IL SOLD: 1985 Scamp 16' $3800 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Illinois
SOLD: 1985 Scamp 16' $3800

SELLING: 1985 Scamp '16 AC under bed, bathroom
Many updates, great fundamentals, a little rough around the edges.

Included with the camper is an awning and poles (the kind not permanently attached to camper). I can't comment on the condition since we've always used an ez-up instead. Also included is external gray water tank, sewage hose, tabletop, poles to convert front bed to bunks, spare tire, deep cycle battery, fiberglass (previously cut out) and decorative awning lights.

The good:
90% new electrical system and components. Waterproof / bug proof entry from outside battery to inside compartment. 7 pole wire adapter connects to disconnect box for easy service / replacement of adapter. There is also a fuse block for the 7 pole adapters to keep faults between tow vehicle and trailer isolated. From there DC power goes to the battery (capacitor), and then back into the trailer. This was wired in such a way the capacitor is in the middle of the tow vehicle and trailer to help suppress transients. Once back in the trailer power goes to a marine grade power distribution fuse block. I tried to put one function per fuse to keep faults isolated / troubleshooting easy. Most of the wiring uses twisted pair and shrink wrap and I soldered most locations - tried to use very few wing nuts. There is also an AC / DC converter with a switch so that it may or may not automatically start charging the battery when AC power is connected. For AC power, there is a new 30A stainless steel marine grade bulkhead. From there the power goes to a new breaker box. One breaker goes to the AC components in the trailer. The other breaker is used for the AC unit. All of this is probably way overkill for an RV...but nice to have.

3 of the interior lights were replaced with new dual LED fixtures. The exterior porch light was replaced with LED and new fixture. A few incandescent fixtures remain, but could be removed - the LED's are more than enough light for any task. The clearance lights, license plate light, brake lights were also replaced with LED to avoid maintenance.

75% new plumbing. The plumbing was replaced with PEX and a new water tank was installed.

I had the Scamp dealer (Backus, MN) replace the axle with factory and purchased new tires / spare there as well. I've made a few trips from IL to WI since then with the trailer, but mostly local trips - probably less than 2k miles on the axle total.

The subfloor under half the trailer was replaced with marine grade plywood because of rot and reglassed to the walls and anchored to the frame.

I had a local shop weld (stainless) on BAL stabilizer jacks in the back. These fold nearly flush with the bottom of the camper and are mostly concealed. They crank down with a hand crank or power drill. This was one of my favorite additions and has worked well for us and eased setup / take down.

The carpet was replaced with vinyl planks due to the durability and waterproof factor. It's been a very durable / easy to clean covering for those rainy days.

I wasn't happy with the cooling power of the AC the PO installed, so I added another and stopped using the original. It could be removed but I haven't done this yet. The wife, corgi, and I prefer 62 degrees inside on humid 100F midwest summer days. This was literally achieved by putting a window AC under the bed, and creating a door in the back for the AC to slide out to get really good air flow. There is a flange around the AC when it slides out so bugs, rain, etc.. don't get into the camper and it has worked well for us, but it is an extra step in the setup. This also means we typically only use the bed as a bed, but if the AC were slid out I suppose you could still use the table, but foot room may be a little cramped.

The Bad:
Were I to keep the trailer longer, I would probably redo the seals on the small bathroom window and one of the side windows. I believe both of them have a small leak during heavy rains.

I would also take out the original AC (could sell it) and convert the space back to storage. There is a grill to the outside in this compartment which I would probably replace with fiberglass (I have the fiberglass panel from the PO to make the patch easy).

The 3 way refrigerator didn't work real well so it was removed, and the space was used for storage. The propane lines and heater were also removed. I never went back to finish the holes in the fiberglass nicely. I do still have the fridge and heater if there is interest in using again. The heater screws back in, but would require a propane source to be routed. An ice box can be purchased from scamp to fill the empty fridge space for around $100. The vents to outside for the fridge were fiberglassed/ gelcoat over to keep / moisture out. While the patch is functional and sufficient, it was a quick job and doesn't look real great from the outside.

Asking $3,800, located in Peoria, IL - hopefully the details above have been helpful - please don't hesitate to ask questions or PM.

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...2M&usp=sharing

I will add more pictures tomorrow when the sun comes out.

List of the updates...
Jamestown Distributors
FUR-F30INSSS - Marine Grade AC power inlet
FRN-F30P25SY - New AC power cable (there is another 25' which I bought local)
BLU-5026 - marine grade fuse block

Amazon.com
HELLA H84960091 6-Way Lateral Single Fuse Box - fuse block for 7 pole trailer harness
Valterra R8018 8" x 16" x 18" ABS Water Tank

LEDtrailerlights.com
Item# 1141 BA15s - 21 LEDs - Interior LED light bulbs
Item #: 921-2 - Dual LED interior fixtures
Item #: 23015 / S-68x - AMBER - LED clearance markers
Item #: 23015 / S-68x - RED - LED clearance markers

etrailer.com
Item# 3478503 - LED porch light fixture

fiberglasstraveltrailersrv.com
Item# 0000020188 - Circle LED brake lights

campingworld.com
5724 - BAL stabilizers fold flush

7 pole molded wire harness
battery box
automotive primary wire
7 pole wire harness quick disconnect box
new pex plumbing / fittings
new AC
new AC outlets / switches
new AC breaker box / breakers
new axle (2011)
new tires / wheels / spare (2011)
Allure vinyl planks (snap together version - no adhesive to melt in summer)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Name: jill
Trailer: in the market
New Mexico
Smile is it still available?? please let me know....thanks!!!

hi
i am interested in your scamp....would plan a trip to get her...please let me know if you still have it ! thanks!!! jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo2tokyo View Post
SELLING: 1985 Scamp '16 AC under bed, bathroom
Many updates, great fundamentals, a little rough around the edges.

Included with the camper is an awning and poles (the kind not permanently attached to camper). I can't comment on the condition since we've always used an ez-up instead. Also included is external gray water tank, sewage hose, tabletop, poles to convert front bed to bunks, spare tire, deep cycle battery, fiberglass (previously cut out) and decorative awning lights.

The good:
90% new electrical system and components. Waterproof / bug proof entry from outside battery to inside compartment. 7 pole wire adapter connects to disconnect box for easy service / replacement of adapter. There is also a fuse block for the 7 pole adapters to keep faults between tow vehicle and trailer isolated. From there DC power goes to the battery (capacitor), and then back into the trailer. This was wired in such a way the capacitor is in the middle of the tow vehicle and trailer to help suppress transients. Once back in the trailer power goes to a marine grade power distribution fuse block. I tried to put one function per fuse to keep faults isolated / troubleshooting easy. Most of the wiring uses twisted pair and shrink wrap and I soldered most locations - tried to use very few wing nuts. There is also an AC / DC converter with a switch so that it may or may not automatically start charging the battery when AC power is connected. For AC power, there is a new 30A stainless steel marine grade bulkhead. From there the power goes to a new breaker box. One breaker goes to the AC components in the trailer. The other breaker is used for the AC unit. All of this is probably way overkill for an RV...but nice to have.

3 of the interior lights were replaced with new dual LED fixtures. The exterior porch light was replaced with LED and new fixture. A few incandescent fixtures remain, but could be removed - the LED's are more than enough light for any task. The clearance lights, license plate light, brake lights were also replaced with LED to avoid maintenance.

75% new plumbing. The plumbing was replaced with PEX and a new water tank was installed.

I had the Scamp dealer (Backus, MN) replace the axle with factory and purchased new tires / spare there as well. I've made a few trips from IL to WI since then with the trailer, but mostly local trips - probably less than 2k miles on the axle total.

The subfloor under half the trailer was replaced with marine grade plywood because of rot and reglassed to the walls and anchored to the frame.

I had a local shop weld (stainless) on BAL stabilizer jacks in the back. These fold nearly flush with the bottom of the camper and are mostly concealed. They crank down with a hand crank or power drill. This was one of my favorite additions and has worked well for us and eased setup / take down.

The carpet was replaced with vinyl planks due to the durability and waterproof factor. It's been a very durable / easy to clean covering for those rainy days.

I wasn't happy with the cooling power of the AC the PO installed, so I added another and stopped using the original. It could be removed but I haven't done this yet. The wife, corgi, and I prefer 62 degrees inside on humid 100F midwest summer days. This was literally achieved by putting a window AC under the bed, and creating a door in the back for the AC to slide out to get really good air flow. There is a flange around the AC when it slides out so bugs, rain, etc.. don't get into the camper and it has worked well for us, but it is an extra step in the setup. This also means we typically only use the bed as a bed, but if the AC were slid out I suppose you could still use the table, but foot room may be a little cramped.

The Bad:
Were I to keep the trailer longer, I would probably redo the seals on the small bathroom window and one of the side windows. I believe both of them have a small leak during heavy rains.

I would also take out the original AC (could sell it) and convert the space back to storage. There is a grill to the outside in this compartment which I would probably replace with fiberglass (I have the fiberglass panel from the PO to make the patch easy).

The 3 way refrigerator didn't work real well so it was removed, and the space was used for storage. The propane lines and heater were also removed. I never went back to finish the holes in the fiberglass nicely. I do still have the fridge and heater if there is interest in using again. The heater screws back in, but would require a propane source to be routed. An ice box can be purchased from scamp to fill the empty fridge space for around $100. The vents to outside for the fridge were fiberglassed/ gelcoat over to keep / moisture out. While the patch is functional and sufficient, it was a quick job and doesn't look real great from the outside.

Asking $3,800, located in Peoria, IL - hopefully the details above have been helpful - please don't hesitate to ask questions or PM.

I will add more pictures tomorrow when the sun comes out.

List of the updates...
Jamestown Distributors
FUR-F30INSSS - Marine Grade AC power inlet
FRN-F30P25SY - New AC power cable (there is another 25' which I bought local)
BLU-5026 - marine grade fuse block

Amazon.com
HELLA H84960091 6-Way Lateral Single Fuse Box - fuse block for 7 pole trailer harness
Valterra R8018 8" x 16" x 18" ABS Water Tank

LEDtrailerlights.com
Item# 1141 BA15s - 21 LEDs - Interior LED light bulbs
Item #: 921-2 - Dual LED interior fixtures
Item #: 23015 / S-68x - AMBER - LED clearance markers
Item #: 23015 / S-68x - RED - LED clearance markers

etrailer.com
Item# 3478503 - LED porch light fixture

fiberglasstraveltrailersrv.com
Item# 0000020188 - Circle LED brake lights

campingworld.com
5724 - BAL stabilizers fold flush

7 pole molded wire harness
battery box
automotive primary wire
7 pole wire harness quick disconnect box
new pex plumbing / fittings
new AC
new AC outlets / switches
new AC breaker box / breakers
new axle (2011)
new tires / wheels / spare (2011)
Allure vinyl planks (snap together version - no adhesive to melt in summer)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #3

New Mexico
ps:
i am new to this site. so please let me know by phone if possible:

thanks again...
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #4

Illinois
Private Message sent.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill in NM View Post
ps:
i am new to this site. so please let me know by phone if possible:

thanks again...
Jil best if you go back and edit your post and remove your phone number. Rather than posting your phone number just click on the original posters name and send them a private message with your phone number. If the edit function is no longer available to you then send a Moderator a PM asking them to remove your number from the post.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Any pictures? I'm interested in a 16ft to replace 13ft. Easier to sell DW on it if she can see it.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #7

Illinois
Link to pictures in the description

Roger, thanks for looking. There's a link to a google album in the description. I plan to go back and take better pictures (not cell phone quality) in a few days.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

New Mexico
pics are good!

ok, thanks!
that will be helpful....

and talking will be too.

have a great day

thanks for getting back to me.

jill
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jil best if you go back and edit your post and remove your phone number. Rather than posting your phone number just click on the original posters name and send them a private message with your phone number. If the edit function is no longer available to you then send a Moderator a PM asking them to remove your number from the post.
The number needs to be edited out of your quote, too...
Old 07-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Need to drink more coffee or something. Totally missed the picture link. Very complete set I must say.

I also removed the phone number since it appears contact has been made. Always better to use a PM so the spam bots don't scan your phone or email from the post.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #11

New Mexico
Smile thanks!

hi
appreciate your removing my number...duh!

well, i am learning about the site.

can't wait to get a trailer......

jill
Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #12

Illinois
More pictures, more stuff, lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo2tokyo View Post

I've received many PM, but no visits yet. I'd like to help with that by lowering the asking price to $3,500 and including more stuff in the price. There are new pictures (including accessories) in the original link.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #13

New Mexico
hi
thanks for the note....i am still interested.

i have to figure out when i can get out to the midwest from NM....

will be in touch

jill
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #14

Name: Robyn
Trailer: Shopping
Illinois
I am near Springfield and would link to come see your camper tomorrow if possible? Hope you still have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #15

Illinois
FYI, this RV has been sold.

Tags
scamp