Mountain Dulcimer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #41

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Its alot of fun! just 2 lessons You can figure out im playin love me tender and danny boy, and with the noter I can play loch loden(very badly lol) gonna take a while but enjoying it!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #42

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Its alot of fun! just 2 lessons You can figure out im playin love me tender and danny boy, and with the noter I can play loch loden(very badly lol) gonna take a while but enjoying it!

deryk
Glad you're enjoying it! I'm heading for a Dulcimer festival in May in Winchester, VA. taking the Snoozy as well. Great way to combine fun & fun!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #43

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post

deryk
I forgot to mention. I've had 2 lessons as well and am just starting to learn a few chords. My fav song thus far is Down in the Valley. The dog howls but I'll get better in time!!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #44

New Jersey
Registry
Lisa I figure the same thing...will get better the more ya prctice and the more time you put in it! I might make a festival or too myself this summer lol...trying for closer to home but we shall see lol.

deryk
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #45

Trailer: Boler 1984
It will get better. Aat first our jack Russell would walk out of the room whenever I attempted to practice. Now she lays on my lap beside the instrument. And..... People actually recognize what I play
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #46

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah...one day I will get to that point lol...just need to keep practising!

Deryk
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #47

Name: Loretta
Trailer: 2000 Scamp - 13'
Alabama
I have a beautiful hummingbird design Mountain Dulcimer. I have no musical training, but I love picking an old gospel song by ear. I would love to have a mentor.
Lolalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #48

New Jersey
Registry
heh I was just practising...Im not as good with a noter... think I need a calous, just cut myself a little sliding back and forth along the frets lol

Yeah I found out on saturday that a friend who the whole family is musical that their mom used to make dulcimer's and they all learned to play them as kids....so I have to bring it down to see him... might get an even cheaper lesson lol.

It is nice makeing music(or at least an attempt lol)

deryk

here is some free music EverythingDulcimer.com • Dulcimer Tablature - All Free for the Downloading!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #49

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolalo View Post
I have a beautiful hummingbird design Mountain Dulcimer. I have no musical training, but I love picking an old gospel song by ear. I would love to have a mentor.
There is a great online discussion forum called Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer: Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer - Appalachian mountain dulcimer players- make friends & your own dulcimer web page
You may be able to find a mentor there. I got a few tips from members on the website and actually found a wonderful teacher.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #50

Name: Loretta
Trailer: 2000 Scamp - 13'
Alabama
Thanks for the link, Lisa!
Lolalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #51

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
A mountain dulcimer sounds like fun and a great way to entertain yourself and others while camping. I took guitar lessons and played as a young teen. I put it down as soon as I turned 16 years old and started buying sports cars and motorcycles and discovered girls. I always regretted not sticking with the guitar and especially when I listen to some of my very talented friends play.
To make a long story short, I decided I wanted to relearn the guitar in retirement. But, then realized a guitar is too big to haul around in a small egg. So, I have taken up the mandolin, and been having a ball learning how to play it.
Now, while I'm not really a bluegrass fan, I do need someone to explain the jokes about the banjo. I once heard a banjo Dixie Land jazz band that was incredible!
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #52

New Jersey
Registry
I hang with a bunch of Irish musicians and the mandolin is a beautiful sounding instrument. I'm enjoying playing it...one day hopefully i will sound better lol

deryk
Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #53

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
In the past few weeks of traveling I've tried to pair up with a few musicians, a banjo player, a harmonica player and a couple guitar players. Some success with the guitar players, limited success with the harmonica player, and the banjo player and myself just played a bit for each other. All in all it was great fun.
I also have done two "around the camp fire" concerts with about a half dozen people enjoying the campfire, and maybe a bit the Dulcimer playing.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #54

New Jersey
Registry
Sweet! I'm envious lol...1 day. Life has been kinda busy...need to go down for a lesson but the weekends are filling up already

deryk
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #55

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
after reading this thread before and after Christmas we stopped in Branson southbound and my wife picked up a dulcimer and now in the process of teaching herself to play..
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #56

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Now, while I'm not really a bluegrass fan, I do need someone to explain the jokes about the banjo

It's kinda a standing joke within the stringed instrument community. A banjo has a very clean, sharp, distinct penetrating sound which can really cut thru the other instruments. Of course, as a guitar picker, I'd claim that I sometimes find that intrusive - the banjoists would tell ya it's really just repressed envy....lol...

Really, it's all good when you get to make music with anyone else playing anything else...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #57

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I didn't understand the banjo jokes either. Now I'm thinking bag pipes.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #58

Really, it's all good when you get to make music with anyone else playing anything else...

Now, bag pipes are maybe an exception to that rule - well, they are really weapons of war, aren't they - you more wield them than play them...
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #59

New Jersey
Registry
hey hey hey...I like them bagpipes!

deryk
Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #60

Actually, a bagpiper friend - an Australian bagpiper, yet - piped my wife and I into the church on our wedding day, then amazed the small community we'd just moved into by marching up and down our deck overlooking the harbour, in full kilt and regalia, playing the pipes periodically throughout the reception...quite the May 24th...