Look at the other side..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Look at the other side.....

I realize this is a glass egg forum and I am a big fan but saw this blog about a couple with "aluminitis" and there story about refurbishing their old troubled Airstream. Not that different from the folks on this forum that do the big reno's with the molded RV's.

Quite the story.... An Airstream Called Trouble
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks Wayne. I'm a former aircraft mechanic and watching the process she's going thru brought back many memories. She's quite the craftswoman, eh? Sheet metal was one of my specialties. I loved repairing and re-skinning airplanes and helicopters after crashes or ground accidents. It's as much art, as anything else. Good for her!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Different strokes for different folks.. RIGHT? I think I've gained knowledge, due to this forum to fix fiberglass... breaker bars, etc., etc., etc. not so much.

I can appreciate the knowledge other folks have gained to fix their trailers, but I ONLY want to know about experiences gained by all molded (fiberglass) towables. YMMV. As far as I'M concerned... go to some other forum!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

Michigan
I can appreciate the skill that goes into restoring any vehicle, trailer, boat, airplane, home, etc. Some of the methods, and all of the passion might even transfer to fiberglass trailers. This post was in the Hobbies section, and it has at least as much to do with fiberglass trailers as woodcarver, rockhound, painter, geocacher, woodworker, or quilter. OP has an Airstream, so it could be said that is his hobby? I like fiberglass molded trailers, but find others interesting as well.

Tom
Old 10-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No argument here. I just laugh
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #6
MC1

Ontario
Thnxs for the kind/wise words Tom.

For sure there are a vast variety of hobbies and passions out there and restoration projects apply to many of the forum members.

Before buying our Airstream we looked at a dozen glass eggs thinking we would reno one to suit our needs. Then we changed direction and got the aluminum bug.

One of our big projects was a kitchen make over. We bought HD counter top and faucet. Ikea cupboard doors, and went to work. Turned out great and these ideas could easily be adapted to a fiberglass trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
kit MG_4850.JPG   kit IMG_4693.jpg  

Old 10-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I love those kind of blogs. It's really amazing, that most of the time, people have never done something like this before, learned how to do it and then completed an amazing reno.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #8

Michigan
Nice job Wayne! Totally different look. What model, length, and year do you have? How far along is your restoration? I hope to see it someday.

We bought a new Scamp. Don't get me wrong here, because we love it and are proud as punch towing it, camping in it, showing it off, etc., but I'm secretly jealous when I see or read about someone restoring or renovating an old classic. The medium, whether it be fiberglass, aluminum, wood, or tin isn't really that important to me. My hats off to all of you that aren't afraid to learn and grow in the process.

There is no better feeling than the one I get when I completely rebuild something. If I was younger, that's the route I'd have taken. Now, time is a precious commodity and we have places to see, and people to meet, so we bought a new one. I'll always admire those of you that take the other path.

Tom
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #9

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
I've bookmarked "An Airstream Called Trouble" in my collection of trailer blogs for inspiration and ideas anyone can use. Thanks for sharing it, Wayne.

Tammie
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Some day, some time, some where someone is going to redo the inside of a fiberglass trailer in aluminum and this just may be the inspiration that takes them there. If mankind builds it I am usually interested enough to poke my nose into it. There's allot to learn out there.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I did the same Tammie and booked marked that link! Thanks Wayne for sharing and Tom you had some REALLY good points and thanks for that as well.
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thats really interesting, I also will be following it.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #13

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I'm impressed. She's a hell of a girl.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Nice job Wayne! Totally different look. What model, length, and year do you have? How far along is your restoration? I hope to see it someday.
We have a 73, 23' Safari (small dual axle). We did a lot of sprucing up in the beginning, mostly repairs. Then we replaced the orange shag with laminate flooring, the kitchen make over and new toilet and taps. There is no end to the improvements that can be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post

There is no better feeling than the one I get when I completely rebuild something. If I was younger, that's the route I'd have taken. Now, time is a precious commodity and we have places to see, and people to meet, so we bought a new one. I'll always admire those of you that take the other path.

Tom
I'm in the same boat Tom. The age thing starts to kick in and time. So many things to do it becomes more difficult to find the time to get it all done. Thnx for your interest.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #15

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
Well said, Tom: This IS a good forum for talking about hobbies. While I enjoy our fibreglass RV, I HAVE considered an Airstream in the past ( a Bambi). Nice to learn about repairing them. Might own one some day!
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have two fiberglass campers and one that is aluminum. Haven't read that blog yet but we have been in a few Airstreams that have had fantastic restorations and remodels done to them. Also camp with a couple that have one of the newer Bambi designer special models. No matter what the camper or vehicle is, or even if it is something we don't like or wouldn't want, we have to appreciate and admire the time and work that has been put into it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #17

Michigan
It doesn't matter to me what style or type of travel trailer / camper. When I see one that is refurbished or rebuilt, I smile inside. Of course I have favorites. I don't have to explain the attraction to fiberglass eggs to this crowd. I like Airstreams because it's the first TT I remember seeing as a child and discussing with my Dad. It also brings back memories of all the airplanes and helicopters I rebuilt over my career. I love the little canned hams too. I don't know why, they just look like fun. Same thing with teardrops. You can't help but wonder about the trailers and all the memories made in the past and all the future adventures in store for them.

I think it comes from the same part of my brain I use when I see a rescue dog.

Tom