Custom Built glass egg, Wow! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Custom Built glass egg, Wow!

Saw this on Kijiji today located for sale in near Fort Erie

Camper | travel trailers, campers | St. Catharines | Kijiji

Light weight, very aerodynamic, torsion axle. I like it!
Attached Images

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Looks like a Lil Snoozy early prototype, sort of! I'm going to guess that the fiberglass is not molded, but hand laid overtop of some panels (wood or otherwise) in order to create the shape. All the labor must have taken a lot of time.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
MC1

Ontario
I'm thinking maybe someone in the boat building business who knows fiberglass work may have put it together. The boat influences are strong.

I'm almost tempted to have a look at it. $3,000 is reasonable IMHO.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Minimally you should contact them for more information.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
MC1

Ontario
I just did Norm. Amazing the interest it has received. 96 hits in just a few hours.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Yep, looks like a repurposed boat hull. Well, two, actually.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The shape makes the placement of the windows in strange locations. Perfect for star watching, not so good for checking around your trailer at night, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I would wish for larger windows. But there's a good likelihood that such could be added. The placement is dictated by the sharp bends, of course.

Yes, it seems like a good price. Someone should latch onto it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
MC1

Ontario
I contacted the owner and got this reply....

Hello Wayne:
Thank-you for your interest in our Camper. I'm told the Camper was designed and built by a boat builder, but never met the person. When I saw and bought it I knew it had potential, as it was just basic, but well built. it is now redone and finished on the inside with a microwave, fridge, cupboards, double bed, small dining table, camper toilet (flushing type), lighting, overhead radio/CD player, etc., etc., and 30 Amp. campsite hook-up.
Just right for 2 persons, easy towing and weighs between l000-l200 lbs. The tongue wt. you can lift by hand. The only reason for selling, we're done camping.
Give us a call if interested our phone # 905-894-2052.

I just showed the ad to my dh, she replied...." and where is the bathroom"?

Soooo I guess it is a pinch to small for our future needs but I sure do like the concept of this rig.

Like Mike just said.... "Yes, it seems like a good price. Someone should latch onto it." I will 2nd that thought.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
MC1

Ontario
Update..... I called the owner and have made an appointment today to check it out. It is only 40mins from our location. When I get back I will report on my findings.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Bathroom, really who needs that? That's what trees are for LOL. I agree the windows are way too small and looks like they can easily be replaced with much bigger windows as the panels are flat in the back kitchen area.

I sure would have bought it if it was closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I contacted the owner and got this reply....

Hello Wayne:
Thank-you for your interest in our Camper. I'm told the Camper was designed and built by a boat builder, but never met the person. When I saw and bought it I knew it had potential, as it was just basic, but well built. it is now redone and finished on the inside with a microwave, fridge, cupboards, double bed, small dining table, camper toilet (flushing type), lighting, overhead radio/CD player, etc., etc., and 30 Amp. campsite hook-up.
Just right for 2 persons, easy towing and weighs between l000-l200 lbs. The tongue wt. you can lift by hand. The only reason for selling, we're done camping.
Give us a call if interested our phone # 905-894-2052.

I just showed the ad to my dh, she replied...." and where is the bathroom"?<_<

Soooo I guess it is a pinch to small for our future needs but I sure do like the concept of this rig.

Like Mike just said.... "Yes, it seems like a good price. Someone should latch onto it." I will 2nd that thought.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
MC1

Ontario
Ok, just got back from having a look see. Interesting to say the least.

Here is my take......

The custom square tube frame looks good, actually like new and was treated with Crown rust proofing. Nice! Axle looked good but no brakes. The Carlisle tires are ST and are low use and newish. Newish white trailer rims are good. There is a spare as well. Has a 4 prong plug and the trailer is wired for 120 and it has no 12 battery.

It is a plywood trailer (shell) with fiberglass laminated on the wood shell. Top quality job IMHO with no signs of problems or leaks anywhere.

It is high inside and I had room to spare (I and over 6'1"). The bed sideways at the front would also work for me and the DH.

It has some sort of carpeting stapled to most of the walls. It was in Hunter green, not my favorite color and a little dark for this type of trailer with smallish windows. Yes larger windows would be on my list of things to do as well as a roof vent with built in electric fan.

The inside was finished of nicely. Sink, drawers etc but no closet to hang clothes.

I liked it and could see myself upgrading with nice Ikea cupboard doors and installing laminate flooring etc but many folks would find it functional as is.

Overall well built and has a plastic tarp awning. I think with the rear door a custom add-room- would really work well and required for a small trailer like this. The outside is a moderately rough fiberglass finish. It looks smooth in the pics but is not. I have the skills to skim coat (bondo) the whole shell and repaint but I do not have the time at this stage of my life.

In the end we will pass on this trailer. We are accustomed to more interior space and this one is just too small for our wants and needs.

But for someone who is looking for a unique, smallish glass egg this one should be on their list. It has a lot going for it for the size and no doubt could be towed by almost any vehicle. Brakes on the trailer would be nice in most cases.

Note it is somewhat aerodynamic but the flat back will cause some suction increasing fuel usage. I will guess towing this would be similar to towing our Coleman Rio Grande pop up. We averaged 20MPG towing that and by comparison towing our Airstream 16MPG.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bondo process, fill and sand I assume. How long and wide was the trailer?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #14
MC1

Ontario
The trailer shell was about 11' long(guess), and 7' wide at it's widest point and inside about 6'6"" at it's highest point.

I know what you are thinking Norm, lots of work.

The bondo or (alternative) would be a skim coat. Similar to using drywall mud over a rough wall surface on a house wall which I have experience. I am also an experienced auto body guy and auto spray painter (well, that was in my younger days) LOL. Anyway it would be a big project that I could do but no desire to go there at this time.

Note the shell was not that bad on this trailer and is something most folks could live with.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Looks like a Lil Snoozy early prototype, sort of!
I had a chance to view some online pics of a Lil Snoozy today. It had the window upgrade which is very nice and I was surprised to see how big these glass trailers really are. I have never seen one in real life but quite impressive.

The lightweight and aerodynamics added bonus.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
MC1

Ontario
Sold

Got an email from the owner of the custom glass trailer. He sold it yesterday to a couple from his neighborhood. He says he got full asking price for it. I think they got a good trailer/deal.