Wanted: Tail Light Lens/Covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
My "new" 1986 (actually, I believe it is a 1985) U-Haul VT16 was delivered today (thanks to my oldest nephew). But the right-hand tail light lens cover had gotten broken and fell off somewhere on his ~300 mile trek across Nebraska.

I need at least the one replacement but they other side has cracks in it so I would like a full set of replacements if possible. I know I can 'modify' and use a whole new set up but I would like to keep the unit as original as possible.

Thanks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ab13_1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	10276
Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I need at least the one replacement but they other side has cracks in it so I would like a full set of replacements if possible. I know I can 'modify' and use a whole new set up but I would like to keep the unit as original as possible.
The last I heard, those U-Haul tail lights were irreplaceable.

I did a quick internet search and found http://www.uhaulcamper.com. In that site I found The U-Haul Parts Manual. Look on pages 6 of 62, and 7 of 62 to identify what you need.

Maybe if you register on that site, they'll tell you if you can still get the tail lights. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You have a next to no chance of finding a direct replacement tail light lens for your U-Haul Trailer. Lots of people before you have looked with no success. Doesn't mean there aren't any, I just would't count on it. Instead, perhaps it's time to upgrade to LEDs or a different style. There's a nearly defunct forum for U-Haul Trailers on the web, and there's this topic for you to view: Fiberglass Made Easy - Tail Light Conversion

Someone has mentioned a 1980s Chevy Van (????) used a tail light that was similar, but I'm just guessing at that information.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Someone has mentioned a 1980s Chevy Van (????) used a tail light that was similar, but I'm just guessing at that information.

I think it was actually the '70s and '80s Silverado Pickup truck and Suburban.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
I think it was actually the '70s and '80s Silverado Pickup truck and Suburban.
I was lucky to remember it was a GM product
Old 09-29-2007, 05:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We put LED lights on our VT. It still has the original lens covers that are kind of foggy, but when I followed the trailer shortly after we bought it, I was concerned about how difficult it was to see the turn signals, so the hubby replaced the lights with LED. It really helped see the signal better but left the original lights there.

Now you will have to come to Lanesboro or one of the Midwest meets next year. We can compare our VTs. Ours is the one in the album. We made a few mods; some were made before we got it, but for the most part, it is original. We added blue accents, as we hope to take it to VW shows with our VW pickup some day.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1233.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #7

Found by searching, for the 1970-1980 Suburban tail light lenses. The only way to know if they'll fit is maybe to find one in a wrecking yard??? It doesn't have the amber portion however.
Shopping.com
Old 09-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #8

[quote]My "new" 1986 (actually, I believe it is a 1985) U-Haul VT16 was delivered today (thanks to my oldest nephew). But the right-hand tail light lens cover had gotten broken and fell off somewhere on his ~300 mile trek across Nebraska.

Thanks.
Attachment 10276

You have all been very helpful - and, yes, I was pretty doubtful about finding a direct replacement. But, hey, never hurts to ask. So I am figuring on finding a suitable "upgrade" that involves LED's. I have found two references/resources by searching the archives of this and one other forum and both resources have a huge number of possibilities. I just have to get busy and figure it out.

As for attending a mid-west 'get together' - I would LOVE to. My kids are grown & gone and I've been working at the same place so long that I get way more vacation time than I ever use in a year. Sounds like a great time. I will try to keep an eye on the calendar of events and make plans accordingly.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Wayne:

We crash the Scamp Camps too. Last spring, we went to the Scamp Camp at Nauvoo, IL. Nice folks, many of whom are on this forum too. They are having the Nauvoo camp in Nebraska next year at Minden. You might want to watch their forum too. They are always welcoming. I practically had to throw a couple of them off our camp site at Nauvoo, so we could finish setting up. They wanted to see how the VT looked inside and how things worked on it. Then a couple of them rescued the hubby on the ride home, as I went west for some schooling. The VT blew a tire and the spare did not fit, and then the Eurovan lost its shifting ability.

BTW, UHaul still sells tires to fit and the tire thingy that holds all the ball bearings, but they do not sell the lights. I checked one of their trailers when we broke down in Wyoming while on vacation. The lights don't have the UHaul sign on them like they do on the trailers. They also require dealers to order the parts now, so if you think you need these parts, find a friendly UHaul dealer and order them ahead of time. They will have to order them as if they were being ordered for the dealership. Then you buy them from the dealership. Dealerships used to be able to keep parts on hand but not any more.

CindyL
Old 09-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Wayne:

We crash the Scamp Camps too. Last spring, we went to the Scamp Camp at Nauvoo, IL. Nice folks, many of whom are on this forum too. They are having the Nauvoo camp in Nebraska next year at Minden. You might want to watch their forum too. They are always welcoming. I practically had to throw a couple of them off our camp site at Nauvoo, so we could finish setting up. They wanted to see how the VT looked inside and how things worked on it. Then a couple of them rescued the hubby on the ride home, as I went west for some schooling. The VT blew a tire and the spare did not fit, and then the Eurovan lost its shifting ability.

BTW, UHaul still sells tires to fit and the tire thingy that holds all the ball bearings, but they do not sell the lights. I checked one of their trailers when we broke down in Wyoming while on vacation. The lights don't have the UHaul sign on them like they do on the trailers. They also require dealers to order the parts now, so if you think you need these parts, find a friendly UHaul dealer and order them ahead of time. They will have to order them as if they were being ordered for the dealership. Then you buy them from the dealership. Dealerships used to be able to keep parts on hand but not any more.
CindyL
Thanks for the info. Yes, I need to make arrangements for a spare tire/wheel as soon as possible as mine didn't include one - and I know how luck runs.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the deal at Minden. That's only about 3 to 3½ hours away and sounds like a good time.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
[quote]My "new" 1986 (actually, I believe it is a 1985) U-Haul VT16 was delivered today (thanks to my oldest nephew). But the right-hand tail light lens cover had gotten broken and fell off somewhere on his ~300 mile trek across Nebraska.

Thanks.
Attachment 10276

You might give this site a try http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com
Good luck
Andy
Old 10-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #12

Quote:
You might give this site a try http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com
Good luck
Andy

Oh, really great, Andy... I found about a hundred things on there I WANT. But, alas, no tail light lens cover for a U-Haul.

Just kidding - thanks for the link. They do have a bunch of great stuff and I bookmarked them for a return visit. I also sent them a message about what I am looking for (the lens/cover) so we'll see what they might come up with. Again, I'm not holding out much hope that they will find anything but it never hurts to ask.

Keep the suggestions coming - even if I don't succeed on the tail light quest - I just keep getting super suggestions and great information from all the folks in this forum.

WC
Old 10-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Don't ever doubt the power of Ebay. Al found a brand new set of lenses on there a few months ago. PERFECT condition. Apparently years ago, the guy owned an 84 uhaul, wisely bought the lenses that were available at the time, and sometime later the camper caught on fire! So, all these years later, he listed them on ebay!! We bought them as insurance! Because if something did happen to the lenses Al was going to have to reconfigure everything to fit new lenses. Just keep checking ebay, you NEVER know!! Good Luck!

Tags
lighting, lights, tail lights