For Sale: FS soon-- 2004 Forester, tow-ready in Denver - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Colorado
FS soon-- 2004 Forester, tow-ready in Denver

Thanks, moderator, for restoring this sub-forum after I asked about it!

We're planning to sell our Denver-based tow car in about one month, and I thought I'd give the FG folks a first look before I advertise it elsewhere. Details:

2004 SUBARU FORESTER XS, a relatively rare model. Not the turbo, but it adds light gray body cladding, leather steering wheel and, importantly, rear disc brakes with a proportioning valve that sends more braking force to the rear wheels when they're heavily loaded.

-- Blue, gray interior, no sunroof
-- 5-speed manual with hill-holder
-- heated seats, CD changer
-- two sets of original alloy wheels with good summer and winter tire sets
-- Draw-Tite 2" hitch and Prodigy brake controller installed and working
-- seven-pin wiring pigtail for full brake and power sharing with trailer
-- 120,000 miles, about 5,000 miles spent towing a lightweight Scamp 16 (for details of its performance, just look up numerous threads I've posted here over the years).

Recent work included a timing belt and head gaskets at 100,000 miles. Front brakes are now a little warped and could be replaced. There is light hail damage on the hood, visible at a close look at the right angle of light.

I'm unsure about my asking price. When I see a Forester XS for sale, which isn't often, they seem to list for around $9000.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Tow-tugs for sale

OOPs - hit "reply" instead of starting a new thread! (My bad)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
They tend to be more valuable in areas like yours...when I have looked at possible sale prices for my 2000 it comes up around $4-$5 if I look in Washington, lower in California. (lots more mileage on mine, 193K I think, so it may be on the low end.) There is an 03 on the Fresno Craigslist but it doesn't list a price and is at a dealership so probably not comparable.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Colorado
PRICE DROP!!!

Now asking $8500.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

Colorado
No responses in three weeks. Is anybody shopping for a tow vehicle here? Or is this one just too non-truck/traditional?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
No responses in three weeks. Is anybody shopping for a tow vehicle here? Or is this one just too non-truck/traditional?
I'm thinking very hard about a Sube TV, but won't be serious about buying for a few months. And by then I'll be in Vancouver. Too bad I don't have the cash, I'm heading that way, (from New Mexico).
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dylan if you are serious about wanting a used Sube I will warn you that used Foresters are a really difficult find in Vancouver as Subaru's are a *very* popular vehicle here and as such - used they go very very fast and at prices much higher than the US. Post a used Sube for sale in the paper and its gone within 24 hours. In regards to prices they are higher not only due to demand but because they cost a lot more to buy than in the US - As example 5 years ago there was a $8,000 price difference between a new Outback in the US vs one in Canada.... bottom line I would highly recommend you find one south before crossing into Canada.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #8

British Columbia
Indeed, I've been getting that impression. Most likely I'll be looking around in Seattle/Portland. I have friends there, so will be going their anyway. It seems I can drive around on US plates as long as I have this work permit and do not start immigration (which just may happen!). So while there's no chance I'll be buying a new TV before I enter Canada, I will likely make trips over the border to look at and hopefully buy something.

My budget is low for a high demand car like the Subes. Can't imagine scraping more than $8,000 or $9000 together.

Anyone know if I do import the car, is there an advantage to owning it registered in the US for a period of time? I know in Australia if you haven't owned the car for over a year you pay much more to import a used vehicle
Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #9

British Columbia
Sorry for distracting from the vehicle sale! Perhaps a new thread is warranted.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #10

British Columbia
If buying a car in the US of A and then "importing it" into Canada - do yourself a major favour ("favor" in US) and check to make sure it is the same car here as there.

I am NOT familiar with Subaru so I cannot comment but many many many are VERY different

To start with, go to the website ( can't find it myself now) to see if THAT model can be imported.

Example. Honda Civics are sold in both Canada, and the US but only the name (and, I suspect - the radio knobs) are identical. Canada has a different laws regarding seats, seat mounting, seat belts, seat belt mounting, side-door intrusion beams, bumpers, tail lights, headlights, emission controls, gas tanks, gas caps, etc.

Conversion of a car to meet Canadian specs can easily the exceed the costs of buying a new car. One simple example: The US requires a 2.5 mph impact-resistant bumper, while Canada's standard is 5 mph. The change requires not only a different bumper, but the mount system, plus reinforcement of the chassis where the bumper mounts attach to the car.

In many cases, the entire drivetrain is different between Canada and the US. I owned a Honda for a while that simply could not be serviced in the USA as it had a Canadian - spec engine that was NEVER supplied in the US.

There is a humongous list of cars that may NOT be legally imported into Canada and a (much smaller) list of those that can be.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #11

British Columbia
Thanks for the advice. I checked for my MX-5 months ago and I think I just needed side marker lights added. But I know MX-5s well, spent many an hour discussing them online with owners all over the world and have owned them overseas myself (Japanese model imported to New Zealand) and I've never got the impression they change much for different markets other than which side they put the driver! (And the name badges, "MX-5 Miata" in North America only, just "MX-5" most places, "Roadster" in Japan), Well, and the smaller 1.6l engine option was not available after about 93 in North America, but stayed an option most of the rest of the world.

Subaru? Who knows.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #12

British Columbia
Found the website:
Vehicle Importation - Transport Canada
Old 09-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I mentioned it to a friend but the 5-speed makes it a no-go for her, and I suspect that's why it hasn't sold. It's what I prefer but it isn't what the majority want. There was one up in B'ham that was sitting at a really good price but also 5-speed.

Though.. the reason she needs a car is that she rolled their Outback down a 50 foot embankment and totaled it, but walked away. That should sell anyone on a Subaru. (Except for the fact she lost control of it somehow.)
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #14

Registry
All Subaru's built in the US are admissible to Canada without requiring any changes to them with the exception of those that were built after 07 that do not have the electronic immobilization system option in them - which are few and far between.

Subaru's actually rank very high on most if not all safety lists - actually the only auto maker to have all its models make the Top Safety Pick award in 2012 which is the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s award. They also hold a 5 star safety rating from most of the National Safety councils as well.

The 5 speed actually gets better gas mileage than the auto.

Hopefully John will find a buyer for his soon!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #15

British Columbia
5spd is perfect for me. Maybe if you don't have a buyer by the new year, we can meet in Utah or something.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Canada Black book value:
Trade-in $6550
Retail $8575

VMR Canada
Wholesale $7500
Retail $9600

Seems the place to sell it is here in Canada!

Vic
Old 09-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Get you coming and going

The current Forester is made in Japan. The dealership we bought ours from sold many Outbacks to Canadian customers at a big savings because it is made in the US. Because of the Foresters Japanese manufacture, Canadians purchasing a Forester in the US and taking it back to Canada, must pay the import duty. I am not sure if that applies to used vehicles. Raz
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #18

Registry
Raz, what model year did they stop assembling the Forester in Indiana?

If the car is not assembled/built in the USA then you are correct Duty would need to be paid bringing it into Canada whether it is new or old.

But there is another kicker on *all* new cars purchased by a Canadian in the USA. Subaru stopped about 4 years ago covering the warranty work in Canada on cars bought by Canadian's in the USA if they did not have a US residency at the time the car was purchased. If you live in the US and have a problem while traveling in Canada no problem they will fix it in Canada - goes both ways. Subaru was actually the last car manufactures to put that rule into effect to stop the big flow of cross border car shopping going on - caved into pressure from Canadian dealers. I had no problems getting my US purchased Subaru's dealt with under warranty here in Canada as they were purchased before the rules changed.

Funny enough there are still a large number of people who will buy a new Subaru Outback in the USA due to the price difference and take thier chances that they will not need any warranty work done in Canada on it. Its a pretty good bet due to the reliability of them. On the chance they do need work done they just take a day trip to the closest US dealer to have it done.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #19

Colorado
Psst- car still for sale

No takers yet, but at least I started a spirited discussion. How I wish I was selling the car up in Canada. It's my favorite country, present nationality included. It just seems to fit my liberal/Scottish/cool-natured temperment. Count yourself lucky, Canucks!

I know the manual transmission limits the market for my car, but it increases its driveability and performance. If anyone is thinking of towing anything with a Forester, you want the 5MT. On paper, that raises the tow rating by 400 lbs, to 2,400 lbs. On the road, the 5-speed makes best use of the engine's 175 hp. and provides just the right degree of engine braking on long descents.

In comparison, I test-drove the 2012 Forester with automatic and found it totally lame. To call it a dog would be a slander on lazy dogs everywhere. Subaru's ancient four-speed automatic got caught between gears, and I could not accelerate up a steep residential road, though I held full throttle for eight seconds. Felt like I was pulling a trailer!

Bottom line is, the Forester XS is a gutsy little tow car that punches above its weight. You can read about my towing experiences in my previous posts here, if you search. My car will find a buyer eventually, but it would be nice to find a buyer here who would make use of my tow prep improvements and mods.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
It's my favorite country, present nationality included. It just seems to fit my liberal/Scottish/cool-natured temperment. Count yourself lucky, Canucks!
Oh we do!! LOL except for when you hear someone try and play God Save Our Queen on the bagpipes.... then I question it!