Wanted: Narrow propane furnace (from Boler) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hello all,

I'm looking for one of the "old fashioned" gravity furnaces (no electricity or fan used) that came in some Bolers. These are narrower and taller than some others, and so they fit well in one of the door cutouts under the sink.

Does anyone have one for sale, or perhaps one that they aren't using or that they've removed and would consider selling?

For reference, here are photos of a couple of them (in other people's Bolers). I think the grilles were usually brown as they came stock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boler_furnace.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	16945

Name:	boler_lime_kitchen.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	16944

(To contact me you can reply here in the thread, or send a Private Message or e-mail to me by clicking on my name in the upper left.)

Thank you <-----Need furnace so that I can remove this winter hat!

Raya
Old 11-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1970 Boler

Raya, they are a tough item to find. It took me a couple of years of hard loking and I finally got one for free.....Thanks to Cory in Ontario

They are skinny little guys that weigh very little and are very quiet. They do rob one of a lot of space in that lower cabinet unfortunately.

I have not yet installed mine and plan to have the grate powder coated prior to the install (its rusty and done with an old paint).

Good Luck
Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
They are skinny little guys that weigh very little and are very quiet. They do rob one of a lot of space in that lower cabinet unfortunately.

Good luck.
Thanks, Kurt. I'm hoping that someone will have decided that the storage space gained, or not fooling with it was worth removing it. I could see doing that if one either did not need the heat or used a cube heater or such.

I just need one wee skinny little furnace

R.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #4

I found a better photo of what I'm looking for (in Cyndi H's Boler - thank you Cyndi - I didn't realize that the first shot I had that just showed part of the furnace is probably your trailer too):

Name:	furnace_good.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	16960

Raya

PS: Wow, I love those yellow Bolers - wish I'd see one of THOSE for sale!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #5

I'm posting in this topic again because I now know which model furnace it is I'm looking for. It's a Suburban GT6-3A.

How do I know this? Because I found one.... only to realize that the burner assembly had been removed and pitched by the previous owner.

So I would still love to find one of these furnaces for sale. Or, now, to find one for "parts" or even just a lone burner assembly.

I know that sometimes people remove these for one reason or another. I'm hoping there's one gathering dust somewhere...

Raya
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I'm posting in this topic again because I now know which model furnace it is I'm looking for. It's a Suburban GT6-3A.

Raya
Raya,

Try this site: http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/

They are a great salvage yard and could probably send you the parts you need. Their prices are not cheap but they do negotiate and guarantee for 90 days. I bought a used water heater and range/furnace.

There is someone there (Paul) from 6AM Pacific. Call and ask.

They are located in Sacramento, CA.

Luck

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #7

Thanks, Tom, I will check them out.

Also, in my web research looking for parts and info, I have found that another model of furnace is also "skinny" like the Suburban. So I'd like to add them to my "Wanted!" list:

Wagon Master #5000-FM
Wagon Master #5000-FA

Although I'm thinking that the real Wagon Masters of yore didn't have propane furnaces

Surely there is one furnace out there that someone is no longer using? (Of course for that very reason that person may not be sitting around reading "furnace" threads...)

Raya
Old 05-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #8

Trailer: Eco Featherlite 1970 (Circa)
Registry
Raya,
Last year I purchased a new control unit from Centennial RV in Grand Junction, Co. for perhaps the very same unit you need. The original part # of my Suburban was a S6-T3-A, if yours is also a S6-T3-S, the parts are/may be interchangeable. They had to order this part from somewhere in Indiana, new not used. Cost around 125.00 w/shipping. I did not want to order a new replacement heater unit w/12v. fan. These fan-less heaters are original in these older trailers and are the way to go, in fact I generally just light the pilot on cool nights and I'm good! Call and ask for Craig at 1-800-748-1210, they were very helpful. Good luck. Jeff I.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #9

Jeff,

Thank you so much for that information I will double check the model number of my "shell" and give Craig a call. I think I may need the control unit and the burner, but maybe they can source both. One way to find out

[Edited to say that I double-checked and mine is a GT6-3A; but I will still try the place you suggested.]

I definitely want to stick with the gravity type furnace, which is why I've been hunting for one. 1) No electrical power needed; and 2) I'm a light sleeper and a fan going on and off would wake me up each time.

Maybe I can make the hollow shell I bought into a real furnace

Raya

Tags
boler, furnace, propane