Flyfishing - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #61

Name: Jerry & Patty
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Texas
Mike, I don't know where you are in Oklahoma but find a fly fishing club near you and they'll gladly teach you how to fly fish. The club I am President of is in Sherman, TX (just south of the state line).
Jerry-n-Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #62

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
flyfishing

I fish the Trinity River in northern California. Didn't do too good this fall and now the river has muddied up, because of rain, but should clear in a couple of days. Good run of Steelhead now and some salmon left. I just fish for Steelhead. You have to turn back the wild ones but are allowed to keep the hatchery fish. Clipped fin tells the story. Lots of guides with boats, in fact I went down the river for several miles a couple of months ago. The other passenger caught a nice 9# steelie casting hardware, I caught a couple of small fish, nothing to brag about. Waiting for river to clear for more fishing. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #63

Name: Greg
Trailer: Casita trailer
Colorado
howdy barring, my wife and I live in the Springs and have a Casita egg,and do some fly fishing along the Platte and Deckers. glad to see you are out early. We put our egg to bed until march, then Ill get her ready to go, maybe we will run into each other.
gregd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #64

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Evening,

Just noticed that this thread had "popped" to the top!

Fly Fishing is the main reason that I got the Trill in the first place. I am planning on having it ready for this spring. After a few year of using a small 'on truck' camper, I am really looking forward to the trailer.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #65

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
I got a fly rod for Christmas. Tying materials too! I haven't fly fished for many years, but I still remember how to tie flies. New fun yahoo!
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #66

Trailer: Boler 1984
My daughter decided that I needed another hobbie. She gave me a fly tying kit for Christmas and I've been checking out videos on it ever since and making storage boxes for the equipment.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #67

Lightbulb fly fishing

We all talk about getting together to compare eggs and "how-to" methods, etc., but how about a fly fishing get-together? On the Trinity River in northern California are several very nice U.S.Forest Service campgrounds. How about a get-together with a guide or two talking to us about methods, flies, etc? Sound like a good idea? A late summer or fall visit to the river is best. Although, when the river clears, after a good rain, steelhead are there after New Year. Just a thought. I will be willing to look into this adventure if anyone is interested. Marg in NW California
Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #68

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Fly Rod Holder

Has anyone come up with a good idea for a fly rod holder on your egg?

I've been thinking about adding a fly rod holder just below my Scamps awning. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #69

Name: Brian
Trailer: trillium 4500, 1977
Nova Scotia
Mike I missed your post - apologies. Yes we fish for pike with flies and a steel or titanium leader (they have nasty teeth). I use Bunny flies, leeche patterns and mouse imitations. You have to go in the spring just after the ice goes out and the big females are in shallow enough water to use a fly. Once they go back down into deeper water you will mostly catch little hammerheads (males). If I can ever figure out how to attach a photo I will post the flies I tie for pike.

Cheers Brian
brian in maritimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #70

fly fishing

I use PVC pipe, about 3' diameter with caps on each end. Fly rod in sock in pipe. I glued & wrapped VELCRO around the pipe on each end and then put VELCRO on the lip of the shell on my Frontier. The shell's lips are covered with a carpet material where it is connected to my Nissan Frontier, so the pipe VELCRO really sticks to that carpet. One on each side is enough for me. Fly rod on one side, spin on the other although I don't use the spinning rod-reel much. I can take the complete pipe with rod enclosed out of the truck or just reach in and take the sock/rod out. Works great for me. Marg
Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #71

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Rod Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
I use PVC pipe, about 3' diameter with caps on each end. Fly rod in sock in pipe...
Hi Marg
Would you happen to have a picture to post?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #72

fly fishing

Ken, no pic, RV not available during winter, in storage. But I am certain that you will be able to figure out what I told you. Measure the length of your rod, 3-4-5 pieces in the sock, diameter you should be able to tell by holding the sock in your hand plus about 1". In other words if sock had the rod inside, hold the end and eye-ball the diameter then measure the length of your rod in the sock, buy pipe plus caps for the ends and assemble. I did not glue the end cap on just in case the rod got too far into the pipe, that way I could remove the other end and retrieve the fly rod. This container will work with any type of fishing rod that can be taken apart. The sock is not necessary, but makes a nice cushion for the rod when in any container. Good luck. Some VELCRO comes with a sticky side which is handy. I glued the VELCRO to the pipe but used the sticky side on the carpet on the lip of the shell. A fun rainy day project. Marg
Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #73

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
glad this thread is still alive.
planning on teaching the wife this year. she has made noises about wanting to learn.
thought we would get a couple 4-5 wieght set ups to keep in the trailer.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #74

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian in maritimes View Post
Mike I missed your post - apologies. Yes we fish for pike with flies and a steel or titanium leader (they have nasty teeth). I use Bunny flies, leeche patterns and mouse imitations. You have to go in the spring just after the ice goes out and the big females are in shallow enough water to use a fly. Once they go back down into deeper water you will mostly catch little hammerheads (males). If I can ever figure out how to attach a photo I will post the flies I tie for pike.

Cheers Brian
never tried pike..thats cool.
up here in michigan, mostly on lake st. claire we fly for muskie. thats quite an arm load when you tie into one of those bad boys
Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #75

Michigan
mmmm just ordered a new 4 wt set up. lights i had was 7wt.

and, been drooling a mite over a little 2 wt that keeps flirting with me,,,, she keeps winking her drag at me...
Old 03-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #76

Michigan
well, got out my fly tying stuff, figured i might as well get back into it . haven't tied in about ten years. but heck sense i got everything already it won't cost much right?
ok so i took a begining tying class at basspro just to freshen up, and was surprised at how much i remembered, it really encouraged me.
did a little shopping and $70 later left. thank god i already had everything i need to tie fly's or it could have gotten costly.
so i decided i would practice tying adams, as it was a standard fly, that i will use frequently.

i have decided thea 8/0 thread was created by satan himself....
first off i need a bobbin threader to thread my bobbin threader...
and the dang stuff is so skinny that when i do get my fingers on it it snaps off in my hands....
secong i decided,,,that though at one time in my life i could tie an #18 or #20 adams in about a minute....once you reach your 60's, it can take 10 or 15 minutes to tie a #8 and it looks more like a woolly bugger on LSD.<_<

all that being said,,,i am having fun, and am sure as soon as i practice enough so my hands have more sensitivity then say a ,,,smoked ham,,,
i'm sure i will do fine.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #77

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Fly tying

I just finished running a "basic fly tying" course at our local Rod and Gun Club.

None of them had ever tied a fly before, plus, we were doing this in the Clubhouse. People coming in and out, everyone talking, me trying to show what to do. Great time.

You should have seen some of the first attempts!! But, by the last session we were doing damsels with chain eyes and "chromies"

It sure does take practice though!
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #78

Michigan
good thiing is every fly wil work on something,,,if it isn;t a good enough adams to take a trout,,,,it will probably still take a bluegill
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #79

Michigan
Hey!!!!!

Wake up out there! 3 weeks till trout opener here in michigan.

we have over 12,000 miles of rivers and streams in michigan, a huge number of them are designated trout streams, vast stretches of fly only water. the ausauble, the piere marquette, the pigeon and black are all streams fly fishing folks dream about being on some day. theres a little known stream in the northern suburbs of detroit that has sections with as many as 600 brookies per mile. and not very many fish it.
i'm going to hire a guide this year to take me flats fishing for carp on traverse bay, sposed to be as much fun as you can have standing up with a fly rod in your hand.
and over in lake st.clair i know a guy that targets musky on a fly...gotta try that one too.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #80

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
My wife and I were out for a motorcycle ride in July and fly fished the Bitterroot near Stevensville...got 2 nice ones...

We love 2 fish...both of us!

Steve & Margarita
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote