Mountain Dulcimer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Mountain Dulcimer

I started playing a Mountain Dulcimer. I wonder how many other Dulcimer players we have here.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Yes, so wonderful to be unplugged and even unstrung! as you can just bounce the music off those mountains and don't even need em. Old Hot Mud Family joke. I prefer banjo about which there are also jokes such as what's a banjo at the bottom of the river? answer: A start.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Yes, so wonderful to be unplugged and even unstrung! as you can just bounce the music off those mountains and don't even need em. Old Hot Mud Family joke. I prefer banjo about which there are also jokes such as what's a banjo at the bottom of the river? answer: A start.

jack
I think my favorite banjo joke is...
Did you hear the one about 3 musicians and banjo player walking into a bar?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #4

Name: JoJo
Trailer: Former CT 13 Owner
Connecticut
I like............"Paddle faster, I hear banjos."
Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Yes Byron, I have two dulcimers and other folk instruments that I made from plans found on line. You can find pictures of them in the thread called "A cut above". A couple of my carvings are there too.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #6

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
If you dropped a banjo and an accordion from the roof of a ten-story tall building, which would hit the ground first? (drum roll) Who cares?
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #7

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Love the sound of the mountain dulcimer. I'm trying to teach myself the ukulele. It's easier to play than guitar since I have small hands.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Keep at it - us guitar pickers love to have other sounds around to keep things interesting...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #9

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Ukuleles and fibreglass RVs are made for each other. My husband and I always travel with our ukuleles... a great way to spend an evening in a tiny trailer and a great way to make new friends around the campfire.
I have made little ukulele hammocks mounted above the side windows on our Trillium Outback to keep them safe and out of the way when we are not strumming.
55goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Yes Byron, I have two dulcimers and other folk instruments that I made from plans found on line. You can find pictures of them in the thread called "A cut above". A couple of my carvings are there too.
I just checked out that thread. Very nice work.
I find that I usually have several hobbies going with me, primarily the Mountain Dulcimer, woodcarving stuff, and ham radio. Of course there's the Kindle for reading.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Love the sound of the mountain dulcimer. I'm trying to teach myself the ukulele. It's easier to play than guitar since I have small hands.
Years ago I started to play a ukulele and guitar, but never got very good at it. I moved on to playing recorders with a group, then harmonica, now the Mountain Dulcimer. The mountain dulcimer has been the most fun and rewarding to me. It travels well.

I usually play the dulcimer a couple hours a day. When traveling it might be more. Always something to learn.

Keep working on the ukulele, an acoustical instrument is pretty much welcome every place we've been. It'll often gather a crowd.
Have fun.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55goddess View Post
Ukuleles and fibreglass RVs are made for each other. My husband and I always travel with our ukuleles... a great way to spend an evening in a tiny trailer and a great way to make new friends around the campfire.
I have made little ukulele hammocks mounted above the side windows on our Trillium Outback to keep them safe and out of the way when we are not strumming.
Traveling with small acoustical instruments is always a great thing to do. I've met a few guitar players while playing in camp. Sometimes playing together works well, sometimes not, but it's all fun and I've met some really nice people who want to know what thing is I'm playing on my lap.

Who knows maybe we'll run across you in our travels. We might just make pretty music together.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kristan View Post
I like............"Paddle faster, I hear banjos."
That has been in my signature on a few forums, especially canoeing ones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Scamp
A weary traveling banjo player stops at a motel for a brief respite from his lengthy journey. The motel is unfortunately in a questionable area, but he is exhausted. He parks his car and walks across the large parking lot, to the lobby, to procure a room. In horror he realizes he has left his car unlocked with his banjo sitting prominently on the front passenger seat. He races back to his automobile in record time…but alas it is too late; someone has already placed another banjo in the car…
Greg Yother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #15

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I'd never heard of a mountain Dulcimer until I read it here. Then the same night they used one in the movie I watched. "Safety not guaranteed" Very interesting concept for a film but I'd give 6.5/10. Probably not worth the watch just see the dulcimer.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
I'd never heard of a mountain Dulcimer until I read it here. Then the same night they used one in the movie I watched. "Safety not guaranteed" Very interesting concept for a film but I'd give 6.5/10. Probably not worth the watch just see the dulcimer.
I really common in south east US. A lot less so in North West, but use is growing. It's a fairly easy instrument to learn how to play, hence the gaining popularity. They're also relatively inexpensive as compared to other instruments. Maybe sometime I'll make a video and upload it.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
At the last Fall NOG I heard one playing from a couple of sites away. The sounds was soft and really pretty. I went over and met the owner and found out what it was. He liked it because it was small and he could take it in his 13' scamp easily. He gave me a couple of sites to research and I ended up getting one a month ago. I tried a ukulele, but my wrist couldn't handle the more complicated chords. With the mountain Dulcimer, I'm in a much better position and can play for an hour without pain.

Because I want to take this out in the trailer next year, I just purchased a hard case. I bought a break down shotgun hard case and modified it to fit. Below is a photo of it. I had enough room to put in a small box to fix strings, pics and a tuner. I figure this should keep it out of harms way while camping.
Attached Thumbnails
P1100022.jpg  
Old 12-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
At the last Fall NOG I heard one playing from a couple of sites away. The sounds was soft and really pretty. I went over and met the owner and found out what it was. He liked it because it was small and he could take it in his 13' scamp easily. He gave me a couple of sites to research and I ended up getting one a month ago. I tried a ukulele, but my wrist couldn't handle the more complicated chords. With the mountain Dulcimer, I'm in a much better position and can play for an hour without pain.

Because I want to take this out in the trailer next year, I just purchased a hard case. I bought a break down shotgun hard case and modified it to fit. Below is a photo of it. I had enough room to put in a small box to fix strings, pics and a tuner. I figure this should keep it out of harms way while camping.
Danny,
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It was nice to talk to you the NOG. Maybe sometime we can attempt to play together.
FYI.. If any of you get a chance to look at Danny's trailer, it's really a nice renovation.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks Byron. I'm terrible at remembering names. Thanks for the reminder. I ended up with a Black Mountain brand, which as I remember is what you have. I just had a friend over for lunch and he was surprised how nice a sound it can make. All I can play now is some easy tunes, but I did get a Celtic song book that I'm going to get to in a couple of weeks. It's so nice to listen to, it makes you want to practice.
Next time we meet we'll play a nice duet.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #20

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I've had dulcimers a lot longer than I have had my Burro. I wish I had owned the Burro back in the early '90s when I would make my annual pilgrimage to Galax, VA for the Old Time Fiddlers' Convention! You would see a lot of dulcimers (and every other kind of acoustic stringed instrument) there. I haven't been in 15+ years but just the title of this thread stirred up some great memories. Thanks!

BTW, my first dulcimer was made for me by a friend from my caving days. He used a couple of old black walnut boards we had cut from my grandfather's farm about 20 years before. Now that, my friends, is a mellow sounding instrument! I later bought a couple more, but that is still my favorite mountain dulcimer.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote