Roof vent assembly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to sherman
Hi.
I am looking for a vent crank assembly for the roof vent on my 1989 Scamp 13ft. A strong wind blew off the vent and broke the crank assembly along with the vent cover. It's a cast unit with a small crank handle that has the name Jensen on it. I would like to find the complete crank assembly with the arm that fastens to the roof vent. I tried to buy a new replacement vent from Scamp but they don't have this one anymore. The vent is 24 1/4" X 17 3/8" exit hatch type with the push up screen for roof exit. After searching for Jensen I found some tech help and was referred to PPL Motor Homes. The replacement cover cost $80 with shipping but no crank handle was available. This little crank assembly is 3 1/4 " long with two screw holes that are 2 15/16" apart center to center. Since I have never looked at another Scamp (very rare in my area) I don't know if this is the same in all of them. As far as the arm that connects from the assembly to the bar on the underside of the roof vent, I don't have a clue as to what it looks like or how long it is. I can email a photo of the assembly I have if anyone thinks they may have one.
Hope to hear from someone. Thanks, Sherman merchant merchant2093@yahoo.com
Old 06-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi.
I am looking for a vent crank assembly for the roof vent on my 1989 Scamp 13ft. A strong wind blew off the vent and broke the crank assembly along with the vent cover. It's a cast unit with a small crank handle that has the name Jensen on it. I would like to find the complete crank assembly with the arm that fastens to the roof vent. I tried to buy a new replacement vent from Scamp but they don't have this one anymore. The vent is 24 1/4" X 17 3/8" exit hatch type with the push up screen for roof exit. After searching for Jensen I found some tech help and was referred to PPL Motor Homes. The replacement cover cost $80 with shipping but no crank handle was available. This little crank assembly is 3 1/4 " long with two screw holes that are 2 15/16" apart center to center. Since I have never looked at another Scamp (very rare in my area) I don't know if this is the same in all of them. As far as the arm that connects from the assembly to the bar on the underside of the roof vent, I don't have a clue as to what it looks like or how long it is. I can email a photo of the assembly I have if anyone thinks they may have one.
Hope to hear from someone. Thanks, Sherman merchant merchant2093@yahoo.com
Try a hardware store. I was able to replace a lost part for the window above the stove by using a louver window mechanism. I had to make the sliding part from plastic but the rest was "off the shelf".
Old 06-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #3

Hi Shirley,
Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to find an exact replacement if possible to keep all original. I'm not the mechanical genius I used to be and don't want toget involved in trying to make up parts. Since my unit doesn't have window cranks I don't have anything to match. I an hoping someone knows of an old discarded unit that parts can be removed from or they have replaced their roof vent with someting else and have some parts lying around that i could use.
Thanks again.
Sherman
Old 06-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Sherman, I was looking for something in a bin of RV parts today, and came across this :
The metal arm is 5-1/2" long. Is this what you need ?
:
Click image for larger version

Name:	For_Sherm_002.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	3480
Old 06-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #5

[quote]Sherman, I was looking for something in a bin of RV parts today, and came across this :
The metal arm is 5-1/2" long. Is this what you need ?
:
Attachment 3480

Penny,
Thanks very much for the reply to my ad.
It sure looks like it but I have never seen my original arm. I am not sure how it
would attach to the vent cover bar. Looks like the end piece is either missing or it should be turned about 90 degrees and bent to face upward. Let me know how much I will owe you and where to send you a check. I will try it and see if I can make it work.
Sherman Merchant
Old 07-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Hello Sherm, I am sorry I have taken so long to get back to you, my 36 year old son was in an accident, and just got out of the hospital.
Then, I had to find a crank handle, to make sure it worked. It has a square piece on the end, that should fit in the slot of your slide bar.
I have been trying to post pictures of each side, let me try again

Click image for larger version

Name:	For_Sherm_001.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	3757

This is off a regular 14" x 14" vent, I am pretty sure, so it may not be long enough.
Best wishes, Penny
Attached Thumbnails
For_Sherm_002.jpg  
Old 07-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Sherman,
The 14" x 14" roof vents are the industry standard size. Some come with white covers and others with clear or smoked. The fuss and expense of attempting to repair yours is probably not worth it. I've not purchased one in a while, but they were never very expensive as a complete unit. The plastic covers crack when they get old and brittle and are subjected to too much wind because it wasn't closed while driving. The hinges are different designs so it is wise to pick one which allows easy cover replacement.
The task is quite simple---unscrew the old one, and clean off the old sealant from the roof. Using the locations of the old screw holes, apply new sealant (butyl rubber seems to be the favorite). The new vent's screw holes will most likely not match the old locations so make sure the old ones are covered with the sealant. by-the-way, make sure the hinge is toward the vehicle front. After the new vent flange compresses the sealant and it is screwed down, make sure to seal the screw heads and ...you're done!
Most if not all RV repair and parts houses carry the vents as an in-stock item.
Have fun with the experience of making a worthwhile repair.!
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #8

<<<The 14" x 14" roof vents are the industry standard size. >>>

The trouble here, Kurt and Ann, is that Sherm's is not a standard size. I think it was orginally an obsolete size of escape hatch.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
<<<The 14" x 14" roof vents are the industry standard size. >>>

The trouble here, Kurt and Ann, is that Sherm's is not a standard size. I think it was orginally an obsolete size of escape hatch.
Hi Penny, Kurt&Ann,
This is a reply to all the great responses that I have had to date regarding my delemma with my obsolete espace hatch roof vent crank assembly. After many many calls to RV parts dearlers that could not help me I was about to give up. I called Elixir who has taken over a lot of production from the defunct Jensen that originally made the escape hatch. I was hooked up with a Roger Roderick and we talked at length and I think he has solved my problem. He found some part numbers in Elixir that should fit with a little modification. I then found a small RV dealer about 50 miles from me and they ordered the parts from Elixir. I will know the resulte in about two weeks.
Thanks again to all,
Sherman Merechant