Lincoln Highway history - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Lincoln Highway history

I seldom travel to go camping. I like to camp as I explore history. A couple of years ago, while camping in Iowa along the Lincoln highway in Grand Junction, IOWA I became more interested than ever in the Lincoln highway. Now called US 30, much of the highway has been lost to history. In planning my 2020 epic road trip I ran into this Wyoming PBS show about the Lincoln Highway. If you like the history of highway travel and camping, you will enjoy this hour-long show.
Attached Thumbnails
04IMG_2426.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
My cousins daughter is Mary Helen Preston. She is currently president of the Iowa Lincoln Highway Association. She lives in Belle Plaine. Her dad and grandfather were very involved in this organization attending many National meetings. If you ever get back to Iowa I would be happy to introduce you to Mary Helen and her Husband and to take you to a few little known landmark spots in Eastern Iowa. I live about 1/2 mile off of the Highway 30 portion of where the highway ran in Benton county Iowa. We’re proud of our Lincoln Highway history and love to share it. And the pie at the refurbished roadhouse the Youngville Cafe, about 6 miles west of us is pretty good too. Love those Historic Byways.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Lincoln and Jefferson Hwys in Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My cousins daughter is Mary Helen Preston. She is currently president of the Iowa Lincoln Highway Association.
Iowa Dave
I took a nap at the Jefferson / Lincoln juction two yeas ago when I had been on the road for to many hours.

The Jefferson Highway was a highway stretching through the central US from New Orleans to Winnipeg. The Jefferson Highway was replaced with the new numbered US Highway system in the late 1920s.

I was born in Iowa 70 years ago this month, and have driven the Lincoln many times over the years to visit relatives in Iowa and Nebraska. "Old thirty", the song and the highway, are part of my life.

Note to all; feel free to use any picture I post. (they are watermarked)
Attached Thumbnails
11lincoln.jpg  
Old 12-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

Iowa
History

72 years ago for me. My mother was born in Chelsea Iowa in Tama county and graduated from Belle Plaine High School. Highway 30 ran past my Elementary School. I went to Iowa State and crossed Lincolnway everyday. My first job out of college was in Council Bluffs where I applied for and received certification for the three level rotary squirrel cage jail on the National Register of Historic Places. So the Lincoln Highway has been a part of my life as well.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I just finished watching the whole 100 Years on the Lincoln Highway and it was definitely one hour well spent. Thanks for posting it!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Very interesting. Well worth watching.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Grand Junction, IOWA? Where is that? I see a California Junction just north of Council Bluffs. Was the Jefferson US75? that is the one that goes to Winnipeg. Now I-29.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Grand Juction, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Grand Junction, IOWA? Where is that?.
42.034074, -94.232027
At the time I was there, the local auctioneer was listing camp sites on Facebook. He was 2 blocks south of the Casey’s store. It was about a block north of the UP-rail line, and there was much rail history in the area also. He helped me find the old bridge in the picture and gave me an afterhours tour of the local Lincoln Highway museum I have never traveled the Jefferson, but they have a web page and a 2020 gathering in Mason city (the home of Iowa Electric railroad). Colonel; If you are in this group, thanks for everything and please jump in. https://www.jeffersonhighway.org/
Old 12-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Iowa
Hi Wayne,
How are things up Dubuque way? One of my daughters brought some Iowa Byways information home from the state fair a couple years ago and gave me two posters for the Lincoln and Jefferson byways. That got me interested. If you access the Iowa DOT website by searching Iowa Byways you will find a pretty complete picture of all of the things the DOT and the businesses on the byways have done to promote this interesting form of “ rural tourism” (my words). It’s worth a look. Combine that search with a visit to mycountyparks and you’ll be able to locate good camping that’s available in the counties where these byways run. The positives of traveling these roads are many.
Hope to see you up at McGregor in early May, the Byway up there is the Driftless Area. Have a nice holiday season
Iowa Dave
Old 12-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Lincoln Highway goes straight thru York,Pa, still some painted barns outside town with the Mail Pouch insignia....
Old 12-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #11

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
I live about a block from the old Lincoln Hwy in California. It passes through the tiny town of Banta and the folks that participate in The annual drive sometimes stop at the Banta Inn for a lunch stop. I love the history of this transcontinental Highway!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #12

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Traveling the length of the Lincoln highway is on my bucket list.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #13

Name: Judith
Trailer: Eriba Puck
NC
How can a hwy that runs from NOLA to Winnipeg pass through York PA? Asking for a friend.
Judith Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #14

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Neville View Post
How can a hwy that runs from NOLA to Winnipeg pass through York PA? Asking for a friend.
The Lincoln highway goes through York, PA. The Jefferson Highway goes from New Orleans to Winnipeg. Two different highways.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #15

NC
Are you sure that's not backwards? I live in NC and close to the Jefferson hwy.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #16

New Hampshire
Jefferson highway map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...9349999998&z=5

Lincoln highway map:

https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/

Judith, I think you are near the Jefferson Davis highway not the Jefferson highway.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Registry
Jefferson hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Neville View Post
Are you sure that's not backwards? I live in NC and close to the Jefferson hwy.
Must be two, see maps in the Alex Adams post.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #18

NC
Yes, you are correct. I reread this thread three times before I caught the difference. I apologize.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #19

New Hampshire
Link to the Wikipedia article on the Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway which goes through North Carolina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis_Highway
Old 12-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My Great grandmother was Jefferson Davis's second cousin, if that helps?

Tags
scamp