wanted: upper cabinets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Hey there! We are trying to figure out how to add more storage to our 83 scamp and I thought I'd give this a shot... does anyone have spare or unwanted upper cabinets that will work inside our scamp? We want to add them in front, back and sides above the dinette.We were going to try to build some out of wood, but I wanted to see if I could track down some used fiberglass ones before we go through the trouble and expense of building, as neither one of us are experts at making cabinets.
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
April,

I'm in the exact same situation (in line behind you though ) I'm going to call Scamp today just to see how much new front and back overhead cabinets are, whether they would fit, and what shipping would run. I'll ask about Texas too and let you know what I find out.

I'm also considering fabricating something, but like you I'm checking options.

Raya
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Cabinets in Wisconsin
Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #4

Wink

That is awesome Dan!! If it all works out, that should take care of the sides over the dinette...

We are still on the look out for the front/back upper cabinets so if anyone else has a lead on those, we cirtainly would appreciate it.

I will be sure to make a dontation to this forum (again) as I just sent one in after we found the camper!! I love this website!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

That's funny, I'm IN Wisconsin right now on my way home. (Not that I would horn in front of April -- but April if you're not interested let me know because then I would contact the people who have them.)

April, I called Scamp yesterday about the cabinets. They are $148 each. That's "finished" with the Trim-Lok, doors, etc. and ready to install . Unfortunately, they have to ship by truck freight $20 crating fee for each one, and then "maybe $200 shipping." (Of course one could check further into that part.)

I was only a couple hours from the Scamp factory, so I was thinking "Gee, I'll just go pick two up for my camper, and maybe there's a way to get two for April and relay them to Texas..." But the fellow said the the cabinets for the older models are a slightly different shape and they don't keep them ready-made on hand -- you have to request them in advance. Now maybe if someone was picking up a new Scamp and heading someone's way...

I also asked about a front window bug-shield. Those come in a few sizes, include the hardware, and are about $60 w/~$20 shipping.

I may end up making some U-shaped open shelves with lips. Doors would be nice for keeping things in; OTOH open "U"s would have a lot of space and be lighter and easier to make. You could either move stuff down to the bed for towing (lowering weight), or make cargo netting to fit over them maybe?

Better hit the road...

Raya
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Course there's always Scamp. You might try Paul Neumeister... he makes upper cabinets for Bolers. Contact him and see if they'll work in your Scamp.
Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs and Parts
Old 10-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #7

Paul looks like a good resource - thanks, Donna . I wonder how the shipping would be on those cabinet moldings. Those sure would be slick!

I should mention that the fellow at Scamp did not know if the older-style upper cabinests they sell would fit a Boler (without mods).

Also, in thinking back, I do not know for sure that the Scamp cabinets would include the doors. The guy said "finished and ready to install" but I did not ask specifically about the doors (I was thinking more about the edges and modifying), and they may not be included.

Rachel
Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #8

Thanks for contacting Scamp Raya... I had a feeling they would be pricy. We are a bit more confident in building the front/back cabinets than we are about trying to build the sides, because they are basicly an L shape which is much easier to fabricate than the curved side cabinets. I have contacted Dan about getting the sides from him, he is working on a shipping quote for us. I am sure it will be worth what ever the shipping cost to get them, and save the headaches of trying to build them from scratch.

This is still a fairly new thread, so hang in there Raya...something else is bound to turn up.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I can atest to Pauls work as my brother had him install front& back overhead cabinets in his '72 Boler. They fit purrfectly!!!
You should see Pauls 1650 Square Boler... what a stunner!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Hey there! We are trying to figure out how to add more storage to our 83 scamp and I thought I'd give this a shot... does anyone have spare or unwanted upper cabinets that will work inside our scamp? We want to add them in front, back and sides above the dinette.We were going to try to build some out of wood, but I wanted to see if I could track down some used fiberglass ones before we go through the trouble and expense of building, as neither one of us are experts at making cabinets.
Thanks!
This is what I did--- my friend and I built them. End result: no more suitcases or bags--plus added space for the tater chip bags, hats, etc that was always on the couch. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
over_bed_cabinents__Small_.JPG   front_shelf__Small_.JPG  

Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
This is what I did---
Wow, those look great! Can you tell a bit more about how they're fitted, attached, etc. (I can see the metal braces on the front of the forward one, but the rest...?)

Really nice.

Raya
Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #12

Talking

Quote:
Wow, those look great! Can you tell a bit more about how they're fitted, attached, etc. (I can see the metal braces on the front of the forward one, but the rest...?)

Really nice.

Raya
Trial and error and a lot of cardboard to get the pattern to conform to the Scamp contours.. Then, to fasten, on a Scamp, the curtains are pop-riveted thru the body above the windows- used those holes to hold "L" brackets which support the bottoms. (the curtains were re-attached to the bottom of cabinets) The fronts were made then, a dado cut in them to hold bottoms, then "L" brackets again with a new hole drilled thru the roof to hold them up. A little butyl tape and SS stove bolts to secure them-- no leaks yet after a couple years. Basically the same for the front shelf, used the curtain rod holes, then blew some more holes in the roof for the polished aluminum straps I made. Larry
Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Quote:
Hi: All... I can atest to Pauls work as my brother had him install front& back overhead cabinets in his '72 Boler. They fit purrfectly!!!
You should see Pauls 1650 Square Boler... what a stunner!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

What does Paul charge for one of the roof mounted caninets? I tried contacting him a while backwith no success and would like one for my rig as well
Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Larry, those are awesome!

I'm looking at doing the same thing soon, and was planning on doing L brackets just as you did. Glad to see it works well.

Could you possibly post a photo of the inside structure of the cabinets? I would love to see how they are built/reinforced.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #15

Talking

Quote:
Larry, those are awesome!

I'm looking at doing the same thing soon, and was planning on doing L brackets just as you did. Glad to see it works well.

Could you possibly post a photo of the inside structure of the cabinets? I would love to see how they are built/reinforced.

Thanks!
Humpphhh- you're gonna force me to get the camera out..... Larry

(couple hours later) Here are some shots of the cabinents--- hope it helps. The bottoms of the shelves are just installed in dado cuts (with tiny screws and glue) on the outer side opposite the aforementioned "L" brackets on the fiberglass wall side. If I remember right, the back shelf was designed first, then the sides. But, the side faces were put on first then the rear center section installed last (with the bottom rear portion "floating" awaiting the dado cut. Make sense? The sides are tagged from inside the closet and the cupboard on the front side. The front shelf shot also shows how I rehung the cafe' rods for the curtains. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0541__Small_.JPG   SANY0542__Small_.JPG  

SANY0543__Small_.JPG   SANY0544__Small_.JPG  

SANY0545__Small_.JPG   SANY0546__Small_.JPG  

Old 10-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Quote:
Trial and error and a lot of cardboard to get the pattern to conform to the Scamp contours.. Then, to fasten, on a Scamp, the curtains are pop-riveted thru the body above the windows- used those holes to hold "L" brackets which support the bottoms. (the curtains were re-attached to the bottom of cabinets) The fronts were made then, a dado cut in them to hold bottoms, then "L" brackets again with a new hole drilled thru the roof to hold them up. A little butyl tape and SS stove bolts to secure them-- no leaks yet after a couple years. Basically the same for the front shelf, used the curtain rod holes, then blew some more holes in the roof for the polished aluminum straps I made. Larry

anyone?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #17

Thanks for sharing those pictures Larry! It helps to see what other people have accomplished. We have rethought our plan out at least 4-5 times now, and it still keeps changing as we realize our limitations and what we will be able to build ourselves. Finding those corner dinette cabinets was a MIRACLE as far as I am concerned. It was definitely good timing. I just hope they really fit our camper. I think kirk is planning to make a pattern from them so we can try to fabricate something similar for the front side corners.