Die Cast/Plastic Models - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
c65

Name: Brian
Trailer: Casita
California
Die Cast/Plastic Models

Are there any members interested in car, motorcycle,ship, airplane,etc. Models?
c65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm an adult collector of 1/64 Matchbook and Hot Wheel-type models. Have a couple hundred of them. But I'm particular. They must be 1953-1956 Ford F-100 Panel. I started collecting 1/8 scale models too, also 1953-1956 Ford F-100 Panels, but those are a LOT harder to find. I have seven of those. Honestly at two feet long, I'm grateful I don't have a bunch. Can you imagine trying to store or display them? It's would require a whole new house!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I have been a fan of 1/72 and 1/48 scale aircraft models since introduced to them by my grandfather in the 50s. I am very specific in my collection.

My 1/72 scale collection is aircraft that were flow by the military of all nations in the period 1918 through 1945. My current collection totals 1600 kits (119 built) with a want list of some 300 kits.

My 1/48 scale collection is aircraft from 1900 through 1918. Currently at some 60 kits, my want list is about 50 kits.

I also have an extensive research library with this collection, specializing in aircraft of eastern Europe (Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Rumania, Yugoslavia, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, and Norway) 1900-1945.

I think I have way too much time on my hands!

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I've been aircraft modeling since I was probably 8 years old. Everything from Monogram to Revell to my favorite kits, made by Hasegawa. Mostly 1/72 scale, but several 1/48 scale ones too. Including my favorite model I ever built - a 1/48 P-51D.

A friend of mine does scratch built plastic models, and his work is extraordinary. I've neither the talent or the patience to do that, but the kits are still fun.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I always enjoyed cars as a kid and an adult.
Haven't built any for awhile though, the 1980's Monogram Winston Cup cars were a fav.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Always loved the model cars and built many and liked the 3 in 1 kits. Think I was around 11 years old when I had a great idea of putting every decal on the sheet on the car.....kind of ruined that one. But as the normal boy of that era you ended up mixing models and firecrackers . I did do a '40 Ford Delivery and added wood veneer in the back, took 2nd place in a contest. Kept that one for 40 years and gave it to a buddy who is an over the top collector/builder with 100's of rare models to finish. Now, the Buddy L metal trucks of the 50's, wish I had them all back, even with the added "used" look .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Thinking it was about 1960 or so.
I bought an AMT ( I think ) car kit. Had a picture of a Ford Mustang on the box, which is what I thought I bought. Opened it up and discovered a Plymouth Valiant inside. The sticker that kept the box closed disclosed that that was what was inside, never mind the Mustang photos plastered all over it.
Took me about ten minutes to glue the main bits together.
Then I placed it against the wall and threw my bedroom door open so that it would be crushed between the wall and the door.
Even that was a disappointment.
To make matters worse, years later, my father traded our Mercedes 190D in on a black Valiant. It came with standard paint runs.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Should have used firecrackers Glenn....a much more fulfilling ending for the Valiant .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
With the onslaught of 3D printers, I've wondered where these may or may not end up in the model car/aircraft hobby/industry. So far, I've seen nothing on how hobbyists are utilizing these? Maybe so and I just havent researched it.

Personally, I'm into RC (radio control) aircraft models and have been since about 1976. The public favorites are still "scale" models of P51's, P47's, B17's, etc. A friend of mine had a scale Cessna 150 with the pants and all at a recent flyin. LOVED that plane and it flew beautifully!! He had the LED marking lights, panel lines etc.

I realize you have to be an aircraft buff for this one, but just yesterday I was looking at the plans- and yes, I STILL am old fashioned at 57 yo and love to "build" my aircraft- at a Pietenpol Air Camper. This simple "full scale" (or real) plane was built and flown in its originality with a Model A Ford motor!! People still build them today. Of course the plans I'm looking at are for a scale radio control model of this plane. It will have a 48" wingspan but looks very nice. And the wood (balsa for the model) framing and all is just BEAUTIFUL to a model builder!

Unfortunately, it seems our young people have ZERO interest in the craftsmanship of building ANY type of model be it plastic, balsa.... anything. I still LOVE to build.... period. (great topic btw!)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Unfortunately, it seems our young people have ZERO interest in the craftsmanship of building ANY type of model be it plastic, balsa.... anything.
Mostly true Darral, but you might be surprised. One of my grandsons loves to build models now. The key wasn't to try to get him to do it, but to do it in front of him. Eventually it went from "that looks boring" to "that looks kinda neat" to "that looks cool" to "can I try it".

One thing nowadays though that baffles me is the price of the kits, as well as the other materials. When I was a teenager the kits went for $3 to $5. Nowadays it's ten times that, even for smaller ones.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That IS good news rb! I bought my grandsons some Lincoln Logs and want to get them some "Tinker Toys" as well. I remember SO much playing with these and imaging going to the "lumber yard" with my toy trucks and picking up the material. I also remember creating SO many different toys with the "Tinker Toys". My dad made a small scale of a big CB antenna that you could turn a handle and it would rotate the "6 element beam" just like he had on our house at the time. GREAT MEMORIES!

I have a ton of model cars (even the old see-through Model V8) in the attic. Seems my 35 yo son when he was a toddler took a great interest in them.... . I still dont let him forget it!

Keep up the good work with your grandsons. They ARE "grand"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Mostly true Darral, but you might be surprised. One of my grandsons loves to build models now. The key wasn't to try to get him to do it, but to do it in front of him. Eventually it went from "that looks boring" to "that looks kinda neat" to "that looks cool" to "can I try it".

One thing nowadays though that baffles me is the price of the kits, as well as the other materials. When I was a teenager the kits went for $3 to $5. Nowadays it's ten times that, even for smaller ones.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
At home, I race well detailed 1/32 slot cars on a home built wooden track that includes scale scenery. I am also a member of a G scale model train club with a large layout open to the public in Fort Bragg, California. The club is made up of people who have many different, backgrounds, skill sets and interests. My primary interest in the club is building scenery. We have a scale ridgeline in our layout that is 12 ft. high.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Someone asked about 3D printers being part of the hobby modeling scene. Yes they are now a big part of it but perhaps you are not seeing them because you are not looking for them. Just go online to any of the 3D printer forums and you will find thousands of models that can be 3D printed and more are being created everyday. There are websites that have the .stl files ready to print on your own 3D printer. Some files are free, other ones are available for purchase.

There are also a lot of "makerspace" around the country. These are a type of community based club where you pay a membership fee and then have access to a facility with equipment. How good and how much available equipment is in the space depends on donations and fund raising by the members. There are some spaces that were setup as a commercial enterprise but they tend to be very expensive for by the hour use. You will find that almost all the makerspaces hold classes to teach you everything you need to know about the tools and the software to run them. Plus very frequently you will also learn how to build up your own equipment.

If you want to make your own from scratch I would suggest you begin your learning curve by downloading a free 3D modeling software app. That is what you will use to design projects. There will always be free video tutorials to learn how to use the software. No teacher required.

Even elementary school kids are learning how to do this. Many of the elementary schools have 3D printers in the classrooms.

For good quality 3D printing you will need to learn to master the "slicer" software that prepares the 3D model for printing from the machine. The slicing software is where the fine tuning of the print quality of the model happens. The younger elementary students are not doing that part of the learning curve, it comes later on when they are better able to understand the numerical information and how it is applied.

Do lots of reading and watch lots of videos. The good part is this is a free educational opportunity for the learning part of it. The price of the machines is quite a range from entry level to high end professional. But I do suggest purchasing a machine that can use more than one type of plastic. That will allow you to use it for creating functional objects as well as toys.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote