A destination rest area? - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
A destination rest area?

My favorite rest area was part of a question on Jeopardy today. Located at the Lewis and Clark rest area, the Dignity sculpture located on a bluff between exits 263 and 265 on Interstate 90 near Chamberlain, South Dakota was specifically designed by sculptor Dale Lamphere to honor the cultures of the Lakota and Dakota people. Itís not just a quick stop rest area, allow at least an hour to see it all.I have watched people spend two days in the area to get different lighting conditions for "DIGNITY".

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1343.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Kenneth,
That looks nice, I'll make a not of it.

My favorite one so far is the Big Piney Rest Area in Arkansas on Hwy 40. It became a destination the next year for us. Quiet, forested, not crowded, picnic tables, incredibly nice facilities. I mean REALLY nice. We stayed for 18 hours or so.

Another favorite is the "Picnic Area" in Texas on HWY 385 south of Marathon and before Big Bend entrance. Top of a knoll, views forever, has WIFI!, nobody around for miles. Best thunder and lightening I've seen in a long time.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I saw Dignity when I was coming back across the Northern United States and returning from the Boler 50th event in 2018. It's just as spectacular as imagined. Unfortunately, it was raining and gray that day. But Judy and I spent a couple of hours walking around and visiting the Interpretive Center. Worth the stop!
Attached Thumbnails
Dignity.jpg   Dignity2.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
A couple of nice rest areas to overnight are On I-40 just east of Amarillo, RV parking and nice restroom facilities. They have 24 hour security. Another one is on I-10 in the middle of Louisiana, the Atchefalaya rest area. 24 hour security and nice parking for RV’s. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 1500 5.7L
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
another shot in SD
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0703.jpg  
Old 04-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
As long as we are touting rest area/attractions, this one is my favorite. Highest point on the old Lincoln Highway, with a Lincoln monument. Right along I-80. Worth a stop if you are ever in the area.

https://visitlaramie.org/vendors/sum...rmation-center
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post

My favorite rest area was part of a question on Jeopardy today. Located at the Lewis and Clark rest area, the Dignity sculpture located on a bluff between exits 263 and 265 on Interstate 90 near Chamberlain, South Dakota was specifically designed by sculptor Dale Lamphere to honor the cultures of the Lakota and Dakota people. Itís not just a quick stop rest area, allow at least an hour to see it all.I have watched people spend two days in the area to get different lighting conditions for "DIGNITY".

Here is the link to Wikipedia, which is up to date, including April 27, 2020 Jeoppardy contest! Did you update it yourself? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignity_(statue)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
new link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Here is the link to Wikipedia, which is up to date, including April 27, 2020 Jeoppardy contest! Did you update it yourself? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignity_(statue)

I tried to post that also and it will not link correctly. This has some information also.
https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/tr...nity-earth-sky
Old 04-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #9

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Destinations

In Chamberlin on the North side of town there is also a very good Dakota/Lakota museum. On the way back to I-80 the is a quilting store my wife really liked. Then there was a restaurant that was excellent.

The best part of our trips has been getting off the interstate and going through those small mid west towns.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Seems like a bunch of us have stopped by the statue. A couple more photos here.
Attached Thumbnails
_JV23329.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Registry
Good place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoepner View Post
In Chamberlin on the North side of town there is also a very good Dakota/Lakota museum. On the way back to I-80 the is a quilting store my wife really liked. Then there was a restaurant that was excellent.

The best part of our trips has been getting off the interstate and going through those small mid west towns.
I was broken down there a few years ago, (Dignity was not there yet) and the Ford dealer gave me a loaner car. I got to see everything in town. There is no overnighting at the rest area but they understood and let it pass. There is a taco place across the highway and they got to know me well. Yes I enjoyed every hour of it. My family has a homesteading past in SD and I go there often.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignity_(statue)

The problem with that link seems to be that the closing parenthesis does not become part of the URL. I added it to the URL line to complete the _(statue) and it did link correctly upon hitting Enter.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #13

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
We were driving west across I90 in South Dakota, when we saw Dignity. We too stopped at the rest stop. The photos posted are very beautiful, but to see it in person is really awe inspiring. Don.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:20 AM   #14

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
i-77 south at the north carolina welcome station is a great rest area with dedicated rv parking area. not as scenic as some but very convenient. probably not worth a trip to see it but, if i'm headed home on the 77 i sorta plan to stop there before the last leg of the trip. apparently overnight is cool as i've not seen any signs of restrictions and have "camped" there more than a few times. it let's me time the passage thru the awful traffic around charlotte.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
The rest area at exit 121 on I-70 in Colorado is a must stop for me. It is in Glenwood Canyon on the Colorado River. Beautiful spot. There is also Grizzly Creek coming down through the rest area.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Another scenic rest area is along I 10 in Arizona - The Dragoon Hills stop around mile 318, which, while in Arizona is called the Texas Hills. Interesting rock formations that can better be seen getting off the interstate and visiting the Amerind Museum and area hikes. Some additional photos here.
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV1542.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: In the market
Florida
favorite rest stops

This may be cheating, but several of my favorite rest stops are in New Zealand, where they are often in outstanding locations (good views, creekside, etc) but unless otherwise posted are OK with overnight camping there, complete with restrooms and potable water. The whole country is more accepting of and supportive of campervans. They do want you to have restroom facilities aboard, but in our time there we never had to use our own. Rental costs for campervans are reasonable, and they are readily available.
No, I am not part of the NZ tourist board.
capnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: In the market
Florida
favorite rest stops

This may be cheating, but several of my favorite rest stops are in New Zealand, where they are often in outstanding locations (good views, creekside, etc) but unless otherwise posted are OK with overnight camping there, complete with restrooms and potable water. The whole country is more accepting of and supportive of campervans. They do want you to have restroom facilities aboard, but in our time there we never had to use our own. And if you do use your own, most towns have a public dump station, with apps to find them. Rental costs for campervans are reasonable, and they are readily available.
No, I am not part of the NZ tourist board - no axe to grind - no dog in this fight.
capnjack is offline   Reply With Quote