KEY FOB DEAD? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
KEY FOB DEAD?

Over the weekend I was reminded of the problems that a dead battery in the key fob can cause. I carry a spare key fob in both my car and tow vehicle. I removed the batteries and wrapped the spare in foil because in my old Lincoln it will start with no battery if the fob is in the car. Saturday, I got a call from an F150 owner that said his fob was not working (no key detected) to start the truck. Videos on the web show the built-in secret hiding place for the fob, IT IS NOT FOR THAT, it is where you can place your dead fob and still start the vehicle. Next time you get an oil change ask you dealer where your hidden compartment is. I had it happen on the road in Montana last year, I drove into the gas station, filled with gas, and it would not re-start. On Saturday I just told the driver to put the fob in the “secret hiding place” and he was on the road again.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:30 PM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Put a couple of spare batteries in your console or glove compartment for times like these.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Now you tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Put a couple of spare batteries in your console or glove compartment for times like these.
and yes, now I do. I have been watching for batteries in gas stations but no coin cells to be found.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #4

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Bought mine at Harbor Freight and Lowes.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #5

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
I am totally ignorant, I admit, on this topic. How do you even open the fob to get to the battery? I have always taken mine to the dealer for battery replacement. I have an Odyssey, 2019. . . I can see how to take out the metal key that is embedded in it, but no clue as to how to replace the battery in it.
Thanks.
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:42 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Looks like the hardest part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
I am totally ignorant, I admit, on this topic. How do you even open the fob to get to the battery? I have always taken mine to the dealer for battery replacement. I have an Odyssey, 2019. . . I can see how to take out the metal key that is embedded in it, but no clue as to how to replace the battery in it.
Thanks.
...is getting the new battery out of the package.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:02 PM   #7

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Thank you so much for the video!!
I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!
Absolutely super.
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Over the weekend I was reminded of the problems that a dead battery in the key fob can cause. I carry a spare key fob in both my car and tow vehicle. I removed the batteries and wrapped the spare in foil because in my old Lincoln it will start with no battery if the fob is in the car. Saturday, I got a call from an F150 owner that said his fob was not working (no key detected) to start the truck. Videos on the web show the built-in secret hiding place for the fob, IT IS NOT FOR THAT, it is where you can place your dead fob and still start the vehicle. Next time you get an oil change ask you dealer where your hidden compartment is. I had it happen on the road in Montana last year, I drove into the gas station, filled with gas, and it would not re-start. On Saturday I just told the driver to put the fob in the “secret hiding place” and he was on the road again.
That works if you have the push button start. My XLH is key start. But I believe if you have a key cut, even if it’s not “activated,” a dead key in the compartment will allow the non-activated key to start the F-150. It is my understanding that the “secret compartment” reads the key even if its battery has gone to the big recycling center in the sky!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:33 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm grateful for the heads-up. My wife's newer daily driver has push-button ignition. It happened on a Nissan rental a few years ago. No secret compartment, but there was a very specific back-up start procedure. I need to find out what it is for my wife’s car before it happens.

Myself, I've been driving my Pilot for several years now using just the valet key. No battery, no chip, no problem!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote