Pete Dumbletons 1991 13ft Scamp, $2500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Pete Dumbletons 1991 13ft Scamp, $2500

This is the Scamp that has traveled the country and back again. Pete fulltimed in it for many years, and has shared his adventures and mods with us and other user groups generously, as well as providing much guidance to all over the years.

The Rollin' Rathaus is famous both here and at Yahoo Scampers. Sadly, Petes adventures with it have come to an end, and his family has asked us to help find it a new appreciative home.

It has been set up specifically for a single person to live in off grid. It has a unique bed set up, a single, raised over the big dinette with a slide out table from underneath making seating and eating space for 2.

The front bunks are intact, but have been converted to storage space. The conversion is easily removed and the bunks are intact, including the cushions.

Closet is intact. It is equipped with an icebox, however, a refrigerator will be included in the sale. Pete had it removed and stored when the Scamp went into storage a couple years ago. Its working condition is unknown at this point.

There is an Empire wall mounted propane space heater with a ceramic element, standard sink and 2 burner stove.

Scamp is equipped with Electric Brakes and a spare tire.

Included in the sale will be all of Petes trailer "stuff".. some of unknown condition, such as the unmounted awning. There is a single propane tank, a battery, a small battery charger, and misc items that Petes intent for is unclear, such as a set of air shocks.

The trailer has been stored in a garage since it went off the road a few years ago when Pete's health started to deteriorate. It remains dry, but does show signs of "storage wear" as seen in the photos. It has sat for a long time, unopened and unused. It may require some elbow grease to be brought up to snuff.

The trailer is located on Bainbrige Island in the Seattle area. Please contact me thru FGRV pm for initial questions. As you might guess, Petes family has a lot on thier plate at the moment. They asked us because they believe it would be Petes wish that the trailer go to a fiberglass enthusiast and that his online buddies have the first opportunity to aquire it.
Attached Thumbnails
KS RatHaus at Center sign.jpg   NF South Brook CG.jpg.jpg  

bedsetup.jpg   tablesetup.jpg  

Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Registry
one of the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen.jpg  
Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
You are a good person, Gina.

Keith
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #4

Registry
Thank you, Keith.

Pete was special to us all and we owe it to him to help his kids out.

This would be a very good trailer for someone on a budget that wants a reliable unit. I KNOW he would not have left anything unsafe in it, and no doubt has made a lot of it it better than the factory did.

For $2500 it a steal.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

Too bad it can't go to the RV Hall Of Fame in Elkhart, Indiana. It really represents a wonderfully unique episode in Rv'ing.

If I had the money, I'd buy it myself and see if they wanted it. Maybe someone out there could look into this.

Thanks Gina

EKW
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
I'm just guessing here, as I certainly did not know Pete, but judging by his posts, his reputation, his travels, he'd probably want to see his trailer keep on keep'n on and not become a museum piece! But I understand the sentiment.

Wouldn't it be great if Cheryl who just lost hers in the accident could buy it - new life for the trailer and a new trailer for Cheryl.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
Too bad it can't go to the RV Hall Of Fame in Elkhart, Indiana. It really represents a wonderfully unique episode in Rv'ing.

If I had the money, I'd buy it myself and see if they wanted it. Maybe someone out there could look into this.

Thanks Gina

EKW

I agree, we visit the RV Hall of Fame this summer and my only disappointment was that out little eggs were not represented, granted I realize the Boler or Cloud were probably the first on the block but the Scamps have the numbers I think.

Perhaps we could all make donations here to purchase Pete's camper and donate it to the Hall of Fame in his name or to a deserving party.

I would gladly contribute to such a cause.

Scott
Old 08-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
As would I. Pete was a mentor to many of us. But would they take it? How do we find out? How do we make sure the history of our trailers is archived. Matt's documentary when it's finally finished?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
As would I. Pete was a mentor to many of us. But would they take it? How do we find out? How do we make sure the history of our trailers is archived. Matt's documentary when it's finally finished?

I guess we would have to contact them I saw many donated RV's by the family of so and so while there but with every thing there are budgets and space to maintain factor.

They may have some criteria for donations ie: historical significance, a s/n No.1 boler might be on their list as a no number Burro with the floor falling out ( no offence to my fellow burro owners )not so much.

At present I believe this site and the others like it offer the best documentation of our eggs, as for the documentary I guess time will tell what that amounts to.

I always thought it would be cool if we made a coffee table book of eople on the forum, a pic and thier story, I saw one the other day on old dogs that was great.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 77 Scamp
hey its me Brandy.....I'm away from my personal computer currently so can not contact my friend who is interested. He is a solo camper looking to hit the road and as someone I know he is a good person who would use the scamp to its fullest. If you are willing to wait til monday when i get back i would appreciate it, however I realize these high demand trailer waits for no-one. If you send me a message I can send you my cell if need be, but I'd rather not place my info for the world to see. Thank you and if it finds a better home and I've missed the opportunity thank you anyways...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 77 Scamp
okay just had a message I needed to empty my inbox....all is gone message away
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #12

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '73 Boler
Ontario
Registry
Good morning Gina,
First, my condolences to the family.
I am interested in some more information on the trailer. Can I perhaps contact you more directly to discuss further. I am in Ontario but have family in BC and perhaps could arrange something. I look forward to your reply. My email is astroboy138_00@yahoo.ca
Old 09-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B. View Post
I guess we would have to contact them I saw many donated RV's by the family of so and so while there but with every thing there are budgets and space to maintain factor.

They may have some criteria for donations ie: historical significance, a s/n No.1 boler might be on their list as a no number Burro with the floor falling out ( no offence to my fellow burro owners )not so much.

At present I believe this site and the others like it offer the best documentation of our eggs, as for the documentary I guess time will tell what that amounts to.

I always thought it would be cool if we made a coffee table book of eople on the forum, a pic and thier story, I saw one the other day on old dogs that was great.
Scott, you are correct about not knowing whether they would take it, or not, because when I was there I also talked to them about other things and one of the Directors told me that budgets and space were an issue. However, I still think it would really be a great tribute to Pete. On the other hand, so would someone else using it and continuing it's life would be cool too.

Either way, I'm sure it will work out OK. I really do love your idea of the Coffee table book. It would be a huge effort on someone's part, though. It could be an ongoing thing like the FOXFIRE BOOKS, too. Are we dreamers, or what?

Take care and Pete, you kinda direct all this, OK?

Regards,

Keith
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #14

One more thing

I just wanted to add this: When I visited the RV Hall Of Fame in May of 2009, they had a fairly large old Travel trailer there that someone had donated and it was a real wreck. However, you could go through it and there was a short narrative of who had used it. It was a traveling contractor who worked on Power Plants, and if I remember correctly, he and his wife lived in the thing for 40 years or so. Didn't have a bathroom or anything we would want but it was clearly their home and I think she even lived in it after he died.

It was really intesting to see and just demonstrates that a FG with the floor falling out, etc, might not be a problem if there's a great story with it.

Keith
Old 09-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #15

Registry
Petes Scamp has been taken off the market for the time being.

Thanks for the interest.

Tags
scamp