Like your opinions on a new version of molded fiberglass trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Like your opinions on a new version of molded fiberglass trailer

One of my jobs as a freelance designer, I am curious to ask all if not, most molded fiberglass trailer owners and to-be owners questions related to your wants in a new version of molded fiberglass trailer. You can share your thoughts here and discuss about alternations, new layouts, whatever. Also I may design some trailers that will revolutize and revive the RV industry that had been in a bad pothole since 2008. (many RV companies ceased operations in 2008-2010).

1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment.

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer?

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle?

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons?

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer?

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom?

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events?

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new?

I will not reveal a design I came up with and only 3 people including my wife reviewed my concept on the drawing board and they said go for it!

Ok, please share!
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
One of my jobs as a freelance designer, I am curious to ask all if not, most molded fiberglass trailer owners and to-be owners questions related to your wants in a new version of molded fiberglass trailer. You can share your thoughts here and discuss about alternations, new layouts, whatever. Also I may design some trailers that will revolutize and revive the RV industry that had been in a bad pothole since 2008. (many RV companies ceased operations in 2008-2010).

1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment.

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle?

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons?

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events?

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new?

I will not reveal a design I came up with and only 3 people including my wife reviewed my concept on the drawing board and they said go for it!

Ok, please share!
1) Yes - prefer a molded F/G design. However, simple is not necessary. Bigger is always better (no exceptions)

2) Full size V8 truck is tug

3) Fuel economy was never a consideration in selecting a trailer

4) Prefer molded F/G because they do not have seams that open up and leak. Stick-built (or even the assembled F/G ones with seams) are timebombs waiting to rot!

5) Time other than sleeping? Very, very little

6) MUST HAVE bathroom, with shower

7) Tailgate parties? Never

8) Like Boler, Surfside and Bigfoot
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
ok here goes

I do love the side dinette option in the Casitas and Scamps.
Quote:

1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment. Yes, i love the shape.

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer? Dodge 1/2 ton, what ever that is?

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle? Yes, downsized to a smaller cheaper trailer.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons? I prefer the cozy feel of the smaller campers.

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer? I haven't got to use this one yet but i would think there would be days i will be in out of the heat or rain. Probably a couple hours a day.

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom? Bathroom defiantely.

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events? Nope.

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new? I like all the FG trailers and Im sure each brand has its pros and cons. Would be cool if Casita came up with a bigger one. Just for fun and just a couple of feet.

Ok, please share!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Commercial Member

New York
I just found out that Bigfoot is in operations again. They are in business under new management.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Ok, please share!
1] Yes, I like the design of my present trailer. (Scamp 13deluxe front bath)

2] 4CYL and 6CYL

3] Yes, but also for long term value and reliability.

4] Yes, long term value, better towability, style, durability.

5] As we travel we spend about as much time inside our cozy trailer as we would in a motel, and without the "ick" factor.

6] Certainly,yes...Would you want a motel room without a bathroom?

7] We find our trailer is ideal for use at the paddock, during a roadrace weekend... If it ain't got wheels, it ain't a sport!

8] Both , to some degree,but I prefer what I have, which is neither!

I too have a couple of new designs on the drawing board and have made significant mods on existing trailers,but I have the trailer I want.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
1.) Yes and no. have a 16' Scamp side bath - wish it had a front dinette option that could go back to bunks as needed- dont like the Scamps with side dinettes as they feel to confined due to loss of large front window.

2.) 4 cylinder

3.) yes - wanted only one vehicle that was easy to park in a big city, good in snow and could pull the trailer.

4.) Yes - way easier to maintain for years - do not root out.

5.) depends on the weather - if raining it might be most of the day reading or watching movies - sunny day - perhaps no more than a couple of hours.

6.) Yes with shower

7.) Not tailgate parties but big trailer meet up parties :-)

8.) Something somewhat new - Escape Trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I just found out that Bigfoot is in operations again. They are in business under new management.
Yup they have been for some time but they may only producing on or two trailer models currently? Yup new management as the founder of the company and 2 directors were killed a plane crash... which some might say is what lead to there recent troubles.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As I don't currently own a FG trailer but I will be in the near future looking to buy one.

1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment. I see the simplicity of not having seams and holes everywhere for water to enter as an advantage of the FG designs.

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer? Currently have a 4 cyl truck for use as a tow vehicle.

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle? I am looking at the FG trailer due to there lighter weight which should allow towing with a smaller tow vehicle.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons? I am looking at the Scamp and Big Foot trailer as the remaining companies only offer small trailers.

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer? I suspect we will spend little time in the trailer as I am planning trips to the National Park out west.

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom? Must have a bathroom.

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events? No

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new? I am interested in newer models. I am looking for a larger trailer where the sleeping area is not also the dining area.
George A Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
1. Yes, I'm very happy with my Escape 17B.
2. I tow with a V6 RAV4 (with tow package)
3. Purchased because it plenty of room for one, & I get 24MPG when unhooked.
4. The "eggs" hold their value far better than stick built trailers - many 20+ year old trailers are still on the road.
5. I spend most of my time outside the trailer but am comfortable if weather keeps me in.
6. Wouldn't have purchased it without the bathroom.
7. No tailgating. Spend most of my time photographing state & national parks.
8. I do like some of the Bigfoots I've seen, however they were a bit too heavy for my tow vehicle. Again, I'm very happy with my decision to purchase the Escape.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
yes...that is why we purchased it
we owned our TV first...knew about FGRVs but had to hunt to find one...just wanted something small that we could tow anywhere, park anywhere and be up off of the ground and not have to deal with wet canvas if putting away while it was raining.
yes, we do prefer FG---no rot, lightweight, good resale value and timeless design.
depends on the weather. oh, and time spent just sitting in it in our driveway, drinking tea and dreaming of camping!
no bathroom. we use the facilities where we stay. have a portapotty. most bathrooms are too tiny.
never

theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Opinions

1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment. Yes, because it means the trailer can outlive me.

We tow ith a four cyinder Honda CRV, good mileage, great reliability

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle? Bought a small trailer to go to places a large motorhome can't go like Labrador. Found out it was a fun and practical size vehicle.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons? Stick built trailers fail. They don't seem to handle long term physical stress and eventually permit water intrusion.

Breakfast 1 hr, Daytime 1hr, nightime before bed 4 hrs.

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom? Bathroom nice with age.

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events? NO, travel 7-11 months a year

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new? I buy used and always look for track record

Ok, please share!

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:

Yes I do.

6 cylinder Honda Passport

I have three campers, a regular stick built, an Avion (like Airstream) and the little fiberglass Playpac. I hated taking the truck every time I wanted to go. The big campers just seemed like too much work where the tiny Playpac I can almost pull by hand. I can still stand up in it and have a bathroom. Weight is everything!

I like the fiberglass for the weight and the ease of repair. It's nice to have a built in insulated layer between the walls and some of the glass eggs don't have that. I would like to have a composite floor instead of wood though and an aluminum frame like the Livinlite trailers have. They have a little video at their webpage. I like the aluminum cabinets and bunks also but I don't like the layout of their campers. Wish I could take the best of everything I like and have my own special egg.

Not a lot. Maybe a couple hours a day. Of course the weather can change that fast.

Must have a bathroom. I like a lot of the eggs but looked for the Playpac specifically for the layout. It's the same layout as the old Shasta compacts of the 60s and 70s except the fridge placement.

Nope

Both.

)
You better share your design!
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: Play Pac
Everyone keeps saying no rot but there are a lot of us that have replaced floors. They still leak but at least you don't have the insides of the walls leaking. Anywhere you cut into the glass you can eventually get a leak - vents, AC, windows, etc. I want a composite or aluminum floor and cabinets. That would sure take even more weight off.
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment. I sold my Burro. It was a bit too simple... no shower, no hot water heater. The layout didn't feel as open as I prefer.

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer? V6.

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle? Bought the Burro as a good match with existing tow vehicle, small enough to be easy to tow and rounded for better aerodynamics.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons? The molded FG is great for having less leak access points. But after selling the Burro, I could buy a new stickie for the same price as a 10 year old FG. So I sacrificed the aerodynamic shape (and about 2 mpg) but gained a nice layout and paneled interior that was not offered in molded FG.

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer? About 3 hours per day.

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom? Bathroom yea!

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events? never. I don't go to events.

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new? New is always nice.
You really should reward us with a peek at what you come up with.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
1. I like the simple design aka ease of maintainence, although I would like light weight drawers and doors factory installed.

2. V-6

3. Bought fiberglass camper for it's light weight, ease of towing, and easy set-up.

4. See 1,2,3

5. Not much

6. Would not buy it without a bathroom (the larger the better).

7. Never

8. No opinion

The ideal camper would be as wide as the EggCamper, appx 20' long, with a larger bathroom, have built in drawers, light weight, all electric. AND COST $10,000

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
Commercial Member

New York
Wow, great responses! Thank you so much! Please do still answer questions in my survey. I see mostly six cylinder SUV or truck owners liking their 13 foot but prefer to have bathroom and side dinettes. Bathroom to be bigger and go camping rather than tailgating. I think the cliche here is mostly camping. I am not a tailgater but I have a concept that is made for tailgating. I am not going to scrap that design because I am sure it will be great for tailgaters. Maybe the termology is not clear. I was thinking not just for sports but great for fireworks, field days/state fair, etc. Just a day drive to huge events that you can tailgate for such as in an example: my area in Central NY (Syracuse), we have NYS Fair, Turning Stone major events, many trade shows including RV, Boat, Big East Snowmobile Show, Chamber of Commerce Show, craft shows, etc.. all great within an hour. Also Oswego Harborfest (this year at the Harborfest is the Wanderlodge RV meet) and the Syracuse Nationals.

Most are at the State Fairgrounds except for Oswego Harborfest (best fireworks at Harborfest in upstate NY area says many.) All of those events I go for a day.. and I thought okay.. people seem want to cook their own since food are expensive at events. A soda at the State Fair--depends on where.. it cost 2 to 3 dollars for small can. Not bottle. Coolers not allowed so why not at your own trailer? At end of day, go home. That is what I was trying to find answers.

After I realized, I will have to design a 2nd version. More livable inside with some outside AND a bathroom large enough. Somewhere between traditional (like Scamp, Trillium, Casita, Escape, etc) and a new tailgating type of trailer. No, the tailgate is not like those lunch wagon. Far from it but leaning toward to that way. I can not reveal more on here with my concepts. Reason to the patenting and need to.

In 1972, I came up with IFS for production snowmobiles but I did not know anything about patent and Arctic Cat came out with that in 1979. That is a 7 years space of time. If I did, I would have gone have a drink with Trump, Gates, Jobs, Zukenburg, and many more guys on Wall Street counting each other money. Hahha. The latter part I am joking but the IFS concept is real. So, patent is important for me.

I will finish up with the tailgate version then I will make a new version for the trailer you all want and what my wife and I want. When built, I will sell it and see if it picks up. When I do, then I am on my way to see the big shots. hahaa. no. haha. I will actually built and built till its big enough to be a major company, I pray!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
For tailgating, the thing that comes to mind is a teardrop trailer with the back end opening up to reveal a kitchen. They make those. There's even a FG one called Teardropp, same company that makes the Eggcamper in Michigan.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Additional Input

With the headline of $6 gas on the way in the USA and some already paying near that in parts of the country.

My most important design parameter is that it have a low, aerodynamic frontal area, minimal weight and be capable of being towed by the smallest fuel efficient vehicle possible.

These prices will instantaneously put a crimp on anything but local camping. For many, even those pulling small trailers it will meana $1 every 2 or 3 miles.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I seldom use a campground, so the ability to camp off the grid is important. I like the 13-15 ft fiberglass trailers as they hold-up to off-road conditions better than stick built units, and are light enough for my Jeep wrangler to pull (rated to pull 2000lbs). Large fresh water storage and Solar would be nice, with batteries in a trap door compartment right over the axle. This would free up the tongue for more use(stow box). Aluminum frame, aluminum wheels, light-weight aluminum floor with cork flooring. Storage space glassed in place (no rivets) for potential leaks would be desired. A Port-a-potty with shower is fine if in it's own room. Seldom spend much time in-doors and never tail-gate.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Since I'm from Oswego I'm quite familiar with Harborfest, and have to agree that the fireworks are spectacular. I haven't attended in recent years (been traveling) but here is a link to some of the past celebrations: Harborfest 2008.

Although not exactly tailgating, for a number of years the city of Oswego allows dry camping along the river during the festival (they charge the same as they do for tying a boat in the river. A great way to avoid being part of the 150,000 people driving out of the city after the fireworks!
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote