Like your opinions on a new version of molded fiberglass trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment.

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer?

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle?

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons?

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer?

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom?

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events?

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new?
1. I actually believe that fiberglass design is not quite so simple. "Stickbuilt" trailers are more simple, utilizing boxy house construction that is much cheaper to produce. For the most part the idea of a molded fiberglass body is much more complicated to realize, thus the higher expense.

2. I have a V6 "Minivan".

3. Actually, no.

4. A "Stick-built" trailer is just a portable house you drag down the road. A Molded Fiberglass trailer is a vehicle (or vessel) that you can inhabit. Like an automobile, boat or airplane, a Molded Fiberglass trailer is a sculptural work of art.

5. If sleeping counts for 8 hours per day, then other indoor activities may total another 4.

6. A bathroom is a necessity! The Robinsons of Lost in Space couldn't count on parks with hook-ups and facilities, and I enjoy similar adventures in my wide-open-spaces ship.

7. The Chargers or The Padres? Get real.

8. The older brands. Classics.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #22

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment.

I like the vaguely modernist curvy lines.

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle?

I picked the type of trailer that I thought could be reasonably towed by the 4-cylinder car that I already had. No interest in sizing up in the car department - as a certified tree hugger, fuel efficiency is a priority.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons?

My Burro is my first ever trailer like this. I went molded fiberglass first because stick built trailers of similar size tend to be heavier, and in the process of learning more decided that the better longevity sounded pretty good.

A couple of hours for second breakfast/nap/photo processing/lunch between morning and afternoon photo outings, then dinner prep and eating, more photo processing time before sleeping. Actually a significant amount.

I went with a no bathroom model because I wanted to keep it simple for my first trailer, and because of weight issues as a beginner. But if I ever upgrade I'll get one with a bathroom/shower.

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events?

Nope! No interest in that sort of thing.

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new?

I long for a Bonair Oxygen as my next trailer, which I guess is no longer in production.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Since I'm from Oswego I'm quite familiar with Harborfest, and have to agree that the fireworks are spectacular. I haven't attended in recent years (been traveling) but here is a link to some of the past celebrations: Harborfest 2008.

Although not exactly tailgating, for a number of years the city of Oswego allows dry camping along the river during the festival (they charge the same as they do for tying a boat in the river. A great way to avoid being part of the 150,000 people driving out of the city after the fireworks!
Hahaha, I know how you feel about the fireworks. They really do put a great show. However, hated that traffic after the fireworks. That is why we really stopped going about 4 years ago this July.

Anybody else interested in going. Plan ahead to park away from the city so you can get out a bit easier or do not go to the fireworks. It is only on Saturday night. The traffic is crazy. One time it took us to leave till 2 am! We always leave at end of fireworks.

The reason till 2 was we thought maybe wait till all traffic die down but it was not. It was still a lot of traffic. Most of the roads are single lane each way until you reach near Fulton, Interstate 81 or if coming from Rochester, not till near Irondequet. That is quite a way out there.

When I was younger, in 1980s's..that time was in high school, just driver's permit.. well, I thought I get smart by riding my bike compared to my mom's car. We lived in Fayetteville at the time and the fireworks in Manlius. I actually beat my mom and my brother by riding my bicycle than riding in the car. I wanted to show that slower means of transportation wins. Heard of the Rabbit and the Turtle children story? You know who won?

Funny thing, I wish I rode with my mom in 1982 because of another long story. Hahaha. I will end that here.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
With the headline of $6 gas on the way in the USA and some already paying near that in parts of the country.

My most important design parameter is that it have a low, aerodynamic frontal area, minimal weight and be capable of being towed by the smallest fuel efficient vehicle possible.

These prices will instantaneously put a crimp on anything but local camping. For many, even those pulling small trailers it will meana $1 every 2 or 3 miles.
Already am designing with more sloped aerodyamics. Already some stickbuilt and the teardrops DO have those means. Even the old pre-1950's trailers have good aerodyamics. Why didn't they keep that way? Noooo, I believe they saw gas was still so cheap and can make a brick shaped trailers all the way to last decade, the 2000's.

Now some new models this year and last year for the stick built really shaped nice aerodynamics. They moved seating or dinettes up front because that is reasonable where the lowest point ceiling in an RV is.

One time they had that nice looking aerodynamic travel trailers from Fleetwood in 1980 and it lasted 2 or 3 years. Then they went back to flat nose. I think I have that brochure and I will look that up and scan it and put in here.

Yes, I do collect brochures. Most of them 1975 and newer. I went to rv shows but never saw fiberglass egg trailers at all. Except for once, as my good memory serves me (has a mind like that character in the show Unforgettable), I saw a Burro in year 2000 CNY RV show (another of that show is next weekend at NYS Fairgrounds). I have a flyer type of brochure for that Burro. Never saw the brand at the show again.

I have a friend who also collect brochures. He may have some older RV brochures. Walter Miller Automotive Collection. Recently on ebay I saw a 1977 5er Scamp flyer brochure.

Back to aerodynamics. I designed my more sloped than any of the brands, old or new.

About tailgating. It has that 13 foot trailer size like a Scamp, Trillium, etc but the design is flip flop.. You all will have to wait till I file patent first then you all can have a sneak peak. I know about teardrops have that but my design is more hybrid. Total new concept.

If successful, I will be building one then my business plan works this way: what one becomes 2 orders becomes 4, 8, 16, etc..

So there you have it.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #25

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
wouldn't mind one with shania twain installed....but wifey wouldn't go for it
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #26

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
no peek....no poll answers
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Aerodynamics must be applied to rear as well as front of trailer. The air coming off the back side is very important. Consider Bucky Fuller's car design, which tapered the rear more than the front.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #28

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment. Yes, easy maintenance and easy to clean

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer? 6 cylinder (Chev Trailblazer)

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle? No, bought because it is small enough to sit in a residential driveway and not look offensive in size.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons? Yes, little maintenance, better overall durability, and easy cleaning inside and out.

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer? In and out during the day, changing, getting food/supplies, movies, naps etc.

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom? Bathroom is very preferable with shower.

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events? Not really

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new? Really doesn't matter as long as it is a quality product, the Little Snoozy seems like a good new model to me, it would be on my list to consider if I was in the market for a new one.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #29

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Alright I'll throw my two cents in here. I am currently in what many of you refer to as a stick built, although the sticks in mine are actually square aluminum tubes. But I could see eventually ending up in a FGRV. Right now at the top of my list is the Escape fifth wheel.

I'm going to go against the grain with the following....but I'll say it anyway: I want a slide out. I completely, totally enjoy my slideout....I'm sitting in it now typing this. There is no reason that I can think of that slide could not be incorporated into a FG trailer. It's just a really big hole in the wall...it's not a big deal. Sealing these things is not a big deal these days.

Next point: Norm made a great observation about these trailers being low, rounded and aerodynamic ( I'm paraphrasing ). How about this: I want an adjustable suspension. I know, it will cost. I'll pay. I want to be able to have the trailer nice and low to the ground ( and of course still nice and rounded ) for better towing on the highway ( higher fuel mileage, better handling ), but then I want to be able to raise it, maybe five inches or so for rough dirt road travel. I want a good suspension, with shock absorbers.

And I want the interior to at least look somewhat "residential".....like what I am sitting in now.
I want integrated solar panels too.
And some sort of low profile, yet high flow roof vent with a good fan in it, like a maxx-air that can be open and flowing when it's rainy. My Maxx-Air works very well in the rain, but it's not really low profile.

And put good tires on it too !

There......how's that for throwing a wrench in the works ?!

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
picking a trailer

Quote:
One of my jobs as a freelance designer, I am curious to ask all if not, most molded fiberglass trailer owners and to-be owners questions related to your wants in a new version of molded fiberglass trailer. You can share your thoughts here and discuss about alternations, new layouts, whatever. Also I may design some trailers that will revolutize and revive the RV industry that had been in a bad pothole since 2008. (many RV companies ceased operations in 2008-2010).

I will not reveal a design I came up with and only 3 people including my wife reviewed my concept on the drawing board and they said go for it!

Ok, please share!
I have a Escape 19, tow with a Tundra 5.7 V8, trailer loaded weighs 3400#, pulls nice with dual axles. I have also owned almost all the Bigfoot Trailer Models, like the Gaucho and CB 17ft, both 21ft FB and RB, 5th Wheel, 19ft Gaucho, Bigfoots are nice weigh a lot you need a full size tug for pulling.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #31

Name: Jude
Trailer: 1973 Honey Boler...
Alberta
1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment. I love the look of the Boler. It's modern and a throwback.

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer? Ford Explorer V6

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle? Yes and no. I don't have to worry about gas. I'm on a limited budget R.V. wise. This is my project and I only have so much cash to spare. When I redo it though, it will be a custom design.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons? Yes, that's why my first RV is a Fiberglass RV. I've never been interested in the stick version. I've never seen one that appealed to me in any way. I've been awed buy not enough to want to drive, park, store, clean, or repair a stick trailer. Although, I'd love to take a crack at an airstream.

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer? Well, since I've only ever camped in her once... So far, I've spent more time cleaning and ripping her apart
6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom? I would love a toilet/shower, but for now I can do without all the luxuries.

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events? Never been to one...

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new? As already mentioned the oxygen is very cool. I really like a lot of the european caravans, old and new. Some very interesting designs and products, I'm not sure why N. America is so behind the times...

As an aside, any concessions made for aerodynamics is a trade off for storage.
ceilityme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #32

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
One of my jobs as a freelance designer, I am curious to ask all if not, most molded fiberglass trailer owners and to-be owners questions related to your wants in a new version of molded fiberglass trailer. You can share your thoughts here and discuss about alternations, new layouts, whatever. Also I may design some trailers that will revolutize and revive the RV industry that had been in a bad pothole since 2008. (many RV companies ceased operations in 2008-2010).

Yeah it is of limited size. I have the Boler 1700. IMHO a 16-17 foot trailer is the smallest available with a toilet and a shower. Small beds are about their only real downside. Simple design started out as a septic tank. No patents on the design so it was actually adopted and built by many manufacturers. They changed the rv industry forever. No patent can do that.

V6 pickup without much towing capacity.

Was definitely a factor. Now all the rv manufacturers are scrambling to build ultralight trailers.

Yes because of one piece body, less leaks, long lasting rounded timeless designs. Hate the new bulge mobiles with slide outs. Like some of the new fiberglass laminate trailers with foam sandwich construction and aluminum frames.

Lots, cooking, eating, bathing. Depends on the weather and surroundings. Spend more time outside in rural areas.

No bathroom? May as well have a tent.

Never

I like boler and Uhaul but its hard not to like something new at least until you see the price tag.

I will not reveal a design I came up with and only 3 people including my wife reviewed my concept on the drawing board and they said go for it!

Ok, please share!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Alright I'll throw my two cents in here. I am currently in what many of you refer to as a stick built, although the sticks in mine are actually square aluminum tubes. But I could see eventually ending up in a FGRV. Right now at the top of my list is the Escape fifth wheel.

I'm going to go against the grain with the following....but I'll say it anyway: I want a slide out. I completely, totally enjoy my slideout....I'm sitting in it now typing this. There is no reason that I can think of that slide could not be incorporated into a FG trailer. It's just a really big hole in the wall...it's not a big deal. Sealing these things is not a big deal these days.

Next point: Norm made a great observation about these trailers being low, rounded and aerodynamic ( I'm paraphrasing ). How about this: I want an adjustable suspension. I know, it will cost. I'll pay. I want to be able to have the trailer nice and low to the ground ( and of course still nice and rounded ) for better towing on the highway ( higher fuel mileage, better handling ), but then I want to be able to raise it, maybe five inches or so for rough dirt road travel. I want a good suspension, with shock absorbers.

And I want the interior to at least look somewhat "residential".....like what I am sitting in now.
I want integrated solar panels too.
And some sort of low profile, yet high flow roof vent with a good fan in it, like a maxx-air that can be open and flowing when it's rainy. My Maxx-Air works very well in the rain, but it's not really low profile.

And put good tires on it too !

There......how's that for throwing a wrench in the works ?!

george

Hear, hear!

And make it approx a 30 footer or so. With 2 slides. Don't need adjustable height - I never go off pavement.

OK racing Firesuit on! Flame away!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My wife and I currently have a 17' casita Freedom Deluxe. We love the side dinette, bathroom, and the rear bed.

We bought it for light weight and aerodynamic shape. We have looked at new trailers but nothing fits all our needs.

Here is what we would want.

Rear bed where you do not have to "crawl over" the spouse to use the bathroom
a bit wider floor space

15" tires

Bathroom is definite

No rivets in roof

We love our casita, but would buy another trailer in a heartbeat if it was 19-22 feat, molded fiberglass, side dinette (captain chairs), Bed in rear without crawl 0ver, with a bathroom.

Hope this helps and good luck

Don
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #35

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe

Ok, please share!
1. Love the Boler shape!

2. 03 Nissan Xterra, V- 6 Supercharged, not great on gas (or the environment for that matter) but we are stuck with it for now.

3. Yes we bought it because it was small light attractive & easy to tow.

4. Most definitely fibreglass, from a family with 5th wheels, toy haulers and stick built 25-30ft trailers, we have watched years of problems with rot and rapid devaluation.

5. Not sure yet, reno'ing our trailer, it's our first as we were avid tenters...probably sleeping & afternoon naps for me (wife) and when it's raining hard...

6. Definitely no bathroom, we are young & happy to use park facilities or what have you.

7. May go to the racetrack occasionally. .

8. Boler !!
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #36

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
George, I don't think you really want a molded fiberglass trailer, at least not at what most current owners consider an affordable price, considering the changes you request.

BTW, you should ask Airstream about the slide-out. At an RV show last year I sat and visited with a company rep and was told it was a huge blunder. Too heavy, too expensive and moved out too shallow. They only made a few trailers with it and they were not great, not up to Airstream quality standards. A slide works much better on what you have (stick and staple) than on an aerodynamic style, especially molded. After all it's really IS a big hole in the wall...not "just" a big hole in the wall. And YES, it IS a big deal when you have to engineer it.

I'm like some folks who say a slightly bigger molded fiberglass trailer would be wonderful, 19' to 21'. I believe that's about as big as it could be done well with current technology, considering you are working with the characteristics of fiberglass.

Don

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #37

Trailer: Lite House
Registry

I like fiberglass trailers for all the usual reasons.

My tug is a 2011 4-cyl Tacoma. For my little 8 foot camper it works well but I've never pulled it over a mountain.

Yes. We were heading toward building a teardrop when the LiteHouse came along. We were able to buy it for less than what parts would have cost for the TD.

I've owned a stick-built trailer. There's a lot more that can go wrong with wood and aluminum.

Very little. Most of our trips are to music festivals where we set up a big canopy for picking and drinking. The camper ends up being our bedroom.

I would love to have indoor plumbing but the trade off's are not worth the costs (more maintenance, bigger tug required, etc.)

We host occasional jams at music festivals but having instruments inside a tiny trailer doesn't work. Instead we do them outside around a fire or under a 10x20 canopy we sometimes bring along.

I am partial to my LiteHouse but that's just because it's what I know. Your mileage may vary.

Ok, please share! [/QUOTE]
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #38

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Ok, please share! [/QUOTE]

1) Yes. the one thing I would change is the vertical ridge seam that wraps around it.
2) 6 Cyl Ford Escape. Bought it specifically to tow this trailer.
3) Yes, wanted small, easily towed trailer. At the time I was looking, none of the camper mfrs felt that small trailers were worth their time (not enough profit). I stumbled onto the FG website and have been in heaven ever since.
4) Most assuredly like the FG egg better. Less seams to leak, durable finish, easy to work on, simple clean aerodynamic design.
5) I sit in it and read sometimes during the day, it's my little 'happy place'. I enjoy being inside it as much as outside.
6) No bathroom. I'm trying to simplify. No bathroom means no pipes to worry about leaking, nothing to winterize, etc. Simple porta-potty and using the campground facilities.
7) No tailgating parties. Camping with friends.
8) Love my UHaul's interior smooth walls (double hull design like Burro, and the EggCamper). I do wish that it had insulation between the hulls.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #39

Name: Lina
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:

Ok, please share!
1) yes
2)6
3)yes and no
4)yes because they have style.
5) depends on the weather. If it's horrible all day otherwise we are out and about.
6)I need a loo, its was the deciding factor to give up tenting.
7)no.
8)makes no difference
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #40

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Size Matters
As an aside, fiberglass trailer can be made much larger, Witness the TRAVCO Class "A's" and the 25' Class "C's" they built in the 60-'s and 70's. And the beautiful GMC's of that same period. But it's just a lot cheaper to build with conventional construction when you start getting that big. It's all about $$$$$ and much less about ability. That said, next week, when gas goes over $5 a gallon, the cost of larger trailers made of lightweight fiberglass will start becomming more attractive.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote