Anyone else Knit? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Anyone else knit ? to/from, during camping
plan camping trip around yarn shops/fiber farms? ---map
members of Raverly?---Raverly
I bring at least 3 project with me & $$ for fiber shopping
& yes I can knit while hiking/canoeing!!!!
if I could figure out how to add pictures I would!!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I knit some but lately it has been limited to Christmas stockings for grandkids. (Luckily only every other year or so but for a few years I was doing them for a friend's foster children.)

My sister does a lot of socks; she frequents the yarn shops!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Quote:
Anyone else [b]knit ? to/from, during camping
plan camping trip around yarn shops/fiber farms? ---map
members of Raverly?---Raverly
I bring at least 3 project with me & $ for fiber shopping
& yes I can knit while hiking/canoeing!!!!
if I could figure out how to add pictures I would!!
I spin and I knit all over the world. I think my family thinks I am a little nuts but they love the Socks!Maybe we should get a gathering together at an egg rally and do our thing!

Alexandra
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
I spin and I knit all over the world. I think my family thinks I am a little nuts but they love the Socks!Maybe we should get a gathering together at an egg rally and do our thing!

Alexandra
I would love that!! are you on Raverly --the biggest knit/crochet/fiber community around?do you know about Knitty?
I'm a test/sample knitter
I know my guys think I'm a bit nuts !!I'm glad I'm not the only one what do you spin on?

a day without knitting is like a month without sunshine!!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
Registry
I too enjoy knitting. I learned to knit while I was an exchange student living in Germany during my high school years, so I knit in the continental style. Lately I have been making mostly baby blankets as gifts for family and friends. Have made a variety of items over the years and consider myself moderate to advanced in skill. I find it very relaxing to knit in the evening after work while watching TV.
Jaci
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Quote:
I would love that!! are you on Raverly --the biggest knit/crochet/fiber community around?do you know about Knitty?
I'm a test/sample knitter
I know my guys think I'm a bit nuts !!I'm glad I'm not the only one what do you spin on?

a day without knitting is like a month without sunshine!!
I think you meant how many wheels do you have? We just moved to Oregon so we down sized a little but to be here. I have a walnut Lendrum with all the toys including a woolee winder. The I have an elcetric butterfly which uses a lendrum bobbins, I have a pocket wheel. My partner spins on a Majacraft Rose.

I teach some knitting classes or did for the last 10 years but have not yet connected here about that. I also have my own craft business that makes both Yarn and spinning tools for sale.

I do not do much Raverly as I have never been able to get in, but you have encouraged me to try again.

Hope to see you soon.

Alexandra

www.alexandrascrafts.com
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'm a knitter, and do have a Ravelry.com login. I get on there occasionally, but have so far just looked around - not posted there.

I do take knitting along when we travel, including camping with the Casita! I mostly knit scarves and/or shawls; and I love lace!

(My Casita has lace curtains, although I did not knit them!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
I both knit and crochet. Usually do one or the other in the car (when not driving ) to keep me awake. A while back, I discovered lighted needles and hooks, so I can do it in the dark! I always have a tote bag full of projects on any trip I take. I was making premie caps on a trip to CA and back - came home with 20. The hospital was thrilled.

Around town, I usually have a small crochet project in my purse for those 'waiting' times. It is my one hobby that is 'portable'. I also make jewelry, make teddy bears out of fur coats, and have a shop where I do Alterations. Hyper-active? Probably!

I will be giving a beaded jewelry class at the Oregon Gathering in July. Watch for an announcement, coming soon.

Happy knitting!
Jacquie
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #9

Everyone's adventures in knitting/spinning/crocheting sound awesome
nothing better than knitting in the wilderness IMHO!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #10

Quote:
I think you meant how many wheels do you have? We just moved to Oregon so we down sized a little but to be here. I have a walnut Lendrum with all the toys including a woolee winder. The I have an elcetric butterfly which uses a lendrum bobbins, I have a pocket wheel. My partner spins on a Majacraft Rose.

I teach some knitting classes or did for the last 10 years but have not yet connected here about that. I also have my own craft business that makes both Yarn and spinning tools for sale.

I do not do much Raverly as I have never been able to get in, but you have encouraged me to try again.

Hope to see you soon.

Alexandra

www.alexandrascrafts.com
Your web site is great! blog too!
love the lazy kates !& the yarn!!!
I went to MS&WF in 2009 first time car load of us drove for 10 hours --Ontario Canada!!

have you ever thought to make cutting boards to fit over the sinks in the eggs? bet there's a market!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Yup! I'm a happy-sock knitter ... number 2 dp with fingering weight wool Projects go everywhere I go.

Jacquie G. ... tell us more about lighted needles and hooks!

Maggie
Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Yup! I'm a happy-sock knitter ... number 2 dp with fingering weight wool Projects go everywhere I go.

Jacquie G. ... tell us more about lighted needles and hooks!

Maggie
They apparently have been around for some time, but I just discovered them. They have small flat batteries in the back end, which lights an LED that projects out through a clear tip in the needles. In the crochet hooks, the 2" hook is acrylic, the 'works' is in the handle, which is very comfortable.

They are sold by Widget Products Inc. May now be made by Clover. Googling them: found them at JoAnn's (online only) You can see them there.

My local yarn shop here in Eugene has them, and a store in the Seattle area had them at the last SewExpo in Puyallup. I haven't checked other shops.

They are fairly bright; I wouldn't want to be figuring out a new pattern in the dark with them, though.

They are also good if you are working with a dark yarn.

They always create a sensation when I am using them in a waiting room: "What's THAT?"
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
Quote:
I both knit and crochet. Usually do one or the other in the car (when not driving ) to keep me awake. A while back, I discovered lighted needles and hooks, so I can do it in the dark! I always have a tote bag full of projects on any trip I take. I was making premie caps on a trip to CA and back - came home with 20. The hospital was thrilled.

Around town, I usually have a small crochet project in my purse for those 'waiting' times. It is my one hobby that is 'portable'. I also make jewelry, make teddy bears out of fur coats, and have a shop where I do Alterations. Hyper-active? Probably!

I will be giving a beaded jewelry class at the Oregon Gathering in July. Watch for an announcement, coming soon.

Happy knitting!
Jacquie
Hello to all! I have enjoyed reading about your diverse assortment of projects and interests! I renewed my interest in crocheting when I found myself with quite a bit of mind-numbing "idle" time recently spent waiting at medical appointments with my parents. Like Jacquie, I starting carrying small, portable projects with me for those "waiting" times at the medical visits, or in airport lounges, solo biz trips, or relaxing while on vacation or camping. Found I enjoyed the craft again. I am at a basic skill level and have been working on Charity projects like preemie caps, Warm Up America squares and scarves for deployed military personnel. My Mom has also renewed interest and picked up both knitting and crocheting again. Today, I am currently working on a scarf while sitting in hotel room on a slow Sunday afternoon in Houjie Town, Dongguan City, Guangdong Province, P.R. China!! Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Sandy is a knitter, and one of the leaders of our Church knitting club. They have been knitting hats, mittens and scarves for the homeless. Each Friday night for over 6 years, the Church takes 500-750 Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches to the Friday Night Feed downtown. During the winter months, they also distribute the hats, mittens and scarves.

Recently they have begun knitting all-cotton bandages, 4 inches wide and 4 feet long, to send to the Leprosy care centers in Viet Nam, where Leprosy is apparently rampant.

They are knit with cotton "string" (I don't remember the size), so that they can be sterilized and reused. Also, being knit, they can be stretched, and also they allow air to circulate thru the bandage to help healing.

She now takes an enormous ball of the string and the #2(?) needles wherever we go. She spent time knitting at the Spring NOG at Silver Falls S.P. in Oregon last weekend.

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
I love to knit and learned how to knit socks this past year. I'm addicted and i have trunks all over the place filled with yarns of all kinds. I do most of my knitting in the fall for christmas season. My nephews love my hats, they have several!
Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #16

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Beginner knitter here. When I say "beginner" I mean that I've been at it for 5 or so years but don't knit enough to have gotten much past simple squarish things. I have done a ton of scarves, a shoulder bag for myself, a big blanket....right now I'm working on my first hat. If all goes well I'll manage to finish it and a matching scarf before spring. I might even get super fancy and take a stab at some mittens to go along with the hat and scarf.

I really like the Knitty website as well - there's a rollerskating-style skirt on it that I want to try.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Count me in too! I've been knitting for about 5 yrs as well and have caught sock fever. I've knit 3 pairs cuff down with Magic Loop (never could master those DPN's) and my next venture (after the new year) will be toe up. I've knit mittens, fingerless gloves (on the needles now for Christmas gift), hats, berets, scarfs, slippers, cozies, hot pads (also great Christmas gifts and are on the needles now too), baby items and probably other things I've forgotten about. I am self taught from books and the internet. One of my favorite websites is Ravely. I only knit in the fall and spring as it's just too darn hot here in Fl to be messing with yarn etc when it's nearly 100 degrees. does anybody knit while camping?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #18

Oh Oh Oh !!! who are you on RAV?
I'm moilulu!!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #19

the new knitty has some great mitts/gloves!!!
are you on Raverly?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh yes! I'm on Ravelry as "missknits" but I havent put any pix of my projects up yet. Just saved stuff to my favs in my notebook etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann B View Post
the new knitty has some great mitts/gloves!!!
are you on Raverly?