Furry Friends or Pets Photos - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #41

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Yes Tom, he really does dig camping - everywhere we go! As well as our back yard. He's also a "bone" dog, and loves to bury bones. We never had a dog like this.

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #42

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
You probably already know this, but Schnauzers are the only German terrier breed. "Terrier" is derived from "terra" or earth. Terriers were bred to go to ground for vermin, etc., so Buckley is true to his heritage.

Our last Mini Schnauzer, Gunner was one tough little dog. He was mauled by coyotes, stung by 100+ bees and lived to 17.5 years! He was blind and deaf for his last few years, but still had a passion for living. He's been gone for 6 years, but we still miss him.

Give Buckley an extra pat on the shoulder for me,

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #43

New York
Tom, I did not know schnauzers were terriers, but I did know they were bred to go to ground for vermin.

Buckley had a 6# toy poodle mom and a 10# miniature schnauzer dad. Buckley is all of 14#s, but not fat. He's a great dog, a mix of two smart breeds, and has a mind of his own! He also likes to fetch.

I will give Buckley an extra pat on the shoulder for ya Tom. He's not gonna be happy with me tonight, cause I'm getting home late!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Standard Schnauzers don't belong to the terrier group. They are a medium sized (~40 lbs.) dog bred as a general farm dog. They do have a strong rodent prey drive, and will dig up surface mole tunnels to get a mole they scent or hear beneath the surface. In the past they have been used as a herding dog but have not really been bred for herding characteristics in a long time. Good watch dog but generally pretty calm.

Mini Schnauzers were bred from standard Schnauzers by breeding with terrier to bring down the size. They have more of a terrier temperament and will "go to ground" into a burrow after prey. Or dig their way pretty deep into a burrow. Standard Schnauzers don't generally do this lacking that terrier character trait and being too big to make it practical they have not been bred for it.

I know a breeder that raises both, difference in temperament becomes apparent when you approach the fenced in yard and both types are out. They all bark initially, then the standards trot over to the fence and stand there checking you out, the minis continue to bark at you while doing short challenging runs at the fence.

Both can be very sweet and devoted family members, death to rodents and do an excellent job of being a fur covered alarm system.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #45

Michigan
Roger That, RogerDat. You are correct. I was speaking of Mini-Schnauzers, but should have specified. Mini's are great little watch dogs. I read an article about western ranchers using them teamed up with a German Shepard to watch sheep at night. The Schnauzer sounds the alert when coyotes or wolves visit, and that triggers the Shepard to take care of business. They say mini's will bark at leaves falling off trees, but mine were not that bad. Nothing gets by them though.

You didn't mention Giant Schnauzers. They were bred for watching cattle, and later for military and police work. A friend used to breed them and they can go over 100 lbs. Very reserved nature, and loyal to the end.

BTW, a phrase I used many times a day when I was working was "Roger That". I still do. Also use the term "Negative" instead of no. My wife has tried breaking me of that, since I left the Army; but so far to no avail.

Tom
Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #46

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Roger That, RogerDat. You are correct. I was speaking of Mini-Schnauzers, but should have specified. Mini's are great little watch dogs. I read an article about western ranchers using them teamed up with a German Shepard to watch sheep at night. The Schnauzer sounds the alert when coyotes or wolves visit, and that triggers the Shepard to take care of business. They say mini's will bark at leaves falling off trees, but mine were not that bad. Nothing gets by them though.

You didn't mention Giant Schnauzers. They were bred for watching cattle, and later for military and police work. A friend used to breed them and they can go over 100 lbs. Very reserved nature, and loyal to the end.

BTW, a phrase I used many times a day when I was working was "Roger That". I still do. Also use the term "Negative" instead of no. My wife has tried breaking me of that, since I left the Army; but so far to no avail.

Tom
We had much the same situation as you describe with the Shepard/Schnauzer team when our Samoyed & Husky mix (Bandit) was getting older. We also owned a Shih Tzu (Columbo) who being much younger would go off at the slightest provocation which would bring the larger dog running out of a sound sleep. Bandit did not hear as well when he was older so Columbo acted as his warning system.

Bandit had a guard dog temperament, bark once or twice then not going to backup and let you in unless told to. If you persisted one growl and lips would curl up. Never had anyone push it past that. But very gentle with kids.

People with Giants have to put locks on their fridges because those guys are big enough (and smart enough) to open the door. Food on the counter is almost in their face so unless well trained leaving steaks out to thaw may not work out well for YOUR dinner, works out pretty great for the dog however.

I'll have to find a picture of our standard and post it. She is 9 now but still catches squirrels that try to raid the bird feeder. They have to beat her to the fence or tree every time, she only has to beat them there once. Doesn't take many races before she wins.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #47

Michigan
RogerDat, I'd like to see your speedy Standard Schnauzer. Our first dog was a Beagle. He used to catch rabbits and drop them at my feet. Will she be going to Algonac? We'll be there with our two pooches. Looking forward to meeting you too, BTW. We'll be in #140. This will be our first Rally. We're planning to move back to that area soon ourselves. I grew up in S.E. MI. and most of my family is still there. We lived in St Clair Shores, Auburn Hills, and New Baltimore.

Tom
Old 07-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #48

Name: Travis
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16ft
Colorado
Have to admit, I'm quite the dog nut. Have been my whole life.

The pack right now...

Patsy, GSD mix, 3

Pete the Labrador, 13.5

Sadie, GSD/Akita/Chow Mix/? 15 and still the Alpha...

Waylon, the fat cat...Patsy and Waylon are best friends. Waylon grooms Patsy daily, licking all over her face and ears, even the insides. Gross. They also play together a lot. Waylon thinks he's a dog.

CO Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #49

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
This is my rescue dog Katrina, AKA "Weener." She is 7 years old. This is a pic from our most recent camp last week. Awww...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1405254040.865387.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	73570

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #50

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
This is my rescue dog Katrina, AKA "Weener." She is 7 years old. This is a pic from our most recent camp last week. Awww...Attachment 73570
What a cutey! I bet she is a good girl too!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #51

New York
Registry
She is! Such a sweetheart. We love her to death! Thank you for noticing her; your comment makes me proud!

Wendy

Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #52

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
We definitely need a "Like" button! All of these furry friends are so cute!

This one isn't exactly furry, but he's a great little traveler.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #53

Michigan
Wendy, cool dog! Ours are on post # 17. We often say we have a Wiener dog and a Whiner dog.

Travis, I'll bet there's never a dull moment with your pack. All good looking dogs.

Tom
Old 07-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #54

New York
Registry
Hi Tom,

What a couple of cuties! What body of water are they frolicking in? Weenie is a big babykins too. She's got various personalities depending upon whether attention or food are possibilities. She's a lucky girl though cuz the animal service league picked her and her brothers and sisters up from Kentucky and saved them all from certain death. Then I saw her on petfinder.com and drive to Richedter, NY to get her! She's done more traveling than I, my little southern belle!

Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #55

New York
Registry
Drove to Rochester. Darn inept fingers!

Old 07-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #56

Michigan
Wendy, Dewey the Dachshund and Piper the Rat Terrier are checking out the crayfish at a beach on Lake Michigan, near Escanaba in MI's Upper Peninsula. We bought Dewey from a local (Chicagoland) breeder, and found Piper in an eBay ad! We went down to the Notre Dame campus in South Bend, IN to pick her up. Both great dogs that are becoming great little travelers. They've been up to Backus, MN in -20 degree weather last January, and Florida in April. We'll take them everywhere we go, but I don't have to explain that to you or anyone reading this thread, eh?

I only get to see my other friends when I go deer hunting each fall. That's also in the U.P. See post #23 in this thread.

Tom
Old 07-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #57

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Deborah my title does say furry friends or pets. Is yours a Conure? We use to have a Conure. He had very limited words. He would say "Love You". And when he was taking a bath he would say "feel's good, feel's good". Very pretty bird.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #58

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Ted - He's a 20-year-old Mealy Amazon. He says "Mom!" Then he answers with "What!" Don't know where he picked that up.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #59

New York
Registry
Oh my gosh...I just scanned through the pages of this thread and we all have such beautiful animals! What would we do without them? In fact, I just ordered a license plate holder for my Scamper in honor of my rescue dog Katrina that says..."Who Rescued Who?"

So true...
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #60

Name: Travis
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16ft
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
We definitely need a "Like" button! All of these furry friends are so cute!

This one isn't exactly furry, but he's a great little traveler.

Quaker? My Mom use to have one she kept at a family liquor store. The customers loved her, really brought in business. Her name was Tequila. That bird was just as attached to me as my dogs are. Possibly more. She would throw a huge fit if she couldn't see me. Would try to find me if she was out of her cage. I could trim her wings without restraining her and she'd just be happy I was holding her. Pretty cool, really.
CO Dude is offline   Reply With Quote