UT SOLD 72 Compact Jr - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

Name: Brent
Trailer: Compact Jr
Utah
SOLD 72 Compact Jr

Moderator's note: per post #18 (after threads merged), this trailer is currently listed at $2700 OBO

After 25+ years of being in the family, and about 4 years of not being used, it looks like I need to consider the possibility of putting our Compact Jr. on the market.

What is a fair market value range?

Everything worked when we put it away about 4 years ago.

Thanks for your input and advice.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0350.jpg   DSC_0351.jpg  

DSC_0352.jpg   DSC_0354.jpg  

DSC_0361.jpg   DSC_0362.jpg  

DSC_0363.jpg   DSC_0364.jpg  

Old 09-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It's really hard to know- you can look for comps in your area but you probably won't find a lot. I think $3500-$4000 would be a reasonable starting place if everything is ready to go- good tires, etc. Then deduct for anything a buyer would need to fix soon due to need for maintenance or wear and tear, such as worn cushions, curtains, top, tires, etc. One that has been redone might go for more (or less!) You can browse the expired listings here and see what other people have been asking. I've seen as low as $600 (years ago!) and as high as $10,000 (that was a complete redone and beefed up Campster.) Though the "wow" factor on this one due to the yellow might let you boost the price a bit- at least try for more.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #3

Utah
Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughtful response. You are right...I've been looking and I don't expect to find a comparable in my area.

It sounds like I should go through the systems again so I can be sure of what works and what doesn't...then work from there.

Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
FWIW. Part of the price will depend on where it is. Anything in or near California can ask a much higher price.
We gave $3K for a recently painted Compact II five or six years ago here

And it needed some interior work

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

Name: Skip
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Where is the RV located?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
I see you live in Utah. I bought a '72 Compact Jr out that way in June, and I paid $1875. My Jr looked pretty much the same as yours on the inside with a few exceptions. The fridge was missing, and the fabric around the pop-top was missing. It was in towable condition with good tires and good bearings. I simply hooked it up and pulled it 1200 miles home as-is. The outside of mine is white, and it's not as shiny as yours, but overall I'd say the general condition was very comparable. Yours should be worth a bit more than mine because it's prettier on the outside, and it has the poptop and fridge present.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Positives I see include (1) exterior in good condition, (2) boot in good shape, (3) appliances that many Compact Jrs. lack (stove with oven, 3-way fridge, heater?), (4) interior mostly original and intact, (5) windows and door appear original and in good shape.

Possible negatives include (1) location away from major urban areas on the coasts, (2) season- prices are typically lower in the fall and winter, (3) the leopard fur wall covering is… well… unique... (Is there anything under it?).

Unknowns include the condition of the appliances, plumbing. electrical, subfloor, window seals, and chassis/tires. The floor is a biggie.

Going out on a limb here, but if everything checks out and the floor is solid I think it could go for $4000-5000.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
If that is the original gelcoat finish and not paint and the photos aren't lying I would ask $4750 and not take less than $4,250.

it is looks very nice.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:55 AM   #9

Utah
Thanks All

I'm going to test all the systems this week and then get off center get serious about selling it.

I appreciate the details that everyone have referenced, as it will give me more details to provide.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: compact jr
New York
I purchased my snazzy yellow/green compact jr about 5 years ago for $3200. Has an ice box, and a stove but it did not work well, very poor gas flow. SO I just dont use it and unhooked the gas. I had to fix the pop top, and redo the cushion covers and curtains. The bearrings had just been repacked and it did have a slow roof leak from the latching hardware, easy fix. Hope that helps!
@Stout_trout- does that have two stoves?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #11

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddar View Post
@Stout_trout- does that have two stoves?
Take a second look and you'll see it's a reflection in the mirror.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Assuming everything works and floor is solid, $3500 to move fast, $4500 fair market value.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Is that genuine imitation leopard print wall covering? That is worth a least another $500 by itself!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #14

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
vents

I see an exterior vent on the lower left side. Is that for the stove or oven or both? What about the larger vent on the upper right side; what is that one for?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #15

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
I see an exterior vent on the lower left side. Is that for the stove or oven or both? What about the larger vent on the upper right side; what is that one for?
In my '72, the vent on the driver's side was for the propane heater, and the vent on the passenger side was for the propane refrigerator. If you look at the photos, you can clearly see the heater below the stove on the left, and the propane refrigerator on the right.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
. . . you can clearly see the heater below the stove on the left, and the propane refrigerator on the right.
Well sure enough. Thanks. I have a lot to learn.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #17

Utah
Updated info and List Price

I had to deal with a job change and ensuing chaos. Sorry for the absence.

Additional pictures were requested of the stove area. (Note that there are two facets. the silver is for connected water and the tan-based facet is from the contained water system):

I went through the systems and this is my report:
-Furnace works without problem
-Stove top works without problem
-Oven pilot lights with not problem but the rest of the burner didn't light. I'm confident that it just needs to be cleaned,
-Fridge - Electric worked no problem. Auto Pilot light didn't start, again, I'm assuming it's because it needs to be cleaned.
- Water Pump - works without problem
(In general the propane systems, electrical, and water is working...as I expected)

General condition report:
- veneer is showing age (as you can probably see in the pictures)
- basic components are showing age (as you can see in the pictures)
- Tires were new 5-6 years ago and bearings were packed then...hasn't been used since. (there is no spare)
- The bottom of the windows have always had holes in the frame (I've never understood why but they are definitely deliberate) We had some heavy rain recently and I was reminded that water can come through them...we always just plugged them or it will get cushions wet (not a big deal).
- Frame needs some paint
- Roof - the vent had aged and was allowing water through so I replaced it this summer. No other problems with the room.
- Leopard print fur...a little less swanky than it was back in the day but definitely conjures memories of the era! Sadly, the raining beads are long gone.

I want to have this sold before weather sets in, so I've become motivated to sell quickly I am listing at $3000. I am willing to tow it as far as St. George UT for an additional $600 (which includes a trip to the shop for an inspection of tires/bearings and work if necessary) for a serious buyer that would like to pick it up in that area and have confidence of it's road worthiness for the trip home.

It would make me so happy to know that "cheetah" ends up in a happy home where she will get the lovin' she deserves!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0385.jpg   DSC_0384.jpg  

DSC_0386.jpg   DSC_0387.jpg  

Old 10-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #18

Utah
72 Compact JR $2,700 OBO

Hi,
I'm sorry but I don't know how to edit a previous post so I'm posting a new one and linking to the old.

My Compact Jr is currently listed at $2,700 OBO. It is located near Salt Lake City.

Lots of pictures and info are found here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-jr-76605.html

Serious buyers can call or text
801-430-153two

Thanks
Old 10-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #19

Name: Cheryl O
Trailer: Shasta
Arizona
leopard skin

Hi,
Is the leopard skin paint or carpet or what?
Thanks,
Cheryl
Old 10-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #20

Utah
It's like a faux fur...so maybe consider it a very thin carpet-like material.