found. Might meet your needs just fine, but it's likely you would have to buy it new. I doubt there are many out there used. http://www.taylorcoach.com/Default.aspx?tabid=314

I also want to point out that you probably can't tow anything with your Scion, no matter how light. It doesn't have a frame in the conventional sense. It has unibody construction, which means there's no place to attach the tow bar to the car. Plus, it's built to be very low to the ground. Better start there....see if anyone on the forum knows how to put a tow bar on a low slung, unibody car.

Your other option for camping is to make your Scion into a tiny camper. If you can get a self-inflating air mattress to fit in the back, you can arrange various other conveniences so you can sleep back there. You'll want to find some way to darken your windows, and some suction cup holders for windows for your personal effects. You'd still have to cook your meals on a camp stove outside.

Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I also want something very light. This is about the lightest one I've found. Might meet your needs just fine, but it's likely you would have to buy it new. I doubt there are many out there used. http://www.taylorcoach.com/Default.aspx?tabid=314
Hey, nobody told me I could have had a Bobbie trailer!

Bobbie

Bobbie
Old 09-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')

You don't want a Bobbie trailer, or the Little El either!! new or especially used. Too much square front and wind resistance, as much or more work on the tow vehicle as my Trillum 13 used to be. These are made by a small family operation with good intentions, but these trailers are still a true testament to the "Stickie with all the leak and rot options" available.

It's funny going to the RV shows when they display these little things made by 1 small company beside another small company making the $60,000 Award Trailers. Putting a 13' molded fiberglass beside the full Airstream display would be similar sight.

Keep your eyes open for a Compact Jr or something like some of the Pilon (Fiberglass Sheet, not molded). Tear Drop Trailers.

Check the towing capacity of your Scion, it might be a little tight. There are hitches made for the xB Scion rated to 2000 lbs, but they carry the warning that the tow vehicle manufacturers maximum rating must be observed! If you are into that style of vehicle, the Honda Element would be a much better bet!

Good Luck with your hunt and keep up the research for the right combination, and don't be afraid to ask more questions!!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Doreen, I hate being the bearer of bad news. IF you can even find a hitch for your Scion (as it has no tow capacity rating listed at all... which generally means it's not recommended to tow anything) about the only campers you'll be able to tow safely with it are a motorcycle tent-camper. I doubt even an early Boler or Scamp would be light enough for you to tow safely. Sorry...

Here's a link to one brand called a Roadman... most other brands are similar. This was just the first link I found.

Roger
Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Tear Drops.

Another option for very light towing would be a tear drop trailer. Not much for room but still a dry floor, secure sleeping, and light weight. Better that a tent on a rainy day.

http://www.teardrops.net/
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #9

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
Tear Drops.

Another option for very light towing would be a tear drop trailer. Not much for room but still a dry floor, secure sleeping, and light weight. Better that a tent on a rainy day.

http://www.teardrops.net/

For the person using a Scion as a Tow vehicle. What about something like this. It's not even 500 lbs before adding options to it or your luggage etc. You can EASILY tow this.

http://go-camp.ca/home.html
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Having a unibody does not eliminate the ability to tow. Many rigs out there are unibody and hitches are readily made for them. My Element was unibody and it already had the frame drilled and set up at the factory for a class 1 hitch. I tugged a 13ft Burro happily with it for a couple years

My Liberty is also a unibody, and the FACTORY tow package allows it to tug 5k lbs.

That said, a Scion is not limited by it's unibody, but rather it's height and power. You have already gathered that by everyones answers.

You could TRY a Alite 400 from Aliner Its a hard sided folding trailer, but very small. You could ride out a storm in one and not have the disadvantages of canvas.. BUT.. you pay dearly for it.

Not a good bang for the buck. I was looking at these and even tho I like the concept and the tailer, I couldn't get over the price per square foot. These things run about 4k new.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'll agree that a unibody, per se, is not a restriction to towing (I think the M1 Abrams tank may be a unibody) however, the unibody MUST have been constructed with reinforcements for hitch attachments in mind (hardpoints in military aviation parlance) or it must be possible to reinforce the attachment points (I did that on a Saturn sedan rated for 1,000# because I didn't like the plain sheetmetal of some of the points).
Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream
Quote:
I'm new here, just tonight. I have been looking for a very lightweight little travel trailer to pull behind my 2006 Scion (box type) car. I am a single, retired woman with a little dog who loves to camp and I don't have much $$ to spend for this so I'm hoping someone could help me get something. I have been reading about the molded lightweight trailers and they sound perfect to me. I am not too particular except it must be clean, in good condition and SAFE to pull. I live in Portland, Oregon so it needs to be close to here too. Please help me find something. I'd love to be able to do some camping this fall. Thank you so much.
Doreen
I am selling my 1984 light weight Fiber Stream. It is 16' long and only weighs 1700 lbs.
It is very unique and very clean. Newly remodeled. It is fully self contained. It has plenty of windows and is bright and roomy for a small trailer. Full bathroom with Lav, sink and shower and a window. Have photos to send you.
Loretta