Custom Hearing Protection Recommendation Needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #1

Name: Justin
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
Custom Hearing Protection Recommendation Needed

Hello, I have a hearing condition called hyperacusis and I've been looking for the best earplugs I can get. I avoid going out this time because I am a bit of a paranoid when it comes to getting COVID19. So... I just want to know if anyone here tried buying from this website? They are called Big Ear and they offer home service for molding your ears for custom hearing protection and then they'll mail the product within a few weeks. They also do have instructions for DIY molding where they'll send a molding kit then you'll mold your ears and send back the kit with the molds. Some of their products are really intriguing and of course, I'd love to know if anyone here tried their products yet.

Any other recommendation?
justdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:38 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I find the foam (roll in your hand before inserting) earplugs just fine for nearly all activities. They are inexpensive and can be reused several times before they get too stiff to conform to the shape of one’s ear canal. I cannot say I have tried “custom ear protection” because I do not see the expense worth the benefit. And I will add that my last 22 years working before I retired required the ability to hear sounds that were as close to silent as the human ear could perceive. As a result, I was very protective of my hearing whenever I was involved in any activity involving high decibel noise. Not sure foam plugs would work with your rather rare condition, but you have my empathy. I can’t imagine what it is like to feel like you are in the front row at a rock concert 24/7.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #3

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
I don't have your condition, but I have used these Leight earplugs for many years. I hope you find some relief!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Leslie in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try these. If they do not work for you there is a 30 day return policy,
https://buyaxil.com/?utm_source=face...pnmZHWRZzZQohI
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The ear plugs I like are : Honeywell, HOWARD LEIGHT.
they come with a cord you can use or not.
Avaiable from Amazon.com
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #6

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Hi
I am a retired industrial hygienist and dealt with noise in the workplace for many years. I would recommend the molded earplugs. These are what OSHA requires when other protection has not worked. So they are considered the best protection. Of course it depends on the fit. No other device will fit as well. So make sure you get a good fit.

I can’t speak to the actual company so you should use your judgement as to that.

Good luck
SusanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I find the foam (roll in your hand before inserting) earplugs just fine for nearly all activities. They are inexpensive and can be reused several times before they get too stiff to conform to the shape of one’s ear canal. I cannot say I have tried “custom ear protection” because I do not see the expense worth the benefit. And I will add that my last 22 years working before I retired required the ability to hear sounds that were as close to silent as the human ear could perceive. As a result, I was very protective of my hearing whenever I was involved in any activity involving high decibel noise. Not sure foam plugs would work with your rather rare condition, but you have my empathy. I can’t imagine what it is like to feel like you are in the front row at a rock concert 24/7.
I'm not really sure but foam earplugs make my ears itchy and irritated. Not a great experience. But regarding the cost, foamies really are inexpensive. I also tried other earplugs like the moldable ones but they accumulate too much dust and earwax. I really want to try custom earplugs just to know if they work as advertised. Maybe I need to find something cheaper.

Man, I already stopped going to concerts around 5 years ago. Having Hyperacusis just changed my life entirely. I never cared about wearing earplugs before this.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #8

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Try these. If they do not work for you there is a 30 day return policy,
https://buyaxil.com/?utm_source=face...pnmZHWRZzZQohI
Looking into it now.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #9

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The ear plugs I like are : Honeywell, HOWARD LEIGHT.
they come with a cord you can use or not.
Avaiable from Amazon.com
I tried both brands before...but maybe I should have another look at them.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #10

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanS View Post
Hi
I am a retired industrial hygienist and dealt with noise in the workplace for many years. I would recommend the molded earplugs. These are what OSHA requires when other protection has not worked. So they are considered the best protection. Of course it depends on the fit. No other device will fit as well. So make sure you get a good fit.

I can’t speak to the actual company so you should use your judgement as to that.

Good luck
Thank yo, Susan. Maybe I should do my research first...but Big Ear seems legit. I already talked to them once.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:38 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdougie View Post
I'm not really sure but foam earplugs make my ears itchy and irritated. Not a great experience. But regarding the cost, foamies really are inexpensive. I also tried other earplugs like the moldable ones but they accumulate too much dust and earwax. I really want to try custom earplugs just to know if they work as advertised. Maybe I need to find something cheaper.

Man, I already stopped going to concerts around 5 years ago. Having Hyperacusis just changed my life entirely. I never cared about wearing earplugs before this.
Justin, I truly hope you can find something that will work for you. I do not have an allergic reaction to foam which one would suspect is the cause of the itch and irritation. I am keeping my fingers crossed that one of the solutions suggested by others will be the perfect solution.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
My hobbies mostly involve shooting, usually with very loud guns, often with many others shooting around me. I am sold on the moulded plugs like you show in the ad, but mine have been made for me by professionals. I've heard good things about the do it yourself kits like those shown, but have no personal experience with them; however, if they can be made to fit like the "store bought" kind, I think you should be satisfied with them.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #13

Name: tom
Trailer: casita
Connecticut
I heartily endorse radians available at Amazon, about 10 bucks. I have two pair. You mold them yourself. Easily done. They work well. This is compared to a similar product at maybe $150 at a hearing aid store.
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #14

Name: Darryl
Trailer: Bigfoot
Wisconsin
Try earinc.com it’s the top choice of professional musicians. Standing in front of a trumpet horn line requires protection. Used by shooters too.
DarrylScamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
justdougie:

I you have problems with earwax accumulation, custom molded earplugs won't fit correctly corrextly once an accumulation of earwax builds back up.

I ride motorcycles quite a bit on extended tours where my earplugs might be inserted 8-10 hours per day.

I've had good luck with closed cell foam earplugs but you need to experiment with different brands and sizes until you come across a model that is most comfortable for you.

Here is a seller on Amazon that is selling a sampler pack of 10 different earplugs that you can try

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Pl.../dp/B000270QKU
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #16

Name: Stanley
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Since you have been diagnosed with hyperacusis I’m sure you have had your hearing tested. Have you considered hearing aids? The digital aids can be programmed in different frequency ranges. I would think the ranges that you have trouble with could be turned down. I would check with an audiologists to see what is available that could help you.

I’m hearing impaired and use hearing aids. I also shoot a lot and if I’m using ear plugs I cannot hear well enough to hear range officer commands clearly enough, so I use digital ear muffs that amplify low dB sounds and cancel high dB sounds.

I would think wearing ear plugs would cause you to loose out on hearing normally and that with all the technology available today there would be a solution available to you that help and give you better results than ear plugs. Hearings aids are not inexpensive however they have been life changing for me and worth what they cost.
Caterpillardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #17

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Casita 17LD
Montana
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Cynthia in Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdougie View Post
Hello, I have a hearing condition called hyperacusis and I've been looking for the best earplugs I can get. I avoid going out this time because I am a bit of a paranoid when it comes to getting COVID19. So... I just want to know if anyone here tried buying from this website? They are called Big Ear and they offer home service for molding your ears for custom hearing protection and then they'll mail the product within a few weeks. They also do have instructions for DIY molding where they'll send a molding kit then you'll mold your ears and send back the kit with the molds. Some of their products are really intriguing and of course, I'd love to know if anyone here tried their products yet.

Any other recommendation?
Tried the pour-in-your-ear molded ear plugs for competitive shooting. Might examine the composition because they itched so bad I wanted to rip my ears off. Got some muffs that have a volumn control and are very comfortable. Try Cabelas or any good sized gun shop. If you have any allergies be cautious.
Cynthia in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco