Have Dog Will Travel! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #81

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
george-is that a pic of your dog...a few pages back. black on the dinette seat? she looks more than 10lbs. i've never heard of that kind of dog. have to check them out.

i have pretty bad hand arthritis so there are many things i have trouble with now. carrying and opeing the metal crate is hard. so far i can still hook up!
Yep, that's my LBD there on the dinette. Schipperke's are known as "little black devils".....ha ! ....they have quite a lot of personality. You're right, in the photo of her on the dinette seat, with nothing else there to reference, it's hard to see her size. Here's another shot of her coming back with her tennis ball....you can see she can barely get her mouth open far enough for the ball. She's 10" tall at the withers and weighs 10 pounds.

As for keeping them from barking while camping, I am not sure what to say about that, other than I train her essentially the same way we train horses....apply pressure when the bad behavior occurs, then release pressure when they behave. They soon learn that the release of pressure occurs when they are good, and they prefer, "no pressure" vs "pressure". On this dog, "pressure" is basically giving her a stern look, and pointing a steady finger at her. I don't even have to touch her.

Having said all that though, I really pretty much let her bark at most of what she wants to bark at, except when camping. We have the discussion that she is to be a good girl in campgrounds, so as to get along with the neighbors ! When I leave the camper in the evening to go to the showerhouse, I leave her in the camper with the shades drawn and either the TV or radio on, and sometimes the fan too. That is enough background noise that she can't hear what's going on outside, so she is not compelled to bark. Being small, her bark is not very loud anyway, so for the most part, if the camper is closed, you can't really hear her outside.

gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #82

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
so what kind of horses??? hmmmm. i see your in MO. that would be a trek...altho i have friends in branson and SE kansas

i'm looking for a bomb proof, short, chunky something to get me thru the next 10 years or so...

i know carol used to ride...are there other horse lovers here too?

my 9lb mix couldnt get her mouth around a tennis ball until she was 2. now i stab the tennis ball and make a flap...but sometimes she gets the whole thing in her mouth

i have a pic of her on my album in my profile but i havent figured out how to move it here

and -in some ways i feel like you about letting her bark. she really never barks for no reason when at home or in camper. and i like to know when someone or something is around. i was glad to read about the pom mix a few pages back scaring off a bear with barking...the bears have been coming in houses and cars around here.

i need to stop her from barking when on leash tho...i guess she has to remember i am the big dog and will take care of her.

ps-good ideas about background noise in camper...that might work for me.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #83

Missouri
....here's one more of the LBD. She couldn't stand the fact that I was taking photos of a saddle without her......so she wanted up there to horn in on the action. This kind of shows how small she is.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #84

New Hampshire
neat pic...so do you have quarter horses...they have always been my favorite. smart.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #85

Missouri
Quote:
so what kind of horses??? hmmmm. i see your in MO. that would be a trek...altho i have friends in branson and SE kansas

i'm looking for a bomb proof, short, chunky something to get me thru the next 10 years or so...

i know carol used to ride...are there other horse lovers here too?

my 9lb mix couldnt get her mouth around a tennis ball until she was 2. now i stab the tennis ball and make a flap...but sometimes she gets the whole thing in her mouth

i have a pic of her on my album in my profile but i havent figured out how to move it here

and -in some ways i feel like you about letting her bark. she really never barks for no reason when at home or in camper. and i like to know when someone or something is around. i was glad to read about the pom mix a few pages back scaring off a bear with barking...the bears have been coming in houses and cars around here.

i need to stop her from barking when on leash tho...i guess she has to remember i am the big dog and will take care of her.
We have a variety of horses at the barn, but our show horses are Arabian ( purebred ) and Anglo-Arabs.
Yes, I think you are right, there are several horse lovers on this forum ( doesn't "everybody" love horses !? )
This is going way off topic....so I will stop at this one, but this our latest baby....little three year old..... I have totally falling in love with her.....

Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #86

Missouri
Quote:
neat pic...so do you have quarter horses...they have always been my favorite. smart.
We have a couple of quarter horses at the barn. One especially, a big 'ol gelding that is a sweet trail-ride horse.
I just love the Arabs though....that one in the pic....she is my high maintenance, skittish, drama queen, brat-horse. Just the way I like 'em
......hmmmm, which probably says more about me that it does about her......

Back on topic though, my dog is always reminding me that "dogs are superior to horses.....you can't hold a horse on your lap, and they can't sleep on your bed either....."
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #87

New Hampshire
i'm gonna look for a horse thread...if there isnt one i'll start it-ps---i like arabs a lot too...but now that i am wider than i am tall i probably need a quarter or draft pony
Old 04-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #88

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
On tie outs that won't allow dog to tangle we have had really good results with a home made one. Consists of 1/8 inch cable about 7 ft. long. Loop at each end to stake it down with. Attached to the cable by a ring is a 6 ft chain with a typical leash clip.

Cable is staked down flat with the ground ( I use barn spike nails with a washer AKA my favorite tent/tarp stake) The dog gets about 12 ft of linear travel (cable + chain) but only 6 ft side to side (chain only). Since the travel area is a rectangle I find it easier to place so our fur kid can get from camper to sitting area without having enough side travel to get wrapped around things.

I would also add I carry a hammer to pull up the stakes, and even our 55 lb husky mix could not pull it loose. Side pull creates "slip" of ring on cable. End pull is anchored against stakes on both ends. We had a really lite one with string leash instead of chain for our 7 lb shih tzu.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #89

New Hampshire
trying to post pic...

of my shihtzu mix...i think it worked...she gets a haircut tomorrow and just got done digging moles in the rain...guess she'll need a bath b4 bed...
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00022.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #90

Missouri
Quote:
of my shihtzu mix...i think it worked...she gets a haircut tomorrow and just got done digging moles in the rain...guess she'll need a bath b4 bed...
yep ! she looks like she is saying, "come on human, let's go camping !"
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #91

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I take my dogs along when camping. I have a roof I can put over my x pens when having an escape artist. I do have one named Houdini that climbed a 4 ft high fence tonight, she is 8 lb Mlatese. I find that some dogs will just lay around while others will do anything to get out of their area when camping. Even my little 3 lb male could climb a 3 1/2 food fence and meet me at the camper door if I did not bring him with me to the camper. I would barely make it into the camper to get something and either Houdini or Nick would be there at the door.
Those little blue pet trainers for under $20.00 do work for barking dogs if you train them with it. Because I raise Maltese I have taken many dogs with me over the years (once 12 puppies and the moms and dads - never again!) X pens are heavy but the most sturdy as the dog can not bite through them. My houdini is named Houdini for a reason. She will bite through anything that is not wire. She is my escape artist.
As for the screen door, I am going to put plexaglass over my screen this year where the dogs can reach the screen, as I left two dogs out in the camper last summer one day thinking I could trust them in the camper for a short while - I came back to find they messed with the screen. This year they will have to dig through plexaglass. Usually I kennel them when leaving the camper. Air is on and we are never gone long. Neighbor is there is air would go off or anything like that. I keep my bases covered if we should go out to eat or run to the store.
As for the barking, being as I show dogs and have multiple dogs at the camper I have always debarked them for over 30 years. Some people hate that idea, think it is cruel, so no bad remarks please. It is my choice and it works for me and my dogs that are never yelled at to keep quiet. It sure beats yelling at them, having to bring them inside etc. They can bark as loud as they want and do not disturb the neighbors. If having only one or two dogs, the blue pet trainer should work.
My dogs are the hit of the campground and people stop by just to visit because of the dogs.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #92

New Hampshire
Etta's pic after grooming...she's exhausted

Etta James
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00025.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #93

New Hampshire
thanks for sharing about your maltese. so far etta doesnt climb over fences or think to dig under. she digs. in sand and mud...she doesnt know she's a diva dog. more of a tomboy.

and she's pretty good at listening when i say "stop". the worst thing she did was attack the groomers when she was a puppy. then the trainer said it was the groomers fault. she's 7 lbs. just tell her to "knock it off". she knows when i'm serious and she will have a 5 min timeout in the bathroom if she doesnt straighten out. not sure what ceasar would think about that.

i think if i leave fan on when i leave camper she will probably settle down. when i'm at the beach without elec there usually isnt anyone around
Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #94

New Hampshire
Etta and I are On the Road Again!

this is one of our favorite places
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00066.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #95

Missouri
Quote:
....that dog is smiling ! She is sayin' "man I love camping.... !"
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #96

New Hampshire
actually george the wind was blowing really hard and she couldnt even get her eyes open...but she does love to "go"
Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #97

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Precious

Quote:
Awww...Etta's singing "At Last!"
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #98

Name: Michael
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Pennsylvania
Such a cute picture! He (she?) looks so happy! Totally made my day better seeing that
Bootsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #99

New Hampshire
we're out again and happy as can be warm and dry even though its pouring outside we're watching surfers where I use to surf
Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #100

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
How about some discussion among those of us who bring our dogs along? I bring my australian shepherd with me to agility trials in a 13' Scamp. We love it! Not much room for anything else on the floor, and I keep a lot of stuff in my vehicle. She sleeps under the bunk. I set up portable fencing all around the camper to make a big play yard.
This is one of the main reasons i bought the Scamp. To tote my dogs. I have 2 border collies and a golden retriever. Hotels frown at them. Campground cabins frown at them. LaQuinta is the best at welcoming my sweet dogs. And they love staying at the KOA Kabins, but they really are getting too pricey for what they are. ie...Myrtle Beach KOA a small cabin with a bathroom for 2 nights the second weekend in July $384. And then pay $10 per dog per night when i get there. Sheesh.
_Scamp87_ is offline   Reply With Quote