Jalousie Trade for Modern? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Jalousie Trade for Modern?

I was thinking about replacing a set of classic Scamp Jalousie dinette windows with a set of the modern type. Would anyone be interested in swapping?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Why do you want to do that?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Keep in mind,you cant have the newer style windows open when it's raining like you can with the jalousie windows.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #4

Don't get me wrong... I love the old style windows. But in this case i'm thinking a little outside the box. They are really tough to clean up and restore. And I am going for a complete modernization. And I'n this case the front and rear windows have already been replaced with the pop-in plex that I despise! So they will look like more of a match I hope.

It's one of those experiment things. I personally like the newer look. But the old school are pretty classy too.

Thank you!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bran View Post
Keep in mind,you cant have the newer style windows open when it's raining like you can with the jalousie windows.
With the addition of Maxxair vents, you can and without the "red rider" effect of jalousie windows, also a roof vent cover is needed to get full ventilation in the rain without infiltration.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #6

Indiana
"red rider" effect?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
"red rider" effect?
Paraphrase..."YOU'LL POKE YOUR EYE OUT!!"
Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

Indiana
Ok, now I got you.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wish I could! I would love to have jalousie windows. Sigh. Either way, you've got work ahead of you. Either cleaning/polishing the jalousies or fiberglass work to put the radius corner windows in... ya gotta fill those corners. Aluminum polishes up really nice. Looks bright and clean. But, then you'd need to protect the finish or they'll "corrode" again. I'd suggest usin Flitz. Works to "seal" aluminum.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
I was thinking about replacing a set of classic Scamp Jalousie dinette windows with a set of the modern type. Would anyone be interested in swapping?
Hi, David-
I think your market is probably somebody who's doing an "all-original restoration". Your best bet might be to go ahead and put in your new windows and sell the old ones.
You might even make a bit on the deal, since the "original" jalousies are pretty hard to find.
And it's possible that your oldies will fit other trailer makes...

Good luck!

Francesca
Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #11

Name: Lise
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Washington
Registry
Fiber Stream cushions

Any Fiber Stream owner interested in the the set of cushions and who will be at the Bandon campsite next month. I need to get rid of them, I don't have the room to safely store them and I bought mattresses that keeps the bed made permanently so I don't need them and hate to just throw them out since they are in good condition. If interested, just send me a note and I will bring them along. Even if you don't attend and you live near the I 5 corridor, we could meet at a rest stop or station.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #12

Name: Lise
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalise View Post
Any Fiber Stream owner interested in the the set of cushions and who will be at the Bandon campsite next month. I need to get rid of them, I don't have the room to safely store them and I bought mattresses that keeps the bed made permanently so I don't need them and hate to just throw them out since they are in good condition. If interested, just send me a note and I will bring them along. Even if you don't attend and you live near the I 5 corridor, we could meet at a rest stop or station.
Won't delete???
Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #13

Name: Joel
Trailer: 76 Boler 1300
Alberta
Registry
Hello, where are you at? Would you be interested I selling the windows?

Thabks
Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_flamesfan View Post
Hello, where are you at? Would you be interested I selling the windows?

Thabks
Thank you everyone for your comments and input- I have decided to keep the windows. The front and rear are the standard "Pop-In's" and don't match the rest, but when I realized how hard it would be to replace the Door window with one of those... I bailed out on the project and will keep it the way it is. I wanted to make them all match.... So thank you for the comments!

BTW - Donna.... Some day I will find you a full set of Jalousie windows and maybe we can hire Robert to install them all fancy for you