Wanted: Cover for Bigfoot 17.5' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Name: Mel
Trailer: N/A
Tennessee
Wanted: Cover for Bigfoot 17.5'

Hello all. As winter approaches we're planning to cover our new-to-us Bigfoot 17.5' trailer. I was impressed with the quality and recommendations for having one made by CalMark, but the price tag gives me pause, so I'm looking at other options. If anyone has a cover, any brand, in good shape for this size Bigfoot that they would like to sell, please reply here or PM me. Or if any Bigfoot owners want to chime in on covers that have worked for them, please do! Thanks!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
When I bought my 1994 Bigfoot, it came with a new Adco cover designed to fit trailers 15-18' in length. I haven't yet tried it out but I imagine it will be much less of close fit than a custom cover would be and, therefore, much more subject to wind damage.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

Tennessee
Robert,
Good point about the importance of close fit. I would be interested to hear how your Adco cover does if you decide to put it on. That is one of the brands I'm considering. Anyone else have an Adco or another cover they like for their Bigfoot?
Old 11-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #4

Name: Marcia
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Question Any luck with cover?

I am wondering if you located an affordable cover? I am also interested in covering my 17.5 ft bigfoot. Thx
Old 11-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #5

Tennessee
Marcia,
Not yet. As you have probably discovered, most generic covers are designed for trailers with a relatively flat front. Since the Bigfoot has the attached nose cone, we would have to buy a longer cover to accommodate it, but then we would end up with all sorts of extra material above it, in front of the rock guard. That doesn't seem ideal. We may end up biting the bullet and having one custom made by CalMark, but I really don't want to do that if it can be helped. Please share if you find a good option. I haven't heard much from other Bigfoot owners. I'll try to remember to post here when we finally choose one too.
Melissa
Old 11-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa MF View Post
Marcia,
Not yet. As you have probably discovered, most generic covers are designed for trailers with a relatively flat front. Since the Bigfoot has the attached nose cone, we would have to buy a longer cover to accommodate it, but then we would end up with all sorts of extra material above it, in front of the rock guard. That doesn't seem ideal. Melissa
Nothing that a little sewing wouldn't fix . I bought a nice cover for my dune buggy and custom tailored it to fit like a glove. It's not hard but does entail a lot of on/off for marking and checking fit. Do the body first, then work the boot.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:31 AM   #7

Name: Marcia
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Quote:
Marcia,
Not yet. As you have probably discovered, most generic covers are designed for trailers with a relatively flat front. Since the Bigfoot has the attached nose cone, we would have to buy a longer cover to accommodate it, but then we would end up with all sorts of extra material above it, in front of the rock guard. That doesn't seem ideal. We may end up biting the bullet and having one custom made by CalMark, but I really don't want to do that if it can be helped. Please share if you find a good option. I haven't heard much from other Bigfoot owners. I'll try to remember to post here when we finally choose one too.
Melissa
Thanks Melissa. How much are the CalMark's now?
Old 11-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #8

Tennessee
Dave,
You're right about the possibility of modifying a generic cover, and we might end up going that route. I'm pretty handy with the sewing machine, so we could make it work.

Marcia,
CalMark quoted me $648 plus shipping for a cover. Of course, that includes many benefits over a generic cover, including the Sunbrella fabric, custom fit, customer service, and 6 year warranty. I think it would be worth it if you live in an area with high wind or heavy sun. We get some extremes here in Tennessee but it's not the norm.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Dave,
You're right about the possibility of modifying a generic cover, and we might end up going that route. I'm pretty handy with the sewing machine, so we could make it work.
CalMark quoted me $648 plus shipping for a cover. Of course, that includes many benefits over a generic cover, including the Sunbrella fabric, custom fit, customer service, and 6 year warranty. I think it would be worth it if you live in an area with high wind or heavy sun. We get some extremes here in Tennessee but it's not the norm.
Just a few thoughts on fitted covers to toss out. I don't know anyone personally that uses one on a TT but many that use them for vehicles stored in a garage. Only one of my buds had one on his Vet that he parked outside. Took about 3 months of wind and chaffing to take the high $ paint job off corners/high spots. I'm in the desert, the dust and high winds I get would never work with that type of cover. In your location, you may not have that to deal with. IMHO, a metal or wooden "trailerport" is the best way to go if you've got the room and no HOA to deal with. Certainly more money than the CalMark but the UV won't bother it at all .
Old 11-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Just covered my Casita 17ft yesterday, and none too soon, we got 3 inches of snow last night.
I used a car cover made by Budget, I found at a Goodwill, for $10. The box said it was a #5 and would cover cars from 17 to 21 feet.
It was built like a huge shower cap with a rubber elastic sewn in the edge.
Wife and I stretched it over the whole thing and it almost reached the belly band on sided but came down to bumper in front and back.
We then bought tarp clips and clipped it in 3 locations along each side and ran rope under the trailer to hold it in place and kinds like made hospital corners in sheets to again place clips in the back to tie to bumper.
We cover mostly, so we will not scratch the fiberglass when we use a plastic snow rake to get the snow off roof if it get up to a foot of snow...usually 4 or 5 times over the winter.
Been covering the Boler for years with this method and we'll see how it works on the Casita.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #11

Tennessee
Bigfoot Cover Update

We ordered a cover for the Bigfoot 17.5'.

We tried the PermaPro 15'-18' model from Classic Accessories. Unfortunately, it was too big for this trailer, so we're going to have to send it back. HOWEVER, I was very impressed with the fabric, which is ripstop, almost like tent fabric, not like that Tyvek stuff that shreds. This material is durable and sheds water like a champ. The straps and buckles seem well-positioned. It came which patches to prevent or fix wear spots. Their customer service department was friendly. All that to say, I wanted this cover to work so badly because I really like it. So, if you have a longer trailer, definitely give it a try. If you have a shorter trailer like a Scamp or Casita, Classic Accessories makes two sizes of the same cover specifically fitted to small fiberglass trailers, so you're in luck too. If you have a mid-sized trailer like me, the search for a well-made, long-lasting cover continues.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Boler 1700 cover

We bought the ELITEMOTORONLINE ShieldAll cover on ebay for our Boler 1700. It is listed on ebay as specific to the Boler 1700, but also available for the Bigfoot 17 (search ebay). The Boler 1700 is 8 feet wide, and the body about 15 feet long. Anyhow we bought the cover 26 months ago and have had it on the camper continuously since then. We bought the cover with the intention of using it until we get ALL of the leaks fixed (its stored outside), and we hope to wrap up the leak repairs this spring. The cover has held up pretty well, lately developed some rips which DW has repaired. It may last us one more year, and hopefully at that point, the camper will be watertight. We will probably buy another cover at that point, either same brand or look for a better one.

As far as fit, the cover is a pretty loose fit all around. It has elastic along the bottom, both in the front and back. Also the three under-straps allow the cover to be snugged tight.

Tags
bigfoot