(2008 Spring Event) First Time Trailer-er and have questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) > Ft. Langley B.C. Rallies
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi All!
New Member here, my husband and I just bought a '76 Trillium that we're planning on fixing it up and making real purty

We signed up for the glass egg meet and I'm a trailer-camping newbie so this will be my first time.

We're bringing our 7.5 year old son, a deck of cards and our natural fun selves.

Any tips on anything else we should bring or what to expect?

Will there be any other kids there?

Cheers!
-Danielle
Danielle Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Hi Danielle,

Welcome! Congrats on your new Trillium! There is a chance I am bringing my 7.1 year old twin boys. Kind of a pain to cross the border without dad, never done it before and need to do some research. I will tell you the most used item by my boys are their bikes and scooters. They also love, love, LOVE horseshoes (thanks to Gil!). The other item (for kids) that has come in really handy is a small plastic type basin to put warm water and soap in to wash their filthy little feet just before scooting into their sleeping bags. I also bought each of them these really groovey little flashlights from Coleman, that are specifically for kids that have three options for lights, a flashing type, a solid type and a nightlight. I put them to bed, give them each a flashlight and tell them they have 10 or so minutes to play. It has worked like a charm for two years, I go sit outside by the fire and within 10-15 minutes thay have turned on the nightlight and are fast asleep. I only let them use it for that specific thing so it has become really a treat!!

Hope I do bring them, and I look forward to meeting you. Feel free to ask any other questions!

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #3

We ALWAYS bring bikes for out kids now. It gives them a chance to cruise the campground looking for other kids - might take them 3 or 4 passes before they stop and say hi but they always seem to end up with other kids on bikes trailing behind.

Congrats on your new trailer, don't forget to post us some pics!
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
YES there WILL be lots of youngsters at the Fort. The campground IS 100% full as is, so even IF there were no kids in our midst, there'd be lots of others. LEAVE the bikes at home (to save space) the Fort has many different sizes and models available for rent and there are many trails to ride on but MOST better be done with an adult (supervised) as some of the trails follow the waters edge.

Bring bathing suits, ...bring'um!! The Fort HAS a nice pool (outdoors) and also features an outdoor (undercovered) restaurant specially loaded with camper fare food. The Diner ALSO does full course meals for special events (holidays) YEAR ROUND, with a full blown CHEF, not just a burger flipper. Town offers lots of stores to drag the kids to view and the town also has the WORLDS (semi) famous Fort Langley. Co$t$ for the tour but well worth it...

There are fire pits at every site, bring your own carbon fiber or BUY store bought!! We have a group 'meeting' Saturday late afternoon. Carol is trying to arrange a pot luck supper following the meeting. ...many of us choose instead to 'order in' right from Jims Pizza (Italian fare), delivers to our door(s) in under 1/2 hour too!!! The town also has a SUPER super market, well equiped to sell you ANYTHING you might have neglected to bring, LOL!!

Saturday (daytime) is usually set aside for walk abouts/ trailer tours/ open houses. No need to lock up, everyone looks after everyone else and we do HAVE a whole section registered to ourselves.
B there or B an L7, LOL!!!!! Bring your camera too, BTW!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #5

Registry
Danielle, I just did a look see at Craigs list of attendees (page 3 here-in) and didn't see your name(s). Have you made reservations (through Craig), as we (and the whole campground) are FULL UP????
Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #6

Registry
Sharon, with regards to IMPORTING children into Canada.....
I believe you'll need a written permission letter from your Hubby (childrens father) allowing you to take them out of the U.S. This letter MAY be even more important on your return trip south. Best check into issues like this for yourself so YOU have first hand info. Also when you DO get this information, its ALWAYS advisable to get the name and occupation of the person you have rec'd said info from. Not all border officials work off the same score card and sometimes (like in big business) left hand has NO CLUE what the right hand is doing.....
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Bringing an active child who gets up at the crack up dawn who loves to play. Hope you have a spot reserved! Brandy
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Bringing an active child who gets up at the crack up dawn who loves to play. Hope you have a spot reserved! Brandy
Yeah!!
Any hope that I can avoid the "Mommmmmmmm, I'm boooooooooooooored" routine at 7am is a good thing
Apparently we're in space 26, I believe...

I'm looking forward to meeting you and your bundle of energy
Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Danielle, I just did a look see at Craigs list of attendees (page 3 here-in) and didn't see your name(s). Have you made reservations (through Craig), as we (and the whole campground) are FULL UP????
Hi Doug,

Yah, for some reason my husband's name is the only one there, so I'd be registered under "Paul McEwan".
I'm getting quite excited about it since he's promised to be the coffee maker and dish washer
Old 04-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
We ALWAYS bring bikes for out kids now. It gives them a chance to cruise the campground looking for other kids - might take them 3 or 4 passes before they stop and say hi but they always seem to end up with other kids on bikes trailing behind.

Congrats on your new trailer, don't forget to post us some pics!
Bikes, great idea!

Thanks! See you there!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Danielle,

Welcome! Congrats on your new Trillium! There is a chance I am bringing my 7.1 year old twin boys. Kind of a pain to cross the border without dad, never done it before and need to do some research. I will tell you the most used item by my boys are their bikes and scooters. They also love, love, LOVE horseshoes (thanks to Gil!). The other item (for kids) that has come in really handy is a small plastic type basin to put warm water and soap in to wash their filthy little feet just before scooting into their sleeping bags. I also bought each of them these really groovey little flashlights from Coleman, that are specifically for kids that have three options for lights, a flashing type, a solid type and a nightlight. I put them to bed, give them each a flashlight and tell them they have 10 or so minutes to play. It has worked like a charm for two years, I go sit outside by the fire and within 10-15 minutes thay have turned on the nightlight and are fast asleep. I only let them use it for that specific thing so it has become really a treat!!

Hope I do bring them, and I look forward to meeting you. Feel free to ask any other questions!

Sharon

Great Advice Sharon, thanks!

As for over the border, I've had that joyous experience and was told to bring a letter from Dad confirming it's a-ok, and of course the birth certificates. Mind you I hear there's a new passport for kids rule but i"m not sure on that one...

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #12

Brandy,
we're right next to each other!!
I'm in spot 26 and it says you and yours are in spot #28.
Heh
Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Quote:
Brandy,
we're right next to each other!!
I'm in spot 26 and it says you and yours are in spot #28.
Heh

Exellent! By the way I LOVE your avitar, see you in a few weeks Brandy
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Word of caution regarding firewood. Canada does not allow U.S. firewood coming into Canada. Two years ago, I had to turn around, go down the road about a mile or so, and unload all my firewood into a ditch. The people at the border don't care what happened to it or how you got rid of it. They can just see that you no longer have it.

A couple of rules pet owners need to know. Americans may not bring into Canada any beef related pet products or any dry dog food not in an original sealed bag. When I go on trips like this, I usually pre-package dog food for Addy and then just dump it into her feeding dish. I now bring a small unopened bag with me to cross the border. And, it goes without saying, bring that certificate of rabies vaccination from your vet. Crossing the border has become a real pain lately.

Ron
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #15

Registry
Thanks for the reminder Ron.... I might also point out that things can get as 'picky' or pickier for Americans returning south. MUCH you can't (legally) be bringin back into the Land Of The Free and the Home Of The Heavily Armed, LOL!!

WHICH remembers me.....leave your weapons (of mass destruction????) at home.
Customs Canada LOVES to comfiscate any that they find hidden under pillows and the like....
Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Being someone who crosses the border often I can, with confidence, say that the problem with Beef was in taking it south, not north. Had to do with our mad cow. That said that ban is over, although last time they asked us anyway..... mind you, they only asked they didn't take anything away.

They almost always ask about fruit so we pick that up in the country we are heading into rather than risk losing it.... though once we had grapes going south and they didn't care.

You may need to show proof of rabies, but we travel with the dogs crated and haven't ever been asked to show that the dogs match the certificate and most of the time they don't ask for the paperwork either.
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1976
Quote:
Hi All!
New Member here, my husband and I just bought a '76 Trillium that we're planning on fixing it up and making real purty

We signed up for the glass egg meet and I'm a trailer-camping newbie so this will be my first time.

We're bringing our 7.5 year old son, a deck of cards and our natural fun selves.

Any tips on anything else we should bring or what to expect?

Cheers!
-Danielle
Congratulations on your Trilly, I have a 76'er too. I am bringing a 4 year old and a 12 year old so should be fun!
Janet G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita / 2006 Tacoma
We are bringing our 13yr old son. We should organise a 'go find some kids to play with' opportunity, so they don't all waste a day getting up the nerve to say Hi. We will be in Chinook 13, but won't be arriving until late on Friday. Maybe Saturday am ....
Looking forward to seeing all the trailers, and meeting some fellow egg pullers.
Laurel
Brad & Laurel W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 ft. langley, rally