Wanted: Request for ideas re downsizing my trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Request for ideas re downsizing my trailer

I'm thinking of selling my cute 16' Scamp and downsizing to lighter weight trailer. (Scamp weighs 2,000 lbs unloaded and I'd like 1,000 or less). Any suggestions? I realize now I dont need a shower or toilet and looking for a bit larger than teardrop so I can sit or stand inside. Would love suggestions. Limited budget, of course.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Current Scamp 13s start at 1250 pounds unloaded (before options). Burros are reported to be somewhat less- thinner fiberglass, perhaps. A Hunter Compact Jr. or Trailswest Campster would come close. All those will likely start closer to 1100-1200 pounds, and it will depend on modifications made by previous owners.

One that might come in under 1000 pounds is a Mity-Lite, but they're pretty rare. The low profile is a plus for towing.

Name:   MityLite1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:   MityLite2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  21.8 KB
Old 04-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
I just saw a happy camper in here for sale, that might work for you.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #4

Indiana
Registry
Thanks. I knew this group would know stuff. I'll look up both MityLite and the market here
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The Hunter Compact Jr makes a nice choice and it fits in a standard garage. I see them for sale used from time to time.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Indiana
Registry
I should add that my budget is low. 10k or less if possible. I'll be putting my sweet 16' 2005 scamp on the market as soon as and if I find a smaller lightweight.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Judi,

Weiscraft's Little Joe weighs in at 1,100 lbs empty.

Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers

I don't know about their other units or prices, but it might be something to investigate.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #8

Indiana
Registry
Thanks. Will search it out.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Judi,

Weiscraft's Little Joe weighs in at 1,100 lbs empty.

Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers

I don't know about their other units or prices, but it might be something to investigate.
Obviously, I will vote for the Little Joe. Ours is 1760 lbs loaded to go with a 170-180 lb tongue weight.

What are you towing with, and how many travel with you?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I had my 1974 Boler 13 weighed dry and empty: 1140 lbs.
PS: My 1974 Boler 13 tongue weight was a joke. I could lift it and move it around.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Obviously, I will vote for the Little Joe. Ours is 1760 lbs loaded to go with a 170-180 lb tongue weight.

What are you towing with, and how many travel with you?

I will continue rowing with my Subaru Forester which has a tow capacity of 2500 pounds. It did okay with my Scamp 6' but I don't need that size any more as I've found what I need after five years on the road for 3 months. I'm alone in my travels. I love the look of Little Joe.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #12

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
I will continue rowing with my Subaru Forester which has a tow capacity of 2500 pounds. It did okay with my Scamp 6' but I don't need that size any more as I've found what I need after five years on the road for 3 months. I'm alone in my travels. I love the look of Little Joe.

Scamp 16 foot, not 6 foot.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #13

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
I vote with Clif about the Little Joe. We love ours. And if inside headroom makes any difference, it probably has the most of any. And the bed is 6-1/2 feet long. I am 6'1" and can stand up straight.

. . . . Fred
Old 04-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #14

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Scamp 16 foot, not 6 foot.

I like the looks of Little Joe but not sure there are used. Haven't found any so far. My budget as I said is at most 9k if I sell my scamp 16'.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Within those cost and weight limitations there sure aren't many options. You could shop for a long time before finding anything. (Or one might come up for sale tomorrow, but the probability is really low.)

The greatest strain on a drive train, most of the time you're towing, is the wind resistance. Weight is secondary, but it comes more into play when towing uphill. For protecting a drive train, I think maybe reducing speed another 5-10 mph would be more effective than losing 1000 lbs of trailer (given the same frontal profile).

But of course, if your primary worry is the hitch weight, then a typical 13' egg would solve the problem and they are plentiful.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #16

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Within those cost and weight limitations there sure aren't many options. You could shop for a long time before finding anything. (Or one might come up for sale tomorrow, but the probability is really low.)

The greatest strain on a drive train, most of the time you're towing, is the wind resistance. Weight is secondary, but it comes more into play when towing uphill. For protecting a drive train, I think maybe reducing speed another 5-10 mph would be more effective than losing 1000 lbs of trailer (given the same frontal profile).

But of course, if your primary worry is the hitch weight, then a typical 13' egg would solve the problem and they are plentiful.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate that input. My biggest worry is while I've towed on back roads at 40-50 MPH, in October I am planning a slow and return trip to the Southwest for another 6 weeks of tootling about every 2-3 days, this trip must include a four day weekend at a conference at LAX. I tried once to take my trailer as far as San Bernardino a few years back and forced to use many interstates, I vowed NEVER to do that again. That, combined with my increasing age (now73), I decided downsizing my trailer might be good now, as I plan on camping another 7 years alone if I can manage it. With your advice, I may keep with my 16' Scamp and see if I can figure a way to leave it unmanned out in Needles or somewhere 3 hours from LA airport and drive in. It's good to hear all these options and while I may keep my Scamp another year, if a tiny trailer pops up, I will buy.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #17

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
I like the looks of Little Joe but not sure there are used. Haven't found any so far. My budget as I said is at most 9k if I sell my scamp 16'.
It's true, they may be hard to find, but I bought mine used and I think most of the ones owned by forum members were bought used.

Weiscraft is a small company. Production has been small compared to the more common makes, but the quality is high. Also, it's important to note that the Little Joe is built on the same molds as the now defunct 'Lite House' trailer for two, a simpler trailer orignally mounted on what I believe was a boat trailer.

In all honesty, you would do best to make a list of those trailers that fit your needs and be ready to move when you find one on your list for sale. If you don't get the one you really want and the ideal one comes up later, you will likely be able to recoup your investment when you sell.

Go to the "Document Center" under the "More" tab at the top of the forum page. There are a couple of inspection lists for used trailers that will be helpful when you find something interesting within your price and distance limits. Be ready to move fast, as they go quickly. Be ready, cash in hand to make the deal, if it's right.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #18

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
It's true, they may be hard to find, but I bought mine used and I think most of the ones owned by forum members were bought used.

Weiscraft is a small company. Production has been small compared to the more common makes, but the quality is high. Also, it's important to note that the Little Joe is built on the same molds as the now defunct 'Lite House' trailer for two, a simpler trailer orignally mounted on what I believe was a boat trailer.

In all honesty, you would do best to make a list of those trailers that fit your needs and be ready to move when you find one on your list for sale. If you don't get the one you really want and the ideal one comes up later, you will likely be able to recoup your investment when you sell.

Go to the "Document Center" under the "More" tab at the top of the forum page. There are a couple of inspection lists for used trailers that will be helpful when you find something interesting within your price and distance limits. Be ready to move fast, as they go quickly. Be ready, cash in hand to make the deal, if it's right.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Interesting trailers. Little Joe likely better configured. These are made for utility crews & splicing fiber optic.
Trailers | Product Categories | Pelsue
Old 04-05-2017, 03:55 AM   #20

Indiana
Registry
I'm thinking about Moby CR2. Tiny but looks easy to pull and outside cooking which I like.