NV Hunter 1974 Compact II Must Sell $3000 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Arkansas
Hunter 1974 Compact II Must Sell $3000

This trailer has been sitting near Las Vegas Nevada unused for 10 years. The fiberglass exterior is in GREAT condition; no cracks, etc. I just put 2 new tires on it (plus a new spare). Before storing near Las Vegas, I had the leaf springs replaced. It very likely needs service on the wheel bearings before it is roadworthy. The plastic/rubber trim on the exterior (around windows; around seam) needs replacing (desert heat seems to have shrunk it). The seat/bed cushions were professional upholstered with marine quality material and new foam. The dining table has a new top and the interior walls are in fine shape. There is some custom woodwork; the table with the sink needs replacing. There is no working faucet. There are no drawers or shelves. The popup structure is in good condition, but I have replaced the "window" and plastic material with regular screening. There is a small crack (perhaps a BB gun hole?) in the front window (covered with a decal). There is no stove; no propane tank. The complication: This trailer sits in Pahrump, NV at a gated storage lot loaded with camping supplies. Packed full. I would have to meet a buyer there and unload all my stuff first. I didn't get to work on the wheel bearings, so a buyer should have those serviced in Pahrump. I've attached some pictures. Asking $3,000. I have other pictures I can send you (front view, packed interior, etc.) Questions?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8994.jpg   IMG_9008.jpg  

IMG_9004.jpg   IMG_9001.jpg  

Old 08-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
PM me with photos and any more info. Would love to see it. Any details. Very interested.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I congradulate the seller for his honesty in listing all of the condition issues.

It sounds like the interior is basically, gutted, the top boot is missing and some service will be needed just to tow it home. And, I don't know about NV, but if the registration is also that far out of date, that can also be a problem in several states.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #4

Arkansas
I'm not sure what it is worth; I just made a guess based on the condition of the fiberglass itself (perfect, I think). It's really not gutted inside at all (except to the left as you enter---there is no longer a stove, just a tabletop with a sink). It MAY be roadworthy as is--I just don't know what happens to wheel bearings after sitting in the desert for years. This Hunter has a "permanent" AR trailer license plate, hence there has not been a lapse in registration. Not sure how other states register these trailers. It's not a huge project; I would merely replace the exterior trim, repair/replace the front glass, and replace the counter (left, as you enter). I like the full screen on the popup. The trailer has never leaked to my knowledge. It sure attracted attention wherever I took it in the past. It fits in a garage, as you know, and can be towed by almost any vehicle. It's amazing how much stuff I can store within the trailer itself!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8995.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Keep in mind, that one person's high price may be another's idea of reasonable. If this is someone's dream trailer that they've been searching for, price may not be the deciding factor. Its recommended to negotiate pricing via Private Messaging.
Appears that this one does have a nice shell, and a 'clean slate' interior to work on, plus that cool rear entry door. Good luck on the sale
Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Arkansas
Questions that needed answers:

Hi Newt

Could you please add the following information to your posting:

1. Where you are located... it appears that you are in Arkansas. If so, how do you propose to show/sell the trailer???

Ans: I live about half the time in Arkansas; the other half of the time in California. The Hunter is stored in Pahrump, NV. I listed "AR" because the trailer is registered in AR. When in California, I will simply drive to Pahrump and unload my camping gear from the trailer and donate the surplus camping supplies. There is a lot! The trailer will become completely cleaned out. The buyer can then see the trailer with the new cushions installed, tabletop in, and no junk around.

2. Is the AZ title in your name? I have learned that "Permanent" registration in AZ is actually for only 5 years, can you clarify that issue.

Ans: The title is AR (Arkansas, not Arizona). It is a permanent title; I pay personal property tax on it annually, so I know it is valid. See p. 23, top:

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/trucking.../irpManual.pdf

3. When was the last time it was towed any distance, (at least 50 miles) or has it been in that same storage yard for 10 years.

Ans: I towed it from Sedona, AZ (I was in Arizona for one year) in April 2004 after installing new springs and having it checked out. I rented storage space in Pahrump, NV in April 2004 and it has sat there ever since. I pull camping supplies out of it every so often. (I camp in Death Valley, actually Saline Valley, hence the name on the trailer. Yet it has never been to Saline Valley!). So it hasn't been moved for nearly 10 years, hence the concern about greasing the wheel bearings. It has new tires and is resting on jacks (not tires).

4. How long have you actually owned the trailer?

Ans: I bought this trailer in July 1996 from an RV dealer in Mayflower, AR. It was a mess inside but I enjoyed replacing much of the interior with hardwoods. I was never comfortable with the original propane stove, hence I simply used a standard small Coleman propane stove on the table to the left as you enter. Behind the accordion door to the right is a place for a porta potty and small shower (really small). There is no working water faucet. I simply buy water in a jug with a spigot and put it on the table (as I recall, the sink works as it should). There is no rust, rot, damage to the fiberglass, etc. The front window never had a rock guard (never knew it was supposed to have one), hence the small damage to the glass is very likely from a rock or other road debris.

Basically, it is in great condition where it matters most (the fiberglass) and always attracts attention. The changes I made probably made it lighter, clearly not heavier (got rid of the propane tank and heavy water tank). It seems feather weight as I can easily move it around by hand on a level surface. The screen top is an improvement because of ventilation (breeze, etc.) as I see it. It's rare, as I understand, and solid construction. Because it fits in a garage, I've kept it all these years but never got around to actually moving it to our garage (which no longer has any room). I can't give it away, but I am willing to consider any reasonable, fair price.

It seems to me that a buyer could have it shipped anywhere in the U.S. for not much money given its size and weight. If this ends up on Ebay, I'm sure a buyer will consider shipping. I apologize for not cleaning it out before listing this. If I don't sell it now, I will clean it out and take more pictures of the interior with the seats, table, etc. and relist it in the fall. It does look cute when all the interior is assembled.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

Name: Flora
Trailer: in the market
Nevada
Hi

I live in Pahrump and am interested in seeing your camper. Can that be arranged? Flora
Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #8

Arkansas
Update

Hi Flora, I had it serviced in Pahrump (Tire Works, great place by the way) and took it camping in Mohave and Joshua Tree when no one seemed interested. (Definitely got attention there.) Loved it so much that I towed it back to Arkansas where it sits in my garage. Am making a few customized improvements and then decide if I want to depart with it. I saw a '74 Hunter Compact on Ebay last week but it appeared to sell quickly. If I sell, it won't be on this forum but on Ebay. These little Hunter Compacts, at least I think, are priceless.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would like to remind anyone posting in the For Sale threads to please read and follow the rules for doing so.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...les-61548.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #10

Name: kat
Trailer: looking
Nevada
i'm in las vegas and would like to see the trailer
Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeadcrafter View Post
i'm in las vegas and would like to see the trailer
Seller took it off the market. See Post #8 above

Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #12

Follow the ads on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. there is at least 1 or 2 there, but the good ones don't last long.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #13

Arkansas
Last month I serviced it and towed it back to Arkansas from Pahrump because there was little interest. Right now I'm restoring it with the idea of selling it on Ebay.