Have Dog Will Travel! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #21

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Talking

Heh heh watch out, it's an addictive hobby! Chis are small enough to fly in an airplane in the cabin with you, too. No limit to how far you can go with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Great picture,sure like the set up. Our oldest DD & Hubby are at Agility show this week end. Don't know how they did today but last week they got 2Q's each. So far their shows are close enough for them to day trip both days of the show.

Happy Camping
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Molly, the greyhound, is the reason I have the Escape! She's scared in motels but treats the trailer like a big crate - and yes, she sleeps on the small dinette bed.
I use 1 1/2 xpens just to provide a bit of off leash area under the awning for her. When the air conditioning is working, she's safe even in the deserts that are my favorite camping areas.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #23

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I think my corgis would go right through that if it were not electric. Hmm, I hope it comes smaller.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #24

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Yep, it's not really a physical barrier at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I think my corgis would go right through that if it were not electric. Hmm, I hope it comes smaller.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #25

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
does anyone have any experience with duck tolling retrievers...... we have a golden retriever now. just looking for a ittle info on how they travel temperment etc
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #26

Trailer: Aliner
Sunny lets us go camping with him. He even lets me sleep in his bed.
Attached Thumbnails
sunny-sm.JPG  
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Tollers eh!

Alan I have 2 tollers who just love to go camping. Mine are very friendly and are very birdy. They even let me sleep with them in the trailer. Others I have met can be a bit aggressive and a little anti social. If you want the name of a really good breeder in Calgary p.m. me

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #28
Cyd

Name: Cindy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Registry
Hi! I travel with "The Boys" in a Casita Spirit Deluxe. One is a brittany and the other is a pem corgi. We are currently doing obediance trials and travel the west coast and Arizona. I use three x-pens plus a x-pen gate. I just put them on the door side of the trailer. One of the pens is cut down to so I can open my door with the step out.
Cyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #29

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
We've got *two* Bernese Mt. Dogs (berners). We bought the trailer to alleviate the headache of trying to find a motel that would take us.

I'm still in the rehab phase, so we haven't camped in our egg yet. Last year we put us and both dogs in a 8x10 family tent. We use two Xpens (30" high version) to keep them close by. I"m thinking of using popup kennels outside for sleeping at night. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1368.JPG  

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #30

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I travel with my bobbed-tailed cat, Bobby. He is an indoor cat and doesn't seem to mind being confined to the camper. He doesn't mind riding in the TV either. I keep his carry-all open in the back but he likes to ride on the arm rest where he can watch the traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
404.jpg   DSC01755.jpg  

Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #31
Cyd

Name: Cindy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Registry
Hi Fred - Actually I use the 36" x-pens and I have both of the boys soft crates in the "dog yard". There is a guy on the show circuits who makes these x-pen gates that work like a real gate, so much easier to get into the yard. My breeder is also a professional handler and has shown the Berners in the breed ring, I like them, they are gentle giants but very quick when they want to be. My brother was a Newf guy, his newfie's name was Ch. Bacanals Stormin Norman. If you did the camping thing in a tent then the egg will seem like the Taj Mahal, no kiddin. I Love mine! If you go into my registry you can see the pictures of my dog yard. The pictures were taken on Palomar Mountain this last July 4th.

Cyd
Cyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #32

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
my 3 austrailian shepards

chloe, caspian, sally
Attached Thumbnails
15.jpg  
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
I'd like to see your portable fencing. I've experimented with various ideas, but haven't really found a great solution. Something that packs small and light, but opens big and strong would be great. That's a tough one. ... The same thing in alumimun would be nice, but doesn't exist.
David
We use two of these:
It's a Breeze Too Soft sided Exercise pen 36"H with 8-24"W panels ONLY 16 lbs. -
They feel lighter than the 16 Lbs. Stated, I think that is shipping weight.
We set up using the octagon shape, putting a door on each side of the middle connecting the two making it look like a big peanut. We use the optional tops and bottoms. Although these will set up square, we've found the octagon shape to be much more stable while camping. The squares are good for a flat floor like in a dog show or just at home.

Our 77 Lb. or so Rhodesian Ridgebacks are quite comfortable in this set up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pen.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	46430
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #34

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
That looks like a nice set-up Roy. But I don't see any dogs!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
That looks like a nice set-up Roy. But I don't see any dogs!
Thanks Clive,
Here they are playing or dancing ... take your pick.

Name:	Playing.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	46449
There is a fenced in baseball diamond near our favourite campsite. We each stand in front of the open gates at the dug outs and let them run free.

Name:	Diamond.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	46450

And here is the older one Lure Coursing. She's running about 495 yards in 33 seconds, that's about 30+ MPH.
Our dog is in pink; the one in yellow is cutting the course short and gets penalized for it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #36

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
dog sleeping bags

my dogs have learned it gets cold winter camping.they have their own sleeping bags and own mats under picnic table.
Attached Thumbnails
sleeping bag.jpg  
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #37

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey
Registry
So very happy to see so many of you camp with your dogs! I was worried I had made a mistake! Sorry some people don't understand how important our dogs are to us but Snickers is my companion and she needs me as much as I do her. Camping without her would not be a fun trip.
Ana A in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #38

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
It's too bad all the irresponsible pet owners are ruining it for the everybody else. The same with irresponsible parents making it difficult for well behaved children to be accepted.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #39

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
We are trailer or fifth wheel shopping (Escape?). We have a small 10 pound terrier mix and plan to take her everywhere. Our question for you folks is this...when you land in a national park such as Zion which doesn't allow dogs inside the park, is it safe leaving the dog inside the trailer if we want to take some dog-less trail hikes? I guess if there's neighbors around, you can ask them to keep an eye out? Assuming you leave the A/C on if you're in a spot with hook ups? Or, weather permitting, is it safe leaving the windows open with the dog inside? If these are a dumb questions, excuse us. We're newbees. Just concerned about leaving windows open (we would never leave her without either fresh air or A/C) but wondering about break ins...don't care what is taken as long as it's not the dog! Do many folks leave their dogs in their trailers when they take hikes?
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #40

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The problem with dogs in National parks is one that I had to contend with while my guy was still traveling with me and thus I tended to avoid them for that reason. But some parks do allow them on an limited bases in some areas.

You will find what some of the National Parks allow regarding dogs and dont allow here.

Whether or not you leave the dog in the trailer depends a great deal on the dog and the weather. I use to take mine out for a really good walk prior to leaving him in the trailer - often meant driving to another location. He was not a barker so I did not need to worry about that - if your dog is a barker personally I would not leave it. I love dogs but its not great to be camping next to a trailer with a dog barking away and no owners to be seen. If the weather was not too warm I would leave windows open and take my chances re the break in - if lots of people are in the campground its a good bet someone will notice someone trying to bust into your trailer - get to know your neighbors helps. If the weather was warm I would leave the Fantastic Fan on & a couple of windows open while the dog was in the trailer..... if the weather was hot I would come up with another plan for the day rather than leave him on his own in the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote